iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAB and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Magicman

Absolutely, the customer's cut list is always the boss.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

I appreciate the referral and It's always fun to have challenge!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

OlJarhead

Got some milling done this weekend 🙌 

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

That little 12v solar battery maintainer did it's job!  Battery voltage was 12.63v when we got back to the cabin after a month away and temps in the mid 20's at night.  Mill fired right up and was happy as a clam though it did take a while to get everything warmed up for milling.

Milled up 2 decent Doug Firs into 2x6's and a couple into D-Logs so was super happy about leaving the mill there.  Also got a lot of work done around the place (got the generator up on a pallet - it will go on a concrete pad this spring - and changed the oil and filters, burned slash etc) and am looking forward to getting back next month for more!

At the rate I'm going, I'll need to fall some timber this winter!  Woot!

jb616

Which Solar battery maintainer did you get?  I have a definite need for one...or two. Thanks in advance.

OlJarhead

https://amzn.to/4anhJK5
That's the one :)  I bought it back in 2020 and it sat for 3 years!  I finally put it to use and this trip has me glad I did.

Originally I bought it for my tractor and I think I'm going to get another one now for the tractor!

OlJarhead

So, my LiFePo4 batteries are in danger!

They can discharge down to -4F but should not stay there long or get colder.  In fact, storage temp is 23F and they charge at or above 32F.  I'm told the extreme cold (sub zero) temps we are going to get starting tonight can damage the cells of the batteries if they get that cold.  They are in my porch and the solar heater does help but it doesn't do much of anything when it's cloudy and snowing and while I knew I needed to move them I'd read some bad data (the site I bought them on had one set of these batteries showing a discharge temp at -22F as seen here:

But I've since learned that is incorrect (and in a way I'm glad they didn't fix it so I have a record of it ;)

In reality, my batteries are at risk and I have a heated room to put them in (which was the plan, I just wanted to finish it first) so my buddy Tim and I are headed back today to move the batteries and save them! (hopefully).

However, at 80lbs ea they will be a challenge to move though I have a tractor, forks and pallets so...wish us luck!

You can see them near the end of this video:
Outhouse Upgrade at our off grid cabin #offgridcabinbuild - YouTube

Wish me luck!

Nebraska

Is there enough soil to dig a pit cellar type hole to use ground heat to keep them from freezing?  Even a 12 in culvert 6 ft in the ground would keep enough heat coming into a well insulated box to keep it warm enough. I have a couple livestock waterers that work on that principle just a thought you're probably too rocky up there to make it work.  Just as thought.

OlJarhead

No need 😉  I have a super insulated room that is sunk  2 feet below grade that I keep at 50F year round.  I just want ready to move them into it but made it happen!

Nebraska

Ahead of me. Sounds like you are on it.  ;)

OlJarhead

Heading back up today to the cabin and hoping to finally run the sawmill again though I only have 3 small logs (ones really not big enough) to deal with.  Don't think I'll fall anything but I'll maybe get a D-Log milled up and maybe some 2x4's.

Of course, that assumes the battery has held on (it's on the solar maintainer so it should but it's weak) since I haven't replaced it yet.

Here's hoping for a great weekend at the cabin (and hoping for no flooding beyond what was seen already!

OlJarhead

:snowball: One thing I've learned recently -- check the darn alternator belt.

OlJarhead

Howdy!  It's been a while since I posted here.  Partly because my mill is down waiting for me to install a new alternator which I hope to get done next trip in March.  I had it this last one but failed to check it out and only noticed it lacked the pully when I pulled it out of the box to install it on the mill....and the old one was at home 240 miles away :(

Anyhow, the trip before that I had a good weekend at the cabin and for fun I made this video :D  This one folks, is a little poking fun at my buddy Mike.  He also makes videos and usually says something like "what's a video without making a tree fall down and go boom"....so, enjoy ;)

OlJarhead

Well shoot!  I replaced my alternator (I had it tested and it was only kicking out 13.2v) with a new one, ran a couple logs through the mill and noticed the electric motors seemed slow and by Sunday my hydraulics were killing the sawmill.

Checked voltages and nothing coming from the alternator!  I will have to do more testing and the mill is 240 miles away so it will be a few weeks but needless to say I'm a little perplexed!

Peter Drouin

That seems odd. Good luck to ya.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OlJarhead

Agreed!

Usually an alternator is pretty simple; pull old one, replace old one (and belt in my case) and voila! it's charging.

In this case changing the alternator didn't change anything.

I didn't open up the console (I should have but after dropping a dlog off the wall and lifting it back up by hand my back was telling me I'd just wasted my steroid injection) but plan to do that next trip to the mill.

I'll call James at WM in Oregon and see what he says too and then prepare to work on the mill.  If I can't sort it out I'll drag the mill home so I have access to it during the week.

OlJarhead

SOLVED!

I can't say for certain what the fix was but I 'think' it was the exciter wire.  It was attached at both ends so that wasn't it but after I disconnected it, tested continuity and put it back on the battery was once again getting a charge and I was back to milling!   ffcool

Ben Cut-wright

Quote from: OlJarhead on April 15, 2024, 08:14:32 AMSOLVED!

I can't say for certain what the fix was but I 'think' it was the exciter wire.  It was attached at both ends so that wasn't it but after I disconnected it, tested continuity and put it back on the battery was once again getting a charge and I was back to milling!  ffcool

Not sure you should be certain it was the "wire".  You may mean to include the connections but you didn't say.  Both ends were connected but did you make certain the "both" connections were clean and tight?

13.2 volts can be correct charging during bench testing, depending on what load the machine is putting on the alternator. Did whoever tested the old alternator condemn it for low voltage or amperage?  It's always a good idea to have a new alternator tested at point of purchase, especially if long travel distances are part of the repair.  Often tests results on a used alternator (which is still charging) will be equal to the new one right out of the box....when tested on the same machine using the same procedures.

Peter Drouin

Be sure to check all the grounds too, they all have paint under them. ffsmiley
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OlJarhead

Thanks guys,

It's true -- one can argue it isn't solved because I have no idea what happened  :veryangry:

I suspect it could be as simple as some oxidation on the contacts and a little no-ox might be in order.  I tested the exciter wire for continuity and it was good, put it back on and all was well.

I also suspect the old alternator is ok too and plan to take it in to a shop that can test it and rebuild it as needed (for a spare).

This one is a bit of a mystery to me but I will eventually solve it if it isn't ;)  In telecom where I worked for 30 years intermittent problems were the hardest to solve but I usually figured out the issue :D 

Ben Cut-wright

"Continuity" doesn't mean a circuit/wire can carry a load.  *IT is only an indication of such.

"Checked voltages and nothing coming from the alternator!"

Your statement above, as it is written, would mean something in particular to me.  What do you mean by "nothing coming from the alternator"?

From the onset this wasn't described as "intermittent". The alternator wasn't charging, it was replaced and "didn't change anything".

Glad you got the battery charging and hoping the old alternator tests OK for you.

OlJarhead

Sorry for the confusion.

When I replaced the alternator the electrical motors were running slow and the hydraulics pump was killing the engine.  I put a multimeter on it and nadda -- reading at the battery were 11.9ish and same at the back of the alternator.

I left.

On return I pulled out the multimeter and had the same (no charging).
I pulled the exciter wire and test it for continuity (bear in mind, I'd heard horror stories of mice eating mill wires and have had the same problem on my tractor - had to replace a huge section of wiring harness on the tractor thanks to mice or rats).

I also have an EMP shield so I removed the fuse and killed it taking it out of the equation (just in case it decided 14.5-14.9vdc was too high)...

Put the exciter wire back on and all was fine.  Replaced the EMP Shield fuse and again, all was fine.

It seems removing the replacing the exciter wire kicked the alternator into gear and all is well in the world.

I milled up 5 logs without issue and everything was running great.

I am lead to believe there was some oxidation on the contacts where the exciter wire plugs in at the control panel end.  No other explanation and it's working fine now.

Ed_K

First I like your u-tube site, been watching for awhile. I pulled the tarp of my mill 2 weeks ago and put the charged battery in tried to start it, no go, found a mouse nest of the size I've never found in a motor before. I even shoved a mouse into the starter compartment. They had a field day with the wiring, took me a half day replacing wires.
Ed K

OlJarhead

Thanks!  and OUCH!

That scares me frankly as they cost me $900 several years ago when they ate the wiring harness in my tractor -- which the PTO doesn't work on now so I have to wonder if they gnawed on the wires again.

Little buggers!

Thank You Sponsors!