iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woops

Started by madmh, June 24, 2009, 01:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmh

I am new, and may be in the wrong topic by mistake.  However, I brew some mean coffee.  Try some 8 o'clock french roast beans, ground extra fine.  I make this at work, and it goes down well, as long as it is fresh.  I like my coffe black and strong, and this does the trick.

madmh

CHARLIE

I like my coffee with a lot of black in it and strong.  We basically buy Folger's French Roast and it passes as drinkable.  We can't get 8 O'Clock here.

Best coffee I ever had was when I was in 1959.  Tom and I had been duck hunting on a Florida ranch.  It was just after noon and we headed back to the hunting cabin and found that our Granddaddy had caught a bunch of bass, cleaned them and fried up a platter full. He left them sitting there for whoever showed up for lunch.  Tom decided to mae some coffee to go with the fish. Tom opened up a one pound blue can (they had keys back then) of Maxwell House.  He boiled up some water in a cooking pot and then dumped the whole can of coffee and let it boil for awhile. Then he grabbed a tea strainer and poured it through it into the cup.  That was the best coffee I've ever had.  Nothing has come close since. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

LeeB

Did he use river water Charlie? Best coffee I remembre was about like you describe made with river water over a camp fire in an old coffee pot like you see in the westerns. You had to drink it through your teeth or a long mustashe to strain out the grounds and any possible bugs.  :D I don't drink much coffee any more though.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

pappy19

I pride myself on how good my coffee tastes, but I have to admit that I have just gotten lazy and am using a Mr. Coffee auto-brew. I do grind my own beans and lately have purchased Arbuckle's Ariosa beans from Arizona.

That being said, many years ago I was in Maine and went to a clam bake and for desert they had fresh blueberry coffee cake and "cowboy" coffee. It was the best coffee I had tasted. I asked what brand of coffee they used and it was regular old Maxwell House, just boiled and cold water to settle the grounds. I have used MH in the past and it is great coffee when boiled but I can not get anything close to that in an auto-brew.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

DanG

Don't know that I ever had any real "cowboy coffee" but I think the old-fashioned percolators make a better cuppa joe than a dripper does.  Don't forget to put the lid on it, though! :-X :-[ :-[
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Weekend_Sawyer

Coffee is always better up at the cabin. I beleive it has alot to do with the creek water it is brewed from, and just being at the cabin makes a cup of coffee ever so much more enjoyable.

Any one ever read Henry Huggins as a kid, a traveling salesman was selling "Ever So Much More So" whatever you put it in was ever so much more so better, "Try it in your coffee"
Henry asked "But what if you don't like coffee? The salesman asked him to move away  :D

My brains are chocked full of usless stuff.

I am still very much a Tesoros Del Sol coffee fan, even if we don't hear from them anymore.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

LeeB

I have to agree with you DanG. On the rare occasion when I do brew up a cup or two, it is in an old perculator. I used to have one for the stove top but it grew legs, so now its an electric perculator. I don't care for the drip coffe too much.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ErikC

I drip coffee at home-out of laziness I guess, but it's cowboy style when I am out on a pack trip or with hunters. Many times they haven't had it that way before, and it is always a big hit. It does take a little bit of attention to get it right. What else is there to do that early but sleep anyway?
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Modat22

Love camp coffee. toss a cup or 3 coffee grounds in a big pot and boil with water. I usually toss some egg shells in the water. The egg shells make the coffee grounds sink to the bottom of the pan (not sure why but they do)
remember man that thy are dust.

Ron Scott

Learned to drink coffee black when made like that while in the field on Okinawa, 1955-56, with the Marine Corp. I've drank it black ever since.
~Ron

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Ron Scott on February 18, 2024, 08:40:11 PMLearned to drink coffee black when made like that while in the field on Okinawa, 1955-56, with the Marine Corp. I've drank it black ever since.
I learned to drink coffee with pet milk and a couple of tablespoons of sugar in the field in Germany from a 55-gallon trash can, a submersion diesel heater and a gunny sack full of Folgers that had been cooking most of the week.  In an aluminum canteen cup that burned your lips even if the coffee was just warm.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

rusticretreater

Years ago I purchased a coffee roaster for the wife.  So the wife gets her light roast and I get my darker than dark French Roast.  Green beans are obtained from Sweet Maria's in California who gets the beans fresh off the boat from wherever they come from.  Some of them have spanish names a mile long.  Apparently the farmers name it after all of their daughters.  While its drip coffee while prepping to go somewhere, its a stainless steel percolator on the weekends.

I stay away from African coffees though.  They always seem to taste like dirt to me.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Thank You Sponsors!