iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stupid idea? Using attic heat?

Started by Old Greenhorn, September 09, 2020, 09:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 14, 2020, 07:44:11 PM
 Firewood took a lot more time than I thought.
Do tell ;D
Vapor drive, the direction moisture moves, is the same direction as heat flow, moisture is piggybacking on the heat flow. Right now heat, and vapor, is probably moving from the attic, to the house. As the season turns the moisture from the house will be following that heat into the attic. It'll be interesting to see if you get an uptic in humidity as you go into heating season.

mudfarmer

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 14, 2020, 07:44:11 PM
OH surely y'all can conjure up anything you like
Well if you do geothermal then you gotta put up a net metered solar electric setup to offset the usage. Then you might as well get a battery bank setup to cover you during outages. While you are at it you could build me a shop :-X

mike_belben

And dont forget the new truck, trailer, and mini ex youll need for the project too. Youre a new yorker with over half an acre afterall. 
Praise The Lord

Gary_C

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 12, 2020, 05:01:37 AM

Back in the original post I said I just wanted to grab the air air from the attic and move it into the working space of the shop to Add a little heat, not heat the entire shop 24/7. I don't think it is complicated to move heated air about 50" from the Attic into the working space. 
My attic is ventilated with eave vents and roof vents to keep the attic temps close to outdoor ambient temps. I know it gets somewhat warm in the attic on summer days and I also know it's very little above outdoor temps in the winter days. The problem is the need for warm air is not during the times you need a boost in air temps in your shop.
So I hope you do not spend too much money and effort while exploring your idea until you determine your attic temps at the time you desire additional heat. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Old Greenhorn

Yup collecting data now. Today at 2pm it was 62 in the shop, 65 outside, and 95 in the attic. That's a good start.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

aigheadish

I'm new around these parts and would love an update! I have what sounds like similar space, but I'm also digging the thoughts of a solar kiln heater...
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

1st post too! Well, first, welcome to the forum. 2nd, I have actually kind of dropped this idea because my data collection tells me that there are only a couple of short weeks where the numbers make sense and that just doesn't pay.  for instance, right now it is 67 in the shop (wood heat), 41 outside (mid day) and 32 in the attic (with 10" snow pack). I did put some mentions of how this was going over on the thread I post to almost daily: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=110766.msg1779809;topicseen#msg1779809 Wherein I dribble on about the crude and boring existence that is my life. :D You will have to do a bunch of reading to catch mentions of this failed project. ;D
 Welcome aboard, hope you stick around for a while, and do fill in your profile so folks get to know a bit about you.
Tom

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

aigheadish

Thanks for the update, the welcome, and the link to the other post, I'll check it out!

There is a lot happening on this forum so it'll take me a while to catch up! I was suggested to come here from some of the fine folks at heavyequipmentforums.com
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Al_Smith

There's a lot of passive options  in essence solar heat .Capturing the heat of the sun in one form or another .
I know a guy from probably 30-35  years ago when "earth sheltered " homes were the rage. Built a very large one of nearly 3000 square feet and used water filled plastic barrels, stacked ,painted black on the sides of a huge south facing wall which was basically windows .He had heating sources but those barrels helped in winter weather . 

Thank You Sponsors!