Woodland MIlls

Started by Saber, April 04, 2020, 01:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber

Hello Everyone, 
So Ive decided this is the mill I want to pull the trigger on and purchase,
 HM130MAX Sawmill. 

My Question is for Owners of Woodland Mills saws, 

Would you own another one?  If so why?   or if not why not??  

I have read in the forums that the help desk is excellent and the support is that way also. 

Looking to purchase it in the next few days. 

Any HELP is appreciated. 

Thanks !!
Learning something new every day !

Bandmill Bandit

I dont have one BUT I have 2 local friends that own that exact mill, both purchased about 2 years ago. I spent about 2 days with each of them "teaching" them the ins and outs of milling and a I get regular calls when they run into an issue. Ones a Farm kid that is good with equipment and the other a young dentist that is a fast study and getting real good with his little mill.

Woodlands builds a great little mill! One of them runs side by side with an LT15 and there isn't much difference cept for color.

I would recommend at least 1 extension. 10 foot logs get too short for a lot of projects real fast. You want to be able to easily handle up to 16 foot logs and 1 extension gives 16'10" cut length.

Consider location of dealer support. Wood land has a good reputation BUT if your nearest dealer is in Canada you may want to rethink your purchase. IF you do rethink it, then you want to take hard look at the Orange paint. You dont want to be more than over night from parts.  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

bags

Welcome to ForestryForum.

I have a HM130--- don't know about the MAX.

I have a 1000 acre log lease and mill a lot of timber for furniture through the year. The 130 is a darn good machine with good support. Up grades are easy to attach. I have a power feed that doubles my production. Soon as things warm up here and the snow stops come'in down, I'll install a power clamp and log turner. Not much different from a smaller mizer other than the extra cash for the orange paint.

btulloh

I have the HM126, not the 130.  Very happy with it.   I still think it was a good value and I'm glad I have it.  The HM130 max would be an all-around upgrade and they've made a lot of improvements since I bought mine.  They were nice enough to send me free upgrades during the warranty period.  The few issues I had that required factory parts were overnighted to me with no hassles, sometimes when I didn't even need them right away.  Very few issues, mainly a clutch and a dog that was welded out of line. All of the consumables like belts and bearings are stock parts that are available locally.

Good luck with your sawmill journey.  It's a very exciting and enjoyable trip.
HM126

thecfarm

Dealer support can be important. I have a Thomas. I only contact them for blades. I had to buy one guide wheel too. Just like I have a OWB, Heatmor. I can count the times on one hand, I had to call him with questions. I could do it with 3 fingers, I think. Yes, I bought blowers motors and gaskets for the motors. But just saying, if these two dealers was not close by, it would not matter. Not much can go wrong with a manual mill.
Chainsaws and tractors I use a lot. I want them close by.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Saber

Thanks for all the comments, HM 130 max is ordered and I await the delivery.  I will  add photos of assembly and first cuts as they become available. 
Learning something new every day !

MDean

I've been doing a lot of lurking and reading, and also have decided to purchase a HM130MAX. Seems like a solid machine. Good luck on your future sawing adventures. 

RichTired

Welcome to the forum! And good luck with your sawing adventures... 8)
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

thecfarm

MDean, welcome to the forum.
What's the plan for the lumber?
Get yourself a Logrite cantdog or a peavey to help turn them logs. Sponsor on the left, nice people, made in the USA. logrite_cool
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MDean

Thanks Cfarm. First project is to build a pole barn to house mill and such. After that who knows, I have some cedar logs I cut couple years ago that need to find a project. I'm just soaking up as much info as I can, but I've always been one for hands on learning. 

trimguy

Saber and MDean ,Welcome to the fun !! Congradulations on the new mill.

Ryanbates

So I am brand new to the forum (first forum ever actually) and awaiting my 130max to show up early July they said. Have you gotten yours up and running? How do you like it? Any tips/tricks? 

goose63

Welcome to the F.F. you guys I have a 2013 126 have it set up to cut 21 feet on a trailer its great mill thinking of selling it to get the 130 the last big log was a chore on the 126

35inch on the big end
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

MDean

I received mine a couple days ago. Started assembly and there were 2 gussets missing. Awaiting their arrival to continue. Just make sure you have an area big enough to lay things out. Good luck!!!

Geotech

Why have you decided to pull the trigger on the Woodland Mills over the EZ Boardwalk?  I'm curious because I thought the Woodland Mills would be they way to go but have since changed my mind.  Seems like the EZ is better in most ways and an added plus that it's manufactured in the US. The EZ is a little more expensive, but not buy much all things considered.  

MDean

Quote from: Geotech on June 09, 2020, 08:38:01 PM
Why have you decided to pull the trigger on the Woodland Mills over the EZ Boardwalk?  I'm curious because I thought the Woodland Mills would be they way to go but have since changed my mind.  Seems like the EZ is better in most ways and an added plus that it's manufactured in the US. The EZ is a little more expensive, but not buy much all things considered.  
I really went back and forth between the HM130MAX and EZB40. I really liked the bigger engine, made in USA, and preassembled that the EZB40 offered. But for me I liked the trailer option better on the Hm130, loading ramps, winch, toe boards and such. All these things were available or could be fabricated for the Ez40, but I was about $2k higher on EZ without toeboard, ramps, spare part kit, and extra clamp. And after thinking about it, I really don't want to mess with a 40" log being a solo act on a manual mill. And the Ez only has a 4" wider max cut, if I recall correctly. 

thecfarm

Ryanbates, welcome to the forum.
This is a nice forum, not like some that swearing and picking on others is ok.   ::)
What's the plan for the lumber?
You will need a cantdog or a peavey, to turn the logs. Get a Logrite,  logrite_cool sponsor on the left, nice people. Made in the USA, get some Blue Creeper too. Website has all the info.  

Ryanbates

I have a cantdog coming from woodland with the mill. I make furniture for a living, mostly slab work now, and live on 1000 acres in the land of 100' pines. Also, plan on moving building our big house in the next couple of years and my parents will start building their house this fall. So the 130max should get plenty of work.

richfrazier

I have the hm126 and love it. No regrets at all. I got 1 track extension and built a second for a 21ft log. You will want a loading rack to make loading logs easier.
For a hobby mill mine was worth every penny.

Farmer_Ray

Quote from: Saber on April 07, 2020, 11:11:07 AM
Thanks for all the comments, HM 130 max is ordered and I await the delivery.  I will  add photos of assembly and first cuts as they become available.
Saber:
How well did that go? It's been almost a year gone by but I don't see you posted any further comments. I am looking into buying the HM130MAX Woodlander and would like to hear how this is working out for you.

dogbo2013

I have been running the HM 130 Woodlander for 3 years now. No complaints! Woodland Mills has excellent customer service. I have cut several thousand bd ft of lumber. It does a great job. I don't have experience with any other mills. 
GMB

RutnBuck

I am also VERY new to milling, in fact so new I don't even own one yet and am still in the 'research' phase.  I know there are many good products on the market and differing opinions on all but for the money and use (i.e. mostly hobby) I have been leaning towards the 130max.  The question I pose to everyone would be . . . how available are parts for your Woodland Mills mills?  I looked at the website and by all appearances the primary HQ is up in Canada.  Is that also where they build the mills and distribute parts?  Or is there a US division and if so, where in the US.  Thanks for your thoughts and comments!

Bandmill Bandit

Wood land has done a good job of designing their mill around common parts available through most industrial/ ag parts suppliers. I have a Woodmizer and there is very little in the way of parts that I cant get locally through one of the Ag dealers and/or NAPA industrial and Ackland Grainger. A local friend has an HM 130 and he says that same is true of his mill as well. Go get one or do an LT15 GO. Pretty much the same mill with a marginally better build in some areas.  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!