iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting To Get Depressed

Started by Autocar, October 30, 2014, 08:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

With all the wet weather here in west central Ohio and the late planting, the crops are slow to come off. I stopped and talked to the farmer about shelling a path though the corn so I could get started before the weather falls apart. But he dosen't have his beans off yet and didn't want to change the head which I understand then on top of that they twisted a shaft off the combine and was waiting for the part. Drives me nuts standing around while you see log trucks running up and down the highway. I am a small operator and don't like getting to far out on the limb with to much bought but this time it is looking like I will get bit in the butt and have to wait.
Bill

luvmexfood

I know what you mean. It rained here for a week. Then again yesterday. Get in the woods to skid and the ground is still wet under the leaves. Now there calling for a major snow this Saturday. I've cut about all I can find that is on the edge of pasture where it dries faster. Got some bills to get paid.

Bet I have put in over a hundred job applications with no luck. Even tried a grocery store. Oh well. Just hang in and keep trying.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

mesquite buckeye

It's not just the head you have to change. You have to switch the sieves inside the combine too. It is not trivial. If they don't get the beans out soon, they might not get them out at all.

Is there any other way you can access the woods? You could always offer to hand pick the corn to clear out about 4 rows across the field. If you are totally stuck otherwise, that could make it work. Sorry to hear you are stuck.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ed

While I'm only cutting firewood for 2 outdoor boilers, I know how you feel. The deep snow last winter and all the storms left me cleaning trees out of the fields instead of stockpiling logs for this year.

Beans were planted late, still haven't dried down enough to think about harvest.

Been cutting where I can access off the road or drive along the edge of the field. Unfortunately this makes for a long haul to the landing, burning a lot of daylight. Much of the Ash I'm cutting are snags...slows down the process even more. The location makes it easy for thieves to take anything I leave overnight, so everything has to be gone at the end of the day.

I finally moved to a more secure area where I can leave what is "stove ready" piled until needed and it's only 350 yards from the landing where the logs can be safe until they are cut & split.

Ed

furltech

It is down right sad that a man has to work all day and take his wood home, so some other jerk dont steal it from him at night .

Bert

QuoteIt is down right sad that a man has to work all day and take his wood home, so some other jerk dont steal it from him at night .

Amen.
Saw you tomorrow!

BargeMonkey

Quote from: furltech on October 30, 2014, 12:36:29 PM
It is down right sad that a man has to work all day and take his wood home, so some other jerk dont steal it from him at night .
X-2   I have 4 cameras on my jobs; I see everything. Have a dated picture of everything including the deer who walk thru. I got ripped off for 300gal of fuel and some tools a few yrs ago. Best part, it was another local loggers brother but I couldnt prove it. We have so much remote land around here they would never find a body, hardest problem is digging the hole without hitting a rock.  :D
Sorry to hear you cant get much done, rained again yesterday and talks of cold weather and snow this weekend put me in a bad spot also, cant clean up, cant haul, and cant move my equipment out.

Ed

Quote from: furltech on October 30, 2014, 12:36:29 PM

I've never given them the opportunity to take "stove ready" wood. So no problems with that growing legs.
Last year we did have several Ash fall that went into the road, Dad went and topped them out, stopping about 6' off the road. Before I could cut the logs and skid them away, someone with a saw helped themselves to part of the logs.......

With the deep snow last year, lots of people were desperate for firewood, they had no way to get into the woods without plowing, the next day it would be drifted in. I was lucky, my NH2120 had no problems getting through, used the skidsteer to clean out a landing at the field entrance, skid, cut, split, haul, leave nothing to take but bark & sawdust.

Ed

Autocar

Finely I have been able to track down the owner of the ajoining farm he told me it was ok with him but had to get the ok from the fellow that farms it . Got that taken care of so Monday looks like I am back to logging  8).
Bill

lopet

That's good news. I know what you're talking about . Same here, crops coming off very slow with late planting and wet conditions. I too have to go through a field  but it was wheat, witch is off  a while ago.  I just  do some cutting  when it's wet and try to skid it out when it's a little drier  and haul it trough the field on one one of the better days.  Got about 15 - 16 dump loads home and I am probably  a little more than half way.   Rain and snow tomorrow, Sunday and Monday dry, than wet again on Tuesday. Any hoe that's that's they're talking about around here.   
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

mesquite buckeye

Cool. ;D

Good job, Bill, finding an alternative solution. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Autocar

We got some snow Friday night and Saturday morning and it melted in the afternoon, I just drove over to the job and checked the soybean stubble field. Wondering if I should just forget it I was picking up mud on my shoes I have to use another mans drive way to get into the field. I am dealing with there other persons owners/farmer that farms the place plus the guy I bought the trees from making four fellows I have to keep happy makes me nervous already, this time of year it can change so fast. There calling for rain on Tuesday I may be better off to hold up then get started and end up wetter on Tuesday and having the equipment sit there for a while. These are the times when I miss my dad his thoughts seem to give me a direction  :(.
Bill

SPIKER

I agree Ohio weather was a long cold winter, late spring rains that kept tractors out of the fields and now late fall rains keeping the slow crops even too wet to harvest.   Lots of issues for the farmers this year, including a major drop in prices for the grains.

My place I took out some loads of fire wood yesterday 40 bucks for a 1 ton pickup full.   :( yep no one has much $ & left ruts thru the yard.   Guess it is at least some $ vs the guy who I caught with a cord in the back of his trailer out of my woods gave me 25 bucks...

I took Sat afternoon in the rain/snow mix to work on the bridge/rocks the guy damaged by pulling the loaded trailer thru pushed out some of the large rocks I had placed.   Got a few more loads of rock and several of the BIG rocks loaded up& placed to try & stabilize the thing...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

lopet

I am kinda getting to that point too. Rain  rain rain   and now snow in the forecast. I have about 25 cord laying in a field and another 25 coming out of the bush and the guy wants to plow the field. :o
Some guys don't even have their beans off. What a year.
Glad I have only 40 acres of corn left to do.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Thank You Sponsors!