iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thank you and Farewell Hoopty!

Started by Jeff, January 20, 2019, 10:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Almost 6 years ago we acquired Hoopty, a 1965 Thunderbird. it was quite a story on how we came to get the car.
Jeff's great find. in General Board

Since then we have taken care of it, improved it and and thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to own it. This year we came to the point where our daily drivers were becoming pretty old and worn out. We take care of our vehicles, but inevitably age and the michigan climate dictates they reach an end of life. They ain't there yet, but close enough we are always concerned to venture very far from home, or outside of our safety net.  

Not being in the position where we can just go out and buy a quality new vehicle, and with Tammy so close to retirement we do not want to assume any debt, we decided to put our land and Hoopty up for sale in hopes to be able to buy a new truck. It was a very hard decision to make. Owning land in the U.P. was my lifelong dream. Having an old car for us, is good for our souls. (Tammy grew up in a large junkyard and knows as much about cars as I do. She made money growing up removing and tagging parts from salvage vehicles, as well as other junk yard duties ) We had old cars up until our first child was born, at that time, we had a 65 ford f150 and a 64 olds with a rocket engine. We had to sell those in order to take care of our new family. Our kids were grown before we were able to have an old car again, with one exception. A 66 corvair followed me home for $100 when Jeremy was 3. I fixed it up and one Saturday, my buddy Sonny and I painted it. After painting is a metallic maroon, we hooked onto the boat and went fishing. When we got back. Tammy and Sonny's wife met us at the door and Tammy is saying "DONT KILL HIM!"    :D   Turns out She let Jeremy go out out side the what was then just out our front door to play ball. Jeremy decided to go into the attached garage, find a way to stack milk crates to get on top of my workbench, then reach up and get a can of black spray paint, found a way to get the cap off, then proceed to help his dad paint the newly painted car and everything else in the garage. Mower, waders, bikes, everything.   In desperation Tammy tried to clean the car up with thinner.  I never got mad. I was just two impressed at what my 3 year old son had been able to achieve.

Okay. I got side tracked. :D

A few weeks ago we listed the land and I started listing Hoopty on facebook market place. I put to high a price on both of them, knowing that it needed to be too high or I would back out on anything but to good of an offer.

This week, I got a facebook message from a fellow down by Grand Rapids michigan wanting to know if Hoopty was still available.  I had had dozens of those contacts, so I figured it was just another dreamer or worse, a scammer.  Turns out Tim was neither. He was a collector. Same age as I am. He and his twin brother have many cars and several thunderbirds. He was wondering about some sort of swap as he had been informed by his girlfriend, that something had to go before something came in.  He told me what he had, and we continued the conversation. Eventually, we made a deal that I am very happy with. He got Hoopty and $3000 and we got his 1971 Mustang, (mach 1 tribute 351 ram air)  as well as one of his daily drivers. 1 2000 Silverado.  2000?  Aint that old? Yea, 19 years old. However...

I've always said, because our original 1999 Siiverado known as the Forestry Forum Truck was such a great truck, I'd much rather buy another new one of those then what ever the new trucks were at the time. I knoew that could not happen, because they are pretty much all rotted away now. The 2 wheel drive one I have now is really really bad.  Turns out though, there was one left!  This Silverado is Pristine. It was garage kept and driven only 7000 miles a year. meticulously maintained. (I have the little notebook the owner kept detailing every oil change!) The truck is simply in unbelievable condition. Inside, outside and mechanically. Its like getting a new truck.  The mustang, well, it aint a tbird but...   It has a built 351 and lots of bells and whistles. My getting it in at my current weight is like putting a marshmallow in a piggy bank!  However once in, I can sit comfortably. its not perfect, but it will give me plenty to tinker with.   So, we got a new to use truck, an old car that Tammy really likes, and we get to keep our land!

You know you are dealing with a car guy when he sends you home with replica's of your new cars! :D

He also sweetened the post with this, although I'm not sure what I will do with it!

We have the Truck home, and next weekend Tammy's brother who has a car hauler will come pick up Hoopty and take her to her new home and bring back the mustang.

