iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw mill for cutting square timber

Started by Alexis, November 16, 2014, 07:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis

Hello, I'm looking for a chainsaw mill. I plan to use it to cut softwood that has no firewood value into timber (8x8 mostly). I don't plan to cut plank or anything else than timber. I don't have very large tree, mostly 16 to 20" diameter. I'm looking at the mkIII, the mini mill or the panther mill.

It seems to me that the vertical mill (mini mill) would be better for my application since I can easily cut square edge timber. With the mkIII, I would need to make sure that my guide rails are square to my first cut and it would take time and accuracy.

Am I missing anything?

thanks

GAB

Quote from: Alexis on November 16, 2014, 07:07:19 PM
Hello, I'm looking for a chainsaw mill. I plan to use it to cut softwood that has no firewood value into timber (8x8 mostly). I don't plan to cut plank or anything else than timber. I don't have very large tree, mostly 16 to 20" diameter. I'm looking at the mkIII, the mini mill or the panther mill.

It seems to me that the vertical mill (mini mill) would be better for my application since I can easily cut square edge timber. With the mkIII, I would need to make sure that my guide rails are square to my first cut and it would take time and accuracy.

Am I missing anything?

thanks

Alexis:
It is your operation, and you can do as you please it is your right.
You said 16" to 20" diameter, and I am assuming that that is the DBH.  Therefor if you assume a 16" diameter at 10', that per the Int'l 1/4 scale equates to 110 bdft.  If you take an 8" x 8" out of that log and scrap the rest you are throwing away more than half of the log.  If you were to use a band mill you should be able to get a 15% overage which would equate to close to 60% going to the scrap, or slab pile. 
And that is my 2 cents on your thoughts.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Alexis

thanks for the answer. Just to be clear, I don't plan on wasting wood. I'd cut the biggest square timber possible from the felled tree...

celliott

I'd go with the MKIII.
I just got one, have a 395xp powering it.
Yes, the initial setup takes a long time, but so does milling with a chainsaw. The setup is critical to accurate cuts. Set it up proper and you can get accurate timbers from the alaskan mill.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Thank You Sponsors!