iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bike trip 2019

Started by Raider Bill, May 14, 2019, 03:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on August 21, 2019, 12:12:28 PM
I am a great proponent of seat of the pants bike trips.
Figure out a destination or at least a direction and run till ya need to stop.

The bear tooth is on my list too!
Great minds think alike!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

goose63

Bill if you make it to Deerlodge Montana go to the old Montana stste penn and see the old cars thy have a bunch of them there
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Raider Bill

I'm thinking about seeing Glacier Nat'l Park, if so that's about on the way from red Lodge.

Weekend_Sawyer

We went through glacier national park in 2016.
It is a beautiful area, can be a bit trafficky.
As far as the glaciers go they are almost gone from the park.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

I leave at 7am tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

chet

May da snow in da passes hold off for ya.  ;)   Bikes and snow are a bad combination.   :o
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Weekend_Sawyer

I guess bill is just about to let the clutch out.
Good luck my friend, wish I were there.

Jon

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

He's probably at Ihop right now.

Raider Bill

Roxie

Say when

Magicman

You are a bit late for the 79th.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Weekend_Sawyer

That was one heck of a hop from Tenn to Sturgis!

Raider Bill

Red Lodge, Montana for the night.
Rode over the Big Horn range today. Beautiful!
Tomorrow Bear Tooth Pass.

Raider Bill

Bear tooth pass and chief Joseph highway today with side rides up to Cooke city. Spending the next few days in Cody, wy.

Dan_Shade

Are you shipping luggage from one hotel to the next?

;D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Raider Bill

Another great ride on the books! South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.
Taking a page from Weekend Sawyers book I shipped the bike so the actual riding started and ended in Rapid City.
We rode 14 days, 2300 miles staging out of Deadwood, Red Lodge, Cody and Jackson Hole for multiple days of local riding. Spent single nights in Thermopopolis Wy, and Custer SD.
First week was t-shirts. Second week was Chilly! The last big ride across Wyoming was Cold rain, real windy and snow flurries up on the higher elevations. We stopped for gas and the gas station attendant asked me where I was headed and what route. When I told him over the range he advised me to turn around as the pass was going to be closed for snow. We took his advise adding a couple hours to the trip but that night sure enough it was on the news that they had closed the pass.

What a beautiful country we have!.

Yellowstone Canyon

Magicman

Congrats on a successful and eye filling trip!!   Thanks for sharing a small part of the adventure with us.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

muggs

I love travel pics. I need to hit the road. 8)

pigman

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

That last picture is a snowplow that was made from a track. They welded a quick connect off a bobcat on it.
Talking to the owner he says the snow there is light and fluffy so it works well. Where I'm from originally in central NY the snow is wet and heavy due to lake effect and probably wouldn't work well.

Saw several real cowboys. Most all of them wore a straight bladed knife in a back handed draw sheath. Anyone know why? I've never seen that before.

The picture of that old Harley Shovelhead all wire tied together was sort of a funny story. We saw the bike broke down on the side of the interstate in the middle of BFE. Of course we stopped. Oil was pretty much just pouring out of the motor as there was a big puddle underneath I figured he's blown the motor, nope He'd run out of gas. Owner had just got out of prison and was riding to his first job since. We were just getting ready to go find him some when the other bike pulled over. That guy had suitcases strapped to just about everywhere he could on his bike as you can see. He asked need anything? We said some gas. He had a 2 gallon jug full in one of the suitcases. What's the chance of that?
Anyway, his story was he had lost his house and everything he owned was on that bike. He was just riding the country camping off back roads and had been doing it for 8 months so far.
Offered us some fresh caught cutthroat trout which I declined and off he went.

Our favorite town we visited was Red Lodge Montana. Sue Ann described it as where the Hippys and the Cowboys live. Least favorite was Jackson, Wyoming. Expensive and snooty although the Tetons were beautiful!
The Firearms museum in Cody was amazing!

Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Hwy, Big Horn and Wind River range,  Themopolpolis and Snake river gorge were our favorite rides although the were all good except the long cold ride back across Wyoming in the rain and snow.

Yellowstone was sort of a let down as there seemed to be more dead trees than live ones. Ranger said it was due to pine bore beetles.

There was a pretty good sized forest fire outside Cody that caused a lot of smoke in the area.
I love walleye but can't get it here in Florida. Turns out it's South Dakotas stae fish so I ate a bunch of it!

samandothers

Great looking places you visited, love the pictures!  When I saw the broken down bike I wondered whose it was, figured not yours.   Pack mule was what came to mind when I saw the bike with all the luggage strapped to it.

Thanks for sharing! Glad the trip was a safe one.  Oh, the food looks fantastic!

RPF2509

The back handed draw is probably to avoid the knife getting in the way of the seatbelt buckle.  Not all cowboys ride horses these days and most of them are in a pickup with lots of driving.  I know my knife gets to digging in my side after a few hours bouncing in the truck if its on my right.  I might have to switch and try that backhand method out.  A fixed blade can be drawn and used while the other hand is busy hanging on to something.  No need to let go to open a folder.  Plus a fixed is just stronger than any folder.  Mostly I carry a leatherman in my leg tool pocket.  A bandanna stuffed alongside keeps it there.

Roxie

That knife sheath is called 'horizontal side' carry.  If you're on a horse, you don't want to be trying to wrench a knife out of your jean pockets, and a vertical sheath banging into your leg or saddle. 

It's just more comfortable. 

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!