Meet Michelle

Started by Tam-i-am, January 23, 2019, 05:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

We made a custom pair of table legs that we really like and decided to offer them to our customers.  We are working on bench legs to match and would like your opinion. Her is the Michelle 28" table leg.

Working with the 17" height parameter causes a little problem with creating the bench. 
(give me a second I have to change the file format of my pic)
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

olcowhand

Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

samandothers

Nice hour glass figure! ;D

Tam-i-am

so disregard that I am not a good photographer and the legs are not straight to the camera and gives the outside of the leg a weird look.

Which leg does everyone like better?  both are stable   the top flange is the same as our other legs 12"
The wide leg is 18" wide at the bottom(the same as our other bench legs) while the slender leg is 12" wide.

thecfarm

I like the looks of the wide.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

I vote for wide too, less easy to tip and a bit more elegant, I think.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Weekend_Sawyer

Well, heloooo Michelle!

I likem both!

That was a lot of help wasn't it.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

DR_Buck

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Hilltop366

I prefer the wide for me as well but I was thinking it might look even better if the bottom was 15" or 16" instead of 18".

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

I think the wide looks cool due to the taper of bottom to top, could you modify the smaller one to be proportioned to the larger, like 8 inches as the top and 12 at the base, to match the "figure"  of the table base.  Just throwing out ideas, are these prototypes?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Wallys World

Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

samandothers

Yeppers, wide for stability of the bench.

olcowhand

Which one is shown under the table in the first pic? I like that look. I also think that each version would look good when paired to the right top.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Raider Bill

We really need a picture of Michelle for comparison
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

pep

Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Magicman

I'll go against the grain and choose the narrower version because the table in the first picture looks very well proportioned.  The bottoms of table legs are normally inset 4"-6" narrower than the table top.  The table is not going to tip over and the wider version could interfere with chair legs. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

For clarification, I thought the legs we were discussing for the wide versus narrow were for the bench.  Therefore I thought the wide would be better suited for a stable bench.  If for the table, I too will go for narrow at the bottom for similar reasons and MM.

doc henderson

I think the one is 12 at the top and 18 at the bottom, the narrow appears to be 12 and 12,  I would use wide for a table and narrow for the benches.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Yes, in proportion to the table top width.  I would prefer that the bottom width of the table legs be 8" to 12" narrower than the table top.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tam-i-am

Quote from: olcowhand on January 25, 2019, 06:00:38 AM
Which one is shown under the table in the first pic? I like that look. I also think that each version would look good when paired to the right top.
The first picture is the Michelle 28" table leg.
Scaling it down for a matching bench leg has caused some problems getting dimensions to work as we want to keep the height at 17".

Tam-i-am

Quote from: Hilltop366 on January 24, 2019, 02:17:25 PM
I prefer the wide for me as well but I was thinking it might look even better if the bottom was 15" or 16" instead of 18".
Good idea!  I think we will try making another pair.

Tam-i-am

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 25, 2019, 08:11:05 AM
We really need a picture of Michelle for comparison
I usually don't post pics of the girls we name the legs for but here is Michelle and Alissa from Axewomen.