iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

big oak removal

Started by VT_Forestry, December 07, 2008, 02:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT_Forestry

A friend of mine lives in a place called Oak Manor, where his house is surrounded by huge white oaks.  Well one of them died a few years back and of course he calls up his buddy with the chainsaw to help him get it down so it wouldn't fall on his guest house.  I told him if he was worried about the tree falling on anything, he's probably called the wrong guy  :D  Anyway, I went and checked it out...35" White oak, 80' tall, 5 feet from his guest house.  As luck would have it, it was leaning away from the house and had a couple good sized branches on that side as well, so I was confident it would fall safely...which amazingly it did.  Now keep in mind that I'm no urban tree removal guy...I've cut down my fair share of trees but only tackle urban ones if I feel really good about them.  Here are a few pictures of the whole process, I know how you guys like pictures  :)

Just getting started...makes me look tiny

Backcut - 20" bar on a 35" tree takes some creativity haha

TIMBERRR

Safely on the ground

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Rocky_J

Nice work. That last picture shows that you understand hinge characteristics a whole lot better than you let on.  8)

beenthere

Nice job. Prolly the most dangerous part is the next step, to get it off that limb and on the ground safely.
Shows what a 20" bar can do, with the right skills.  :)

Getting a sawlog outta that?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

VT_Forestry

Quote from: beenthere on December 07, 2008, 03:18:59 PM
Nice job. Prolly the most dangerous part is the next step, to get it off that limb and on the ground safely.
Shows what a 20" bar can do, with the right skills.  :)

Getting a sawlog outta that?

These pictures were taken last year, so this tree is long gone.  I wish i had the capability to use it, it was clear for 33' until that first branch...but unfortunately I didn't have any way to haul it or mill it, and he was in a hurry to get it out of his yard so it got bucked up into firewood and hauled off.  Probably for the better, that thing was purple all the way up throughout the stem

Jeff

By the looks of it, even with the purple, it may have been worth the effort to try and saw it. That was a dandy.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

VT_Forestry

Yeah, I kept looking at it wishing I had the means of doing something with it other than burning it...but it was an hour from my house and I had no way of moving it.  Another good one goes up in smoke :)

WDH

VT,

Nice job and a beautiful log.  Too bad it did not go into lumber.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

I make it a point to introduce myself to tree guys around town.  Many of them are "small" and do not have heavy equipment.  Most have said to me, "I wish I would have known about you last week.  We cut up  a huge walnut, cherry, maple, oak just to get it out of there.  I felt terrible about that beautiful log getting cut up, but..."

These introductions have been going on for four years now.  Only one has ever gotten back in touch. :(

That is a good looking log.  I bet it split wonderfully. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

VT_Forestry

Quote from: metalspinner on December 08, 2008, 07:55:02 AM

hahaha, probably the best log I ever split  :D

Ron Scott

Well done! Those single logs, even of good quality, are sometimes hard to get removed in their "log form". Everyone wants them until its time to pick the up. :D Then when they see them being cut up for firewood, they wish that they had, but the landowner can't wait forever.
~Ron

Roxie

Wow!  I'm glad you had pictures of that.  Great job! 

Say when

VT_Forestry

Thanks!  It was a lot of fun cutting it, definitely one of the bigger trees I've had the luxury of taking down

Dodgy Loner

Good job dropping that tree!  I've gotten some logs from a tree that size that was taken down (not by me!) with a saw with a 14" bar :o.  Tore up the heart pretty bad on the butt log, but there was still plenty of good wood in it :)

I've loaded several oaks that size onto a trailer using just a couple channel iron ramps and two hand-powered winches that were used to raise the doors on chicken barns in their previous life.  The largest one I moved was 38" in diameter on the big end, 34" on the small end, and 10' long.  I always mean to take pictures whenever I use the rig, but I never do :(
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

blaze83

VT,

nice job on the fall, not an easy thing with an undersized bar...face cut was nice and level, back cut aligned perfectly. ver low stump pull and presto...fell right were u wanted...again  nice job....would love to have been there to help..something about falling a tree that gets the heart pumping haha, to bad no one close by with a mill...woul have loved to had the lumber bor my shop floor.

god bless,

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

DR Buck

Quote from: metalspinner on December 08, 2008, 07:55:02 AM
I make it a point to introduce myself to tree guys around town.  Many of them are "small" and do not have heavy equipment.  Most have said to me, "I wish I would have known about you last week.  We cut up  a huge walnut, cherry, maple, oak just to get it out of there.  I felt terrible about that beautiful log getting cut up, but..."

These introductions have been going on for four years now.  Only one has ever gotten back in touch. :(

Most likely didn't get back to you because they are sawing them up and selling as firewood.    :(     At least that's they way it goes around here.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

metalspinner

Yeah, sometimes.  But often, they are just dumped at the landfill or put on side of the road for the city to pick up around here.  Our winters are fairly mild and we have lots of trees and forests.  My guess is that firewood supply is plentiful.

We can't save them all... :(
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!