This is the 4th red truck in a row I have had. None of them did I go looking for. They keep finding me!  I think I am going to name this one.  4red. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

thecfarm

There,now I know why the land was taken off the market!!!! 
That is good news!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lxskllr

Quotelike putting a marshmallow in a piggy bank!

RoFL!

Looks like you did pretty well, and I'm very happy you get to keep your land. "Stuff" is easier to replace than land  :^)

Jeff

I was scared to say anything prematurely Ray as I didn't want to jinx the deal. Woulda been just my luck.

So I have a 4wdrive again, but I don't plan on driving it much during the winter as long as the other truck hangs on. I gotta figure out a way to keep the body great like it is.

The truck is also an LS. so it has options like electric seats and deluxe mirror with compass and temperature. Driving it home was like Driving home an old friend. Its so much like the Forestry Forum truck that had that premature death at the hands of a local scammer.

hacknchop

Good things happen to good people I'm happy everything worked out the way it did.
Often wrong never indoubt

Jack S

Very nice Jeff, It sure is nice to see great things happen

LAZERDAN

Red is the color of confidence and power. Red is "Company Colors"  They to also find Me, I find it a dream to drive someones eles old "junk"  when i'm done with it's junk, you know  they love you when they start every day.  I'd say you got the large side of the wish bone. You Gotta find another FF bumper sticker for the New FF Truck       Lazerdan

Resonator

Nice looking rides! 
QuoteHe also sweetened the post with this, although I'm not sure what I will do with it!
Has the stoplight been rewired for household 120 volt? If so, it would be a great decoration for a gear head garage. (Or put it in the living room like Fred Rogers.) 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

barbender

Cool story, and it's great to come out with a deal like that. You weren't left wanting for anything after it looked like you were going to have to give up your classic and your land. I'm happy for you guys!
Too many irons in the fire

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Jeff on January 20, 2019, 10:59:03 AMHe also sweetened the post with this, although I'm not sure what I will do with it!

Don't you live on a busy street?  Put it at the end of your driveway to stop traffic so you can pull out! :D

Sure looks like you got a good deal and Hoopty got a good home.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Jeff I understand completely. My luck is the same way.
On the rust,I have a garage guy that came in and bought 5 gallons of boiled linseed oil for rust, He tried it and came back and bought 10 gallons. I guess he liked it. I have to special order it,because we only have it in gallons.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

1.5 hours from home and -2 now!

Bruno of NH

Jeff 
Does anyone do Krown under coating?
It works great.
I'm happy for you
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Kwill

Same truck as mine jeff except for mirrors and wheels. Mines a 2000 with 146k on it

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

moosehunter

I'd be mighty happy to have that pony. Congrats Jeff, glad you are keeping your property.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations. Sounds like a great deal all around. Glad you got to keep the land and have a happy truck to take you up there to hunt and tinker around.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Mustang is at its new home. About froze getting unloaded as we had to do a lot of blocking due to clearances issues. Coldest night of the year so far.  Glad to be back home.

samandothers

This is good to hear!  Glad you got to keep the land and have the neat vehicles!

ellmoe

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

terrifictimbersllc

Congratulations, hoping to hear more adventures from you at the UP land!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

BradMarks

Glad you are able to keep the land, they aren't making any of that anymore :)

millwright

Good truck I've got well over 200,000 on mine, and it still drives great

Hilltop366

Quote from: Bruno of NH on January 20, 2019, 06:25:11 PM
Jeff
Does anyone do Krown under coating?
It works great.
I'm happy for you
+1
Krown or Rust Check are two of the best that I know of. I have a 2004 rav4 that was undercoated with Rust Check every year since new and is pretty much rust free, keep in mind that I live in the place that is known as one of the worst for rust with salt air, salt on the roads in winter, high  temperature swings and humidity so if it works here it should work about anywhere.
They drill holes to access spaces that can't be sprayed from under like doors, door post and rocker panels. Its well worth the trouble if you want your vehicle to last.

Jeff

It appears Krown is only Canadian?

Thank You Sponsors!