iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New grade stamp

Started by Don P, August 21, 2002, 09:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Ran across this the other day while framing. Are we buying from the Chzecks...or selling? Have gotten japanese stamps in the past but always on lumber that failed the inline moisture meter, this was the first time I'd seen this one.

Ron Wenrich

Thanks to the tariff on Canadian imports, it has opened the door to European exporters.  Not necessarily what Bush had in mind when he levied the tariff, but was the most likely outcome.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodman

I dont buy lumber i make it and have my stamp from the state of mass.
Jim Cripanuk

Ron Wenrich

You actuallly stamp your lumber?  Most mills need a certified inspector to put on any type of stamp.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodman

Not in Mass. as long as you pass the test you can do it. there are less than 100 of us in the state.
Jim Cripanuk

Frank_Pender

Out here in Oregon, you have to be certified and then checked by special certifiers.   This whole process is under the watchful eye of the industry itself.  It is that way in the grading of the logs at the mills.   I call this the "fox guarding the hen-house".  ???  Here too, we have a law that says all public buildings have to be built with kiln dried lumber.   Now, If you followed the money back to the legislation that created this law I would bet that you would see that the major industry lobyest pushed for that law.  ::)   The consequence then in my eyes is heavly increased costs to tax payers and a fat value added for the industry.  :'( :'(   But, I am probably just spitting into the wind or up a rope.  My wife says, "Don't be such a cynic." :-/
Frank Pender

L. Wakefield

I have to tell you; when I was in the Czech Republic a few years ago I was extremely impressed by the forestry management  in view. They looked like very productive woodlands. I believe I heard that the forest is owned by the state; but people may come in and freely harvest non-timber products such as berries etc. Don't count this as gospel, but I think it's what I heard.

I say good for them and I hope that they're not too deep under water right now- but I am surprised if their wood is making it all the way here. Just does not seem cost-productive to add shipping to the cost of production.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!