iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large blower value?

Started by tacks Y, January 31, 2021, 04:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacks Y

Bought a planer and this was used on it. Plan to send it down the road but not sure how to price. Has a 15" opening, used to blow chip and sawdust in trucks? Will list here once I find a price for it.

mike_belben

Industrial blower housings are not cheap at all and usually arent ever unbolted until theyre scrap so there isnt a cheap supply out there. 

There is also a boom is rising prices and stuff selling at outrageous asks.  If it spins and appears to be serviceable or atleast able to be rehabed with bearings, id start high and come down.  $1500 is where id laugh at it but lately stuff at my 'youve got to be kidding me' threshold has been selling.  And my jaw keeps dropping but a fool and his money i guess.

I dont think you should take less than $300 but i bet youll be able to get a grand.  The shaft looks pretty clean.  Ive had to change outnanlot of rooftop bearings on much much worse looking shafts.  If you paint it up itll be an easier sell.  Industrial light machine gray.  

Calling to have one installed from a hvac contractor will give you a heart attack.
Praise The Lord

tacks Y

Thanks Mike. The shaft and I think blower blades are stainless so they should look good. Guy had a 5hp with slow pulleys on it so it came off.

mike_belben

If its a stainless shaft then thats a top notch unit.  S&W prob had a hundred blowers on the roof and i never saw a SS.  A lot of grief to prep a rusted shaft for bearing change.  
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Ah hell thatsna removeable prop.. Even better.  The shaft is probably a replacement.  All i ever saw was welded shafts and props whicH SUCK!
Praise The Lord

Don P

Wow, that must have been a short pipe run, that blower needs a good bit more than 5 hp to get the right velocity and volume out of it. 

mike_belben

For ventilation only that size housing ballpark would have a 5 to 7 horse 3ph electric on it.  I never lugged a 10 up the ladder. 

Probably wants a 20horse gas to hit the front of a 53' the long way. 
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

To be honest I'd want it if you put it on FF for sale in 2 months.  Sawmillexchange has blowers for sale usually, check on there (or sell on there, she's easy to work with).  I don't think it would be a problem moving that quickly.  
Liking Walnut

Don P

Quote from: mike_belben on February 01, 2021, 03:01:08 PM
For ventilation only that size housing ballpark would have a 5 to 7 horse 3ph electric on it.  I never lugged a 10 up the ladder.

Probably wants a 20horse gas to hit the front of a 53' the long way.
I know you'll be fabbing one up sometime Mike :D. Those are backward inclined air handlers, a radial material handling blower is a different kind of power hog. I chopped and rewelded an air handler into a radial blower for my mill and needed to know some of the how to's;
Blower HP (forestryforum.com)

tacks Y

Quote from: nativewolf on February 01, 2021, 04:34:13 PM
To be honest I'd want it if you put it on FF for sale in 2 months.  Sawmillexchange has blowers for sale usually, check on there (or sell on there, she's easy to work with).  I don't think it would be a problem moving that quickly.  
I put it on there earlier today as I said I would. Put it there for 900 cash.
Quote from: Don P on February 01, 2021, 02:47:11 PM
Wow, that must have been a short pipe run, that blower needs a good bit more than 5 hp to get the right velocity and volume out of it.

The way it was belted my 2hp 6" blower moves more air.

nativewolf

Quote from: tacks Y on February 01, 2021, 08:23:00 PM
To be honest I'd want it if you put it on FF for sale in 2 months.  Sawmillexchange has blowers for sale usually, check on there (or sell on there, she's easy to work with).  I don't think it would be a problem moving that quickly.  

That is a very fair price.  It should go fast.  Maybe let the sawing section guys know, maybe you already did.  
Are you sure you don't need a blower for the planer?
Liking Walnut

tacks Y

Quote from: nativewolf on February 01, 2021, 09:47:53 PM
Quote from: tacks Y on February 01, 2021, 08:23:00 PM

That is a very fair price.  It should go fast.  Maybe let the sawing section guys know, maybe you already did.  
Are you sure you don't need a blower for the planer?

No I do not need. If I powered it up in my shop the walls would suck in.

Thank You Sponsors!