iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WoodMizer LT28 Reserection

Started by Marshall7199, July 17, 2019, 12:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall7199

I am new to milling and helping a friend get a older LT28 up and running that has been sitting in a field for many years.  Believe it is pre 2008 vintage.  It is a simple machine with 25Hp Kohler Pro engine, auto-feed with no hydraulics.  Got her running (smoothly I might add) and would cut a pine log but with a few waves.  We were tickled that it would cut anything after sitting for so long.  Being a stickler for maintenance details and want to make sure the energy produced by the 25Hp motor stays were it should (saw blade, bearings, shoes, etc.) I want to ask if anyone has a source for maintenance check list, recommendations on periodic maintenance, items to review after sitting for years, etc.  Looking at the WoodMizer website, I was not impressed with the lack of published machine details.  I could not find the operations manual / parts list for the machine....but i may have missed it as well.  (In my industry, I can get every detail on the pumps we mfg. down to nuts and bolts.)  I know I need a crank handle for the winch, the shoes on the saw wheels are loose, and I am sure there are bearing that probably need to be replaced and other fine adjustments to get her cutting true.  

Your words of wisom are welcome.

Rookie learning from the masters.

barbender

Call WM and get an owners manual for it.
Too many irons in the fire

K-Guy

I've never heard of Wood-Mizer not trying to help. Call them.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

GAB

Quote from: Marshall7199 on July 17, 2019, 12:28:06 PM
the shoes on the saw wheels are loose
If by the above statement you mean the belts on the band wheels I believe they are supposed to be loose.
They are on my LT40.
As an FYI: My experience with an LT28 is el-zippo.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

caveman

The lt28 is a good mill.  The belts, B57's, are supposed to fit loose.  When you call WM to get a manual you should probably have the serial number handy.  That will enable them to help you better.  
Caveman

barbender

To add to Caveman's comments, I don't think they will help you at all if you DON'T provide the serial number. They want to make sure it's not stolen, and once you provide the # and get registered as the new owner, they will get you up and running in their system.
Too many irons in the fire

Resonator

I own a newer LT 28, and yes the belts on the wheels are supposed to be loose. I would recommend meeting your nearest Wood-Mizer dealer, they could most likely find info on your model machine, and what parts are interchangeable / available. Some of the factory parts are sold as an assembly, not as individual pieces. They also offer a yearly service loop to have sawmills checked over.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Marshall7199

Barbender, K-Guy, Caveman, Bab and Resonator, thanks for the comments.  I will connect with WM and have the machines serial number.

When I referred to the shoes, I did mean the belts on the band wheel.
Rookie learning from the masters.

Thank You Sponsors!