iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

USFS Research

Started by Ron Scott, November 19, 2016, 02:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

FPL research helps fuel coast-to-coast flight

Alaska Airlines made history this week by flying the first commercial flight using the world's first renewable, alternative jet fuel. The fuel was made from forest residuals, the limbs and branches that remain after the harvesting of managed forests. Technology developed by the Forest Products Laboratory called SPORL, Sulfite Pretreatment to Overcome Recalcitrance of Lignocellulose, played a key role in converting softwoods to aviation fuel. By making use of existing equipment, processes and knowledge of the pulp and paper industry, SPORL presents fewer technical barriers to production of biofuels. The process also reduces energy requirements and addresses feedstock variability of bark, needles and branches.

The Chief's Notes
~Ron

WLC

That's pretty cool.  I do wonder how much the cost per gallon is compared to typical jet fuel and what the production cost per gallon is for each one.  Great way to utilize an otherwise unused residual from logging.

I worked at the USFS Forestry Sciences Lab in Athens Ga years ago.  Really enjoyed my job there.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

sawguy21

That is fascinating. I too wonder if they can make it cost effective.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Even if it isn't, maybe it's another step along the way. Research and development continues onward.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!