iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This is what I like about FF

Started by kelLOGg, June 17, 2020, 09:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

Diverse people and even more diverse equipment. For example Peter Drouin can lift 10,000 lbs 54 ft  8)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=111114.0
whereas here is me loading a 4 x 10 x 16 syp beam onto my customers trailer.

1) put rollers under the beam

2) Push onto the trailer. Last roller is height adjustable.

3) Pull it the rest of the way

It is about as lo-tech as you can get and I love doing it.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

dgdrls

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
Archimedes

kelLOGg I like your rig, smart, easy and effective. smiley_thumbsup

D

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

That's a great way to move them.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

moodnacreek

That's good but you gotta get a forklift.

Old Greenhorn

I love it. My favorite part is how your windlass arrangement just drops in the stake pockets. I gotta remember that!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

JJ

I had a trailer from the same manufacturer, but with chevy hubcaps.. ;D

maybe yours is better, let mine go when I sold the little tractor that I got it with it.

I like way you work smarter, with out spending $

JJ

JJ

It's brilliant!  for granny gear, just drop the wire onto the pipe hub -if it will hold.. but you should be able to tell by the bend factor when to stop.

Walnut Beast

Very nice thinking 🤔 and very effective 👍

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kelLOGg

Quote from: moodnacreek on June 17, 2020, 10:01:07 PM
That's good but you gotta get a forklift.
I've thought a lot about that and other labor saving devices. If I could move wood fast I would want to saw fast then I would need an hydraulic mill and gravel a large area to keep the fork lift from sinking, etc., etc. but I decided at the outset that I would stop at a manual mill and trailer. My sawing is really only a serious hobby condition.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

thecfarm

I know the hobby part. Some on here saw in a week what I saw in a year.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kelLOGg

Quote from: thecfarm on June 18, 2020, 06:04:49 AM
I know the hobby part. Some on here saw in a week what I saw in a year.  ;D
It is good to know I am in good company

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

I like the way you think: Anything to take the straining out of sawmilling. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Gere Flewelling

I saw your rollers in an earlier post, but didn't understand just how they were a benefit to the operation.  After seeing the recent pictures, I can see the value.  What a great idea.  I can see a set of those on my MP-32 in the future.  Thank you for sharing you invention.  That would make a great option for Cook's to offer.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

K-Guy

It's nice to see that Yellowhammer doesn't have the monopoly on good ideas.  :D

My dad always says "Work smarter not harder" and it seems you are living proof!
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Nebraska

Quote from: kelLOGg on June 18, 2020, 06:54:24 AM
Quote from: thecfarm on June 18, 2020, 06:04:49 AM
I know the hobby part. Some on here saw in a week what I saw in a year.  ;D
It is good to know I am in good company
Book marking that loading system....I don't exactly know if I am good company, but its a therapy hobby all the way as well. 200  bf or so at a time is enough to take care of.(mostly less) If I need big out put I know some young men down the road 6miles trying to get a business going with an LT 70.  

kelLOGg

Quote from: Gere Flewelling on June 18, 2020, 08:41:01 AM
I saw your rollers in an earlier post, but didn't understand just how they were a benefit to the operation.  After seeing the recent pictures, I can see the value.  What a great idea.  I can see a set of those on my MP-32 in the future.  Thank you for sharing you invention.  That would make a great option for Cook's to offer.
I hadn't thought of the rollers as a Cooks option - I should contact them with your suggestion. I actually made the rollers for another reason: sometimes a log on my rollway is not positioned to land centered on my mill's loader/turner. When this happens I roll the rollers in place, load the log and push it, by hand or with the sawhead to position it where I want it. So, they are helpful getting logs on and lumber off. I love it when that happens.

longtime lurker

I got forklifts and loaders and all the toys, but if we're doing big slabs it always seems to eventually  come back to lifting them high enough with a crowbar to slip in some 1½" pipe for rollers.

Well done.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Tacotodd

I had to do something similar to the pipe idea for rollers back in 2007 for my trailer. The load was only 54" wide but my trailer is only 42". It's just the perfect width for "2 tracken" in my off-road rig. BTW, I still don't own a bigger trailer as this one has done whatever I need and I don't have a bigger or more capable truck. Just saying. 
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!