iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hogs

Started by vtbuckslayer, April 29, 2009, 07:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtbuckslayer

Im gonna be working on a pig farm for probably most of the summer. Not rushing right into the forestry business with the current status of the economy.  My question is the pigs need shade and they are right in the middle of a field exsposed to full sun.  Talked the boss into doing a small project and planting some trees in a group in the middle of the field.  But the the pigs do alot of rutting in the dirts.  My question is what trees are going to be able to survive here?  the soils extremely rich and is old Ag. fields.  Im afraid to much rutting from the pigs(200-400 pounders) in around the trees are going to kill them?  Fence them for a couple years?  Any ideas on what species can best handle a beating from the pigs?
Blake
ms 390 20", ms 441 24"
00 big bear 4x4(lots of extras)
98 polaris indy triple
98 gmc k 1500 4x4

Mr Mom

Read one time in a book that a guy fenced in some pigs to clear the under brush in a small spot of the woods he had and they killed the trees.
   He said that they ate all the brush and grass then they ate the roots of the brush and grass then they ate the trees roots. All the trees died.
He had food all the time there four them.
I dont know how long they were in that spot but i think i would fence around any trees.
Might put the fence around the drip edge of the tree.
Someone with better know-how will help you better than i can just trying to help.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

stonebroke

Fence them. Pigs will kill them if left unprotected.

Stonebroke

beenthere

I'd forget the trees, and put up a shelter using something like snow fence for the cover.
Hogs like to "root" and "rub" and "scratch" everything in sight and everything on their body.

The trees will be a long-time coming for shade probably needed now (soon).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

The trees wouldn't last the impact of the hogs very long. Best to build or use portable sun shelters for the hogs if shade is needed.

http://www.bae.uky.edu/EXT/Plans/Swine/5947.pdf
~Ron

vtbuckslayer

they already have shelters. i was just thinking something to break up the barren field of dirt and rocks.
blake
ms 390 20", ms 441 24"
98 polaris indy triple
98 gmc k 1500 4x4

Ron Scott

You could landscape the field with trees native to the local area. Red pine should do well as some of the native hardwoods for fall color diversity. As stated above, the areas being reserved for trees will need to be fenced with barrier fencing for protection from the hogs.
~Ron

WDH

Trees and fenced hogs don't mix.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

iffy

If it ain't made of stainless steel or concrete it will disappear in a hog lot. The voice of experience.

vtbuckslayer

i got the fact that they are little devils. are field truck gets any loose ends chewed off including brake lines, and anything else that dangles. i was just hoping that maybe there was something out there that could handle them critters.  o well leave them to their huts.
blake
ms 390 20", ms 441 24"
98 polaris indy triple
98 gmc k 1500 4x4

chainspinrunner

Watch out for the swine flu!!!
Grose

olyman

do what they do in iowa. get z hose(water) and a garden sprinkler. mount on sufficent steel post (hogproof), and set the water to a low flow. its better if you can get it set to mist. will keep the hogs cool, and wouldnt create mud--

Thank You Sponsors!