iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grapples on a Forklift

Started by Gilman, December 03, 2004, 07:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

Anyone have grapples on your forklift?  If so, how do you like them?

Gilman

Something like these

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

WoodSmith

Ha Gilman,
What would a setup like that cost.
It looks like it would be pretty versatile.
Will that fit on most any rig or is it for a standard fork lift only?
Who makes this particular one?

Danny_S

I cant resist.. I have to show you what we build for forkgrapples at our company...

LINK

Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Minnesota_boy

I don't have a forklift, but I had to use a few bobcats at a customers site.  Once you have used graples, it's hard to go back to regular forks.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Norm

When I replace the piece of junk front end loader on my tractor that's one of the options I'm going to get. The ones at Danny's place look well built, don't suppose you could mail me one out in pieces. ;D

oakiemac

Those grapples look great for moving logs and slab wood and such but when you have to move a whack of stacked lumber then it seems that you'd have to change back to straight forks.

I'm wondering how much of a hassle that would be?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Jeff

You guys do realize we have a sponsor that sells grapples and shears?  http://www.gregorygrappler.com/

Take a look. They might have answers for your questions. Contact with them would be a good thing for da forum. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gilman

Woodsmith,
The picture is from; [url]/http://budgetforklift.com/grapples.html[url]
I don't know any prices yet. Danny's company needs to be a FF sponsor.  I like the look of their forklift grapples.  It looks to me like their grapples would fully retract and are heavier duty.  Although you would loose a little lift capacity by extending the forks out a bit.  I think the trade off would be worth it though.

Jeff,  :-[ :-[ I didn't think of looking under Shears for grapples :D  Too bad they don't offer forklift grapples.

I'm looking at buying a used 16,000 lb Cat dually forklift.  I think the grapples would really help production by setting the logs on the mill deck instead of using the loading arms.  Also with handling slabs.

I have to agree that they would get in the way when trying to use the forklift to move a unit of lumber, or such.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Jeff

They just may offer them if you ask. They are a full service welding and fab shop.

Jeff

We have a case loader with what we call "triggers"  great for holding on to logs as you are bouncing across the yard, but totally worthless for moving lumber and loading trucks

Robert_in_W._Mi.

I really like my grabble, and besides useing it at the mill, i use it for all kinds of other things.  I find it's great for holding projects while i'm welding..

Mines made by Quickie ALO, the same company that made my loader.

Last job away from the mill i used it for, was to hold a propane tank