iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help identifying some trees

Started by KenBala, August 31, 2018, 02:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KenBala

Hello All.  I live in the woods in SE Pennsylvania.  I have a basic level of knowledge when it comes to tree identification and would appreciate some help.  Below are 11 trees I either don't know what they are or want to make sure I am right.  Any help would be appreciated.  Feel free to laugh as the pictures get more and more wet - I was at the furthest point away from my house when it started to rain and I refused to stop at that point :D.  Thank you!

1.  White Oak?

2.   Gray Birch? 

3.   Hickory?

4.   Cherry?

7.  Red Maple 

thecfarm

A nice area you live in. Been there many times.
I have a very nice book,I got it from the state of Maine forestry department.Did not even knew they had one. I went to a forestry seminar and the books was free. Got a few more for friends and grandson. They send me the book and than I send the money.   :o   I have no idea if PA would have one or not.Just saying,a book is nice to have. Just keep it out of the rain.   ;D

Maybe here
PA DCNR - Forest Stewardship Bulletins
Or at least a start.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

olcowhand

Hey KenBala,
I'll go "Out on a Limb" to try some guesses. Don't be surprised if someone doesn't come along and correct me, cause I'm probably the 2nd or third dumbest guy on this site (and if I rank that high, I still couldn't tell you who's dumber...). At least I'm trying to help...
I'd call your number 4 Black Birch, but that bark is a little different than most I've seen.
Both 8 and 9, I'd think is Ash.
Not only do I hope I'm right for my sake, but I hope you ultimately get the correct answers.
There are some very knowledgeable folks on this site, and they'll be along to help in due time.
Good Luck.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

curdog

1 is chestnut oak
I'd call 2 and 4 black birch and possibly 5 as well
3 looks like hickory
7 red maple
8 ash
10 looks like basswood

WDH

1).  Chestnut oak, a white oak.
2).  Beech
3).  Pignut hickory
4).  Black birch
5).  ?
6).  Black oak
7).  Red maple
8    Ash
9).  ?
10). Basswood
11).  ?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KenBala

Thank you guys!  I'll have to try to get some better pictures of the ones that remain a mystery.

Thank You Sponsors!