iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood stove recommendation

Started by mrbrb, January 23, 2016, 02:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrb

Ive been browsing past threads but thought I'd see if there are any suggestions for my specific situation. Im looking for an indoor wood stove, something with a large fire box that I can throw 36" un-split round pieces of wood. Im willing to spend the $ if it is the right fit. Priorities are: safety, burn time, and large firebox size.

I was looking at the 'hearthstone equinox' but it looks a little too delicate. Im looking for something that can handle having large chunks of wood forcefully tossed into it.

This is a 1600 sf shop, well insulated, in northern CT.

Also, I have a ton of 1" soapstone tile that I am thinking could be bracketed to the exterior of the stove, depending on how simple the exterior is...

Here are some pics of the shop in progress:

brendonv

Good looking building. Where in ct?

I have a 20+ year old vermont castings vigilant heating a 1500ish sq ft cape with dormer, usually 75-80 on main floor and high 60s upstairs.

The old fisher, and all nighter stoves are super tough. I have one in garage.

I like old stoves, they arent picky with wood.

Ive never seen one thatd burn 36" but the all nighters tske big wood.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Raider Bill

I've made it my mission to tell everyone not to buy a England er wood stove. I did and wish I hadn't.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

John Mc

I would think a huge stove like that  - one that can handle 36" logs - in a well-insulated 1600sf shop is going to be too big for your heating needs. It's likely to drive you right out of the shop when running.  I'm heating a 2000+ sf well-insulated home in VT with a Heritage Phoenix stove.

Wood stoves like to burn hard. Wood combustion devices generally don't have the "turn down ratio that an oil or gas furnace has, so they wont burn cleanly, efficiently, and reliably if you try to choke them off to reduce the heat output. It's enough of an issue that a well designed high-end wood chip boiler systems with computerized combustion controls (think million+ BTU boilers) are often designed with two separate systems, one rated for about 1/3 the peak load, the other rated for 2/3 peak, so they can more closely match the boiler to the heat load.

My point is not that you need two stoves, just that oversizing your stove can end up causing you more problems than it is worth. Often, it's better and more efficient (and you are able to cover more of your heating needs) to slightly undersize a stove as compared to the peak heating load. This lets you use the stove in the "shoulder" heating seasons (well into the spring and fall) without making it uncomfortably warm. On those really cold stretches, you can add a space heater, or since it's a workshop, just live with it being in the 50s rather than 70˚F. Often you'll end up using LESS gas/electricity/fuel oil running your supplemental heat to meet peak loads in the winter than you will if you buy an oversized stove to handle the peak, but have to shut if off in the spring and fall and run just your supplemental heat because the big stove won't turn down enough to make it comfortable during those cool/cold but not frigid days.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ETSawyer

Hi, also in CT here. I have an all-nighter mid moe and love it.  Burn time is good but you are running it "shut down" to get a long time out of it. They will burn whatever fits through the door. Big unsplit round wood is where you get the best burn time with them. Large fire box 22 inch length I think it will take.  Lots of steel in these older stoves. Not sure the sizes of a big moe, it may take 24 in wood but they are like hens teeth to find especially in decent shape. 36in wood might me hard to find a stove but good luck and hope this helps.

Also whatever you end up using if insurance is an issue/concern make sure it is UL listed. Deciding factor for going with the all nighter for me

thechknhwk

Is the shop 1600 sq ft ground floor or 1600 total?  I looked at the caddy and max caddy stoves, but they are out of my price range.  I just ordered a more economical model from the same parent company from Menard's called a Drolet Heatmax.  They also have a smaller one called a tundra.  The heatmax and the max caddy take up to 25" wood and the heatmax I think will burn 14hrs and the max caddy 16 or so.  They require dry wood though since there is secondary combustion.

thechknhwk

hman

Look at Vermont Elm stoves.The guy that builds them has made some stoves that take 38" long wood.

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow, what a place.

I really like those barn doors. I hope to build a similar set soon.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

sawdusty1

I have a Mama Bear fisher wood stove for the house and a Baby Bear fisher stove for the shop.  It's made out of 3/4 boiler steel on sides and bottom with fire brick on sides and bottom.  It will run you out of the house or the shop. 
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

DonnerParty

I don't have any input on a stove that big, but will say that we have had a Hearthstone stove for 10 years now and it has been absolutely excellent in every way. It's the main heat source for our house and we are not gentle with it. Best stove I've used since the Jotul we had when I was a kid.

Loesshillslogging

That's a nice shed, looks like your having some fun!

I am like similar posters, I like old stoves, steel is so much better from back in the day. They have character and can really heat up a room.

PS: been selling the heck out of my woodpile since my first post! Snow and cold wind have them coming out of the woodwork, pulled my Craigslist ad offline, I hate when I can see the pallets and the cement floor!

mrbrb

Thanks for all of the replies and recommendations..   I checked out the VT elm stove. Looks great, a real masterpiece, ill keep an eye out for one. I also like the look of the Drolet heatmax.. looks very high tech.

woodworker9

I heat my 1620 square foot shop (with 12' high ceiling) with a Fisher grandma bear stove.  I burn mostly oak, and I can get the shop up to 70° on most days unless it's below zero.  I try to keep it right around 65°, give or take.

I think if you find a stove that takes 36" rounds, you're gonna burn yourself right out of there.

I'm also a HUGE fan of the big BlazeKing catalytic stoves.  I had one, but it was too much heat for my shop, so I sold it.  I'm getting ready to build a bigger shop, about 2400 square feet, and when it's done, a Blazeking is going in.  You can load it at night, and it's still going in the morning with a full load.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

TheSaint68

Dicks machine shop builds one if you think you need something that large for a 1600 set space that is well insulated. We have a Lopi Liberty that works well for our climate here in Southwest CT.

Here is the link:

http://www.jimbonham.com/Stove/stove.html

• You can burn anything in these stoves and the warranty stands... Unlike some outdoor stoves that void the warranty if you burn anything but wood.

• Outside dimensions are 40"L x 25"W x 42"H not counting blower.

• Large 13" x 13" door and 36" L x 20"W x 24"H firebox.

Oldman47

Have a look at the Blaze King product line. They are not going to take that huge wood but are reputed to burn clean for long burns.
Another option for long clean burns is the Ideal Steel stove.
X27, Stihl 026, Husky 555 AT

jargo432

I took a bicycle trip (I do bicycle touring) through N W Texas and had breakfast in an old diner.  They had this huge pot belly wood stove in the middle of the room that was perfect.  I wish I had taken a picture of it.  I've always like the idea of having a more vertical stove so you can put the  wood in horizontally.  I think it would work well in a room with high ceilings.
Jack of all trades.

Thank You Sponsors!