iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saddle notch with hewn logs?

Started by Lyndaker, September 23, 2020, 11:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyndaker

I have built multiple buildings with round logs and compression fit saddle notches. My next home I want to use hewn logs, flattened on the inside and out. Round logs look nice but are unhandy on the inside for pictures, dressers or anything that goes against the wall. 
While I could use dovetails or half dovetails for the notches, I know how to make compression style saddle notches efficiently. I'm wondering if it would work to use saddle notches for hewn logs in place of dovetails? What issues might I run into? Has anyone done this? Do you have any pictures of the finished notch? Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. 
Thanks

D L Bahler

Nobody's answered this I see.

Basically, the various joints used with squared timber construction exist to deal with the problems introduced by cutting the timber square. A round log is (relatively) stable, whereas a squared timber will have the tendency to twist and  deform quite a bit more. The different sorts of interlocking joints used with squared timber construction are used to help alleviate some of these problems. Some work by locking the joints in such a way as to prevent some kinds of deformation. Others work by being designed to still be stable if the wood moves within certain tolerances, etc. 

All that is to say, you could use compression saddle notches if you want, just realize that they might not look so pretty in a few years. Maybe even could be a structural liability. 

If simple is what you want, I'd suggest Alpine style interlocking corners -with passed lap joints. They're pretty simple and fast to cut, and also create a tighter and more "leak proof" joint than dovetail-style corners. They might not look as pretty to some, and certainly the artistry of the joint is concealed from view, but it's extraordinarily functional and efficient. 

As always, I heartily recommend massive roof overhangs with any wooden structure. nothing less than 24"

Lyndaker

Do you have any pictures or diagrams of the joint? I looked online but couldn't find any.
Thanks

TW

There are many ways of making self tightening saddle notches with hewn logs. There are buildings in this style that are over 500 years old and still sound and in use. We shifted out quita a few logs in such a building some 5 years ago. The building was built in 1694.
No problem at all....... except that you end up with a more complicated notch than the standard American style and that it works best with scribed construction.

Unfortunately my photos are on another computer which is inacessible because of corona safety measures which we have set up to protect mom.

kantuckid

Your answer is well covered by Don below this new thread where he & others discuss Appalachian saddle notches (the name of that thread I see below on my screen), also called "V" notches. In watching the TV show Barnwood builders, That notch comes up in the old cabins they've pulled down in several episodes and as I recall it survives better than the flat, half-lapped corners which catch rain and snow more. 
The overhang is a huge provided for log corners & walls, combined with local weather factors. 
I'd suggest looking at as many hewn style kit company websites as you can find for pics of corners. 
A member on this forum has the dovetail jig plans available.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!