iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Web page question

Started by Engineer, February 15, 2005, 05:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Got a web page question for those of you "in the know".  I'd like to put together a page detailing progress in my house construction, basically a page of photo thumbnails by date and category, which people can click on to get the full size photo; plus a bit of space for an occasional commentary about the photos or the progress.  I don't know where to find the web space or how to set up the page.  Can anybody point me in the right direction for some self-help on this subject? 

crtreedude

I think Jeff was offering free space to forum members at one point - Jeff - are you there?
So, how did I end up here anyway?

crtreedude

Yep, still there - go over to the full members section.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jeff

Yep, full members get space. However, the manager program for that has not been made to function on the new server yet.  Info is in the full members section right at the top.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DouginUtah

Jon,

There is a (new) program available, purchased by Google and now free, which will organize all the pictures on your computer into an album.

One thing it does is create a web page of all the pictures in a folder. Really slick. I've just been playing with it for a couple of days. It will do all sorts of things to make the pictures the way you want them, even resize to 400 pixels and reduce to 20K (!).

This is available for download at http://www.picasa.com/

Some things aren't as intuitive as they should be, so if you try it and have a problem give me a shout.

-Doug

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Jeff

Doug, this is an awesome program. I really gave it a workout with all the photos I have from the forum and all the websites I work on. Simply amazing. It dound photoes I thought were gone for ever  It reads file dates and catalogs photos in a time line, (the timeline feature is pretty cool)

Buzz-sawyer

Doug
Thak you for the link worked wonders.............but it couldnt find and extract pics inserted into Microsoft Word documents.probably because the re designate them as some kind of word object...when extracted they are called fragements, is there a plug in or fix for this, so it can SEE these.
I collect tons of pics of forestry stuff and put them in microsoft Word ( office ) to manage and modify them.
THanks Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

Quote from: Buzz-sawyer on February 16, 2005, 12:05:00 PM
Doug
Thak you for the link worked wonders.............but it couldnt find and extract pics inserted into Microsoft Word documents.probably because the re designate them as some kind of word object...when extracted they are called fragements, is there a plug in or fix for this, so it can SEE these.
I collect tons of pics of forestry stuff and put them in microsoft Word ( office ) to manage and modify them.
THanks Don

I don't know of any fix for that. I have clients that send me photos that way and it is a pain in the butt. I tell them never to save photos in word.  The way I retrieve them is do a print screen and then edit the photo and save it again. Problem is you have lost the original photo data and now only have a cheap weak facsimile

Buzz-sawyer

I guess if ambitious, I could bulk copy em out through another program  and save em as jpegs ::)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

DouginUtah

I'm working on a solution to getting pictures out of Word. Don't know if I will be successful or how long it might take. Stay tuned....

-Doug
-Doug

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Engineer

Thanx Doug & all for the program download link.  I am about to try it and see how it works.

Jon

Ianab

A way to extract photos from Word documents...

There may be an easier way, but this does work.

Open up the document in Word, and then save it as "Rich Text Format"   ( .rtf )
Open up Wordpad, then use that to open the .rtf file you just saved.
You will now see the picture and any text something like they were in the Word document.
BUT.. here is the clever bit... you can now copy and paste the picture into "Paint" or any better graphics program, and you get the full size image  :)

Then you can save that out as a .tif or .bmp or .jpg and have a decent full size image file.

As I said there may be an easier way, or a utility to do it... but that should work on any PC thats got Word installed.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Open the word document.

Click on the image and you'll see the resize gadgets

On the keybord strike the Ctrl-C combination

Open your favorite graphics program, I use Photoshop, and Create a New document

Hit the Ctrl-V keyboard combo and the image appears. :)

Well whadda ya know? :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

That does work SD, but it seems to only do a screen capture, the image goes across to paint the same size as it is on the screen, regardless of how big the actual image is. For some things that doesn't matter, but if you want to retouch and print the image, the more complicated way gets the full image as it was inserted into the document  :)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Ian, It seems to be all there in Photoshop. I can resize it or do what I want. I tried it with images I scanned directly into Word, such as maps and it looks fine. Dunno what else to say. It not a screen capture, it copies the full image to the clipboard. I'll try some forum formated images I've uploaded and bring them into word and then into PS. I'll get back to ya.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

From what Ian has described is my experience also. You can take a 2 meg photo and drop it in word, but the best you can get back is the resolution of the screenshot recovery. It make be good enough for a web app but thats about it.

SwampDonkey

Ian,

Ok, here's how to do it.

Click on the image in Word

Then goto Edit/Edit Picture in the menu

Then click on the image

Hit the Key combo Ctrl-C to copy to the clipboard

Then go into PS and Create New

Then hit the key combo Ctrl-V

It should work with full image integrety now, does here.

cheers

DouginUtah

SD is correct about Photoshop, but not everyone has Photoshop.

Bear with me while I set this situation up.

ONE WAY TO GET A PICTURE OUT OF WORD

You have one picture which you have imported into Word. It looks good. Now you want to make it into a JPG so you can get a print but you don't have the original picture anymore. The file name is House.doc.

Open the file in Word (2000).
Click on the word File in the top left of Word. You will see 'Save as Web Page...'
Click it and then go to Windows Explorer.
Find the Folder named House_Files and open it.
You should see image 001.jpg and image002.jpg--one small and one large--the original photo size.
Double-Click on the large one and see it open in your web browser.
Right-click and select Properties.

Put it into Picasa and right-click on the thumbnail. Select Properties and you will see the camera Exif data--date shot, etc.

Put the picture image001.jpg on a disc and take it to the photo shop (Sam's Club) and get a print made (16¢).

Hope I got this right.

-Doug

-Doug

---

SwampDonkey

I just tried it in MS Paint and it also works, only it pastes it inside a bounded box in the new document.  The size seemed to skrink proportionately, so I don't think MS Paint is a image processing program.

Also, works in Macromedia Fireworks MX as it did in PhotoShop 7.0, you just have to make sure you are in 'image edit' mode when you copy the image.

Ianab

I tried it on Word97 and Corel Photopaint 8. The copy and paste method will copy the picture, but it's reduced to the scale it's displayed at in Word. So my 1600 pixel image came out as about 480 pix in photopaint. If you started with a small picture that Word doesn't scale down, then it's probably OK. Or if you want to scale it down to post here, then it doesn't matter.

I tried the same on Lils PC with Word2003 and XP paint, same result.

The more complicated method works on both systems and keeps the 1600 pix image intact.

I tried Dougs method on Word 97 and it converted it to a 256 colour gif file,  ::) of the full size. But the later versions of Word probably handle it better

Cheers

Ian

SwampDonkey

Ian, did you copy the image in Image Edit Mode? If you don't it changes the image to 8 bit.

I find PS and Fireworks MX don't change it if copied in Word's 'Image Edit' mode.  MS Paint changes it though,  by scaling it down. I think if you resize it in Word, it'll have the same effect as scaling it in PS or Macromedia and saving it out in the new scale.  There isn't much difference between Word 2000 and 2003.

My final word is, use what ever works. :D ;)

Thank You Sponsors!