Lamb Shanks

Started by Ianab, February 16, 2024, 01:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

It's what's for dinner.  :thumbsup:

20240216_112932.jpg

20240216_185848.jpg

20240216_190400.jpg

In days gone by lamb shanks were "leftovers" from butchering, but with slow cookers becoming a thing they are more popular. We got a whole "lamb" as a Christmas bonus, and it was about an 18 month old one, still technically a "lamb", but sheep sized. Plenty of meat on those shanks. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Log-it-up

Lamb is definitely one of my top red meats all cuts of it, we started buying lamb that was older a little more meat on the bone taste just as good 

Magicman

I have never eaten lamb, hogget, nor mutton.  Guess that I need to get out more.  food3
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Magicman on February 17, 2024, 08:48:05 PMI have never eaten lamb, hogget, nor mutton.  Guess that I need to get out more.  food3
If you are ever offered mutton, walk away.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Southside

I should have followed that advise when I was offered Borscht one time...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I had to search "Borscht".  The first thing mentioned was a Sour Soup and then looking at the ingredients was enough for me.  I'll trust your word.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Mutton is an "acquired taste" maybe? Lamb has a milder flavour. 

Lamb cooked up as Rogan Josh, with the more "Western" version using tomato as a base. But it's good with the garlic / ginger / chilli seasoning. 

100 years ago exporting lamb and mutton back to the UK was what basically kept NZ running. Now it's not such a big number, but we are still "outnumbered by sheep".  ffcheesy
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

rusticretreater

Lamb Shanks? Wasn't he the son of King Edward "Longshanks", the Hammer of the Scots?  (see the movie Braveheart)
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

K-Guy

Ianab

I love lamb, unfortunately in my experience the North American raised is not as tasty as the New Zealand lamb. Australian lamb is close to NZ but you guys have the best in my book. Usually I like to do a deboned leg roast with lots of garlic and other savory seasonings. Chops are good but too expensive for me here(yes I'm cheap). My son likes it but my wife won't touch it.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Otis1

I recently had some lamb mandi from an authentic yemeni or egyptian (not sure of the ethnicity) restaurant in Milwaukee, WI. Just a small hole in the wall type of place in a strip mall. My first time trying that sort of dish, I thought it was good. Definitely a strong flavor. 

WV Sawmiller

I never had lamb till I was over 30 y/o. It was not a dish we found in Florida. I ate it frequently in the mideast in Arabic and Indian dishes and what I got there was pretty good.

Ian,

Those shanks remind me of some dish made with pork shanks I had in South Africa. I think it was German style dish. It was very good.

I can't help but wonder how deer shanks would be cooked that way.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

I think that what's my great granddauther was chomping on.
It has a handle on it so she could hang onto it, but not get much of the meat off. She is only 6 months old.  :thumbsup:
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

Grew up on lots of lamb and mutton. Grandfather ran a farm with a couple hundred on it.  Don't get it much now days.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ianab

Found another couple of shanks in the back of the freezer. Not enough for 1 each, so I made a tomato / coconut curry. Slow cooker for ~ 8 hours, then pull the meat off the bones and add it back into the sauce. Probably could have done with a few more spices and an extra chilli, but it was very nice, just served on rice.  Slow cooker tends to mellow out the spices (and scent the kitchen with them all day), so you have to add a bit more for a slow cooker recipe. 

But it was good, set it up at 11am, had lunch and went out to the mill for the afternoon. Got home after 5, and the kitchen smelt great.  ffsmiley

Thank You Sponsors!