iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2024 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2023, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Nebraska is now my new hero!  ffcool
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

This is a picture of my recently laid kiln dried pressure treated 2X6 deck.  I laid it tight with absolutely no gap.  
IMG_5540.JPG
Since March 21st, the boards now have 1/8" to 1/4" spacing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

I do it for spacing to the edge.  if I have 10 inchwide boards, and 42-inch pallets, even spacing across the stack.  Howard, Nebraska the state or the man?   ffsmiley
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Our main man Nebraska, of course!

Lynn,

They design that lumber that way so it doesn't hold water, freeze in the winter and cause slip hazards. :sunny:
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Freeze??  :shocked2:   This Mississippi made lumber ain't gonna freeze here.   ffcheesy

I was very pleased with the lumber and am now very pleased with the spacing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimW

6x8 Beams 16, 12, and 6
 Lumber 6x8 Beams.jpg
Foot.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

20 foot full size 2
 Lumber 20 Foot 2x10s 2x8s 18 Foot 2x6s Full Size.jpg
x10s, 2x8s, and 18 foot 2x6s.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

............and 12 foot 2x6s from size boards for sawmill shed girts.
 Lumber Side 12 Foot 2x6s.jpg

Southside

Tim you must have some nice timber there, anything around here over 16' and it will have sweep or some sort of massive defect, even 18' can be a challenge, but 20' on a regular basis - no way.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TimW

Thanks.
The 18 foot 2x6s I cut today was ornery.  I cut for bow as the log had horns at each end.  What I didn't see, was some hard pine knots inside.  The ends tried to crook.  I made 2 huge mental errors that negated getting any full size 2x10s for me.

Glad that log is gone.  The 20 footers were well behaved and a pleasure (as 20 footers go) to cut.  Got 4 more logs just like them on the log deck.  The 20 footers were out of over 30 inch logs.

WV Sawmiller

Testing photo gallery

No joy. I was able to add a new album which did not work last time. I added a photo to the album but can't see how to get it from the album to this thread. Can't find album under Drag and drop. Go straight to Gallery, click on the picture and double click and try control C for copy but that is not the ticket. smiley_thumbsdown
Howard Green

Nebraska

My stacks are just lucky they happened, I so much need to build with the wood I have sawn because I am running out of space to stack it.
Hero not so much, I more resemble a  master BORP producer, (designer firewood name from Crossroads)  ffsmiley
I had dreams of sawing a little chunk of Red Cedar this evening but am sleep deprived from the results of calving season the night before on call.  I have definitely proven to myself that not stickering a stack of wet lumber promptly will lead to funky colored mold firmly holding the boards together requiring a pry bar to pull apart.

beenthere

WV
Just click on your pic in the gallery and scroll down under to highlight the next to the bottom url, click it and it should highlight. Copy that and paste it in your post. Looks like this for me.

Result:
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan R

Cut some 2 nd growth Wester Red Cedar tonight after dinner. Got 4 2x12 s 2 2x10s
2 2x8s and some side lumber. Will be used for my Daughters rebuild of her sun deck.

WV Sawmiller

BT,

Thanks. I'll try that when I get to the hotel in Ga tonight if I get the chance.
Howard Green

TimW

I need Y'alls input on this Texas sized ERC, please.  I was going to set this cedar butt on the sawmill and cut 3 inch cookies for small tables and such.  I already have 2 potential buyers.  The big end is 39.5 inches by 34 inches.  It seems like it will fit on my LT40HD Wide, but any miscalculation and the need to be bibbied.
Should I set it on the mill, and bibby anything past the blade guides.  I really don't wanna bibby anymore as I think that would lower the sale price.  I already trimmed back two huge forks.  Comments?
Do Y'all think 3 inch cookies of this will sale or a waste of time and to just chainsaw it into a cant and mill it that way.  It is only 45 inches long
The 2 inch wide duct tape in the photo below is 39.5 inches and will parallel the sawmill frame.

TimW

Here is the 18 foot log as I found it.

Magicman

Since we are just barnstorming and looking for off of the wall ideas that might work, plus this is probably a one time project, what about removing one or both of your blade guide rollers to make room for the blade to pass.  You could try it on something junky to see what happens.  I guess that the worse thing that could happen is throwing a blade off and ruining it.

This being ERC and proceeding slowly, I would be interested in seeing what would happen, especially since it's you taking the chance and not me.  ffcheesy

TimW

The rollers give me more room than the roller mounts.  Each mount has about a 1/2" rounded hump pointing inboard.....and I think that is one big chunk of metal.  Not sure how much needs to removed to get the roller mount off of the mill  The guide arm cover/shroud could get mangled if I tried that.  But THANKS.  I will look at this again tomorrow on the mill.

Maybe I can cut those humps off.

Magicman

I do follow what you are saying and the movable arm would have the greatest possibility to gain some width.

This could be exciting !!  ffcool

TimW

Careful Lynn.  I can easily load that ERC chunk in my pickup and drive to Mississippi. :uhoh:
Oh wait............you don't have a W-I-D-E. smiley_smug01

If all goes to plan, I cut 14 three inch cookies and sell them as small table tops $50 to $100 each.  But I am counting my chickens before they hatch.
So, Yes it has the potential to be exciting. ffcool

I will carefully move it tomorrow with slings on the forks.  I would use the grapple, but don't want to pierce past the bark.

Magicman

You know very well that doubting my humor is very serious indeed !!!  :wacky:

TimW

Southside

Could you cut the cookies with a chain saw?  Just plan them to be a tad thicker for the lack of accuracy? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TimW

I could do that, but still no way to make it look good enough to sell as table tops.  I could do that to the smaller end and put it on the mill, but the clamp only opens approx. 29.5 inches and would just have the weight holding it will sawing.

I'm just gonna sling it securely and gingerly set it on the mill and go from there.  As MM said.........it will be exciting.

Thank You Sponsors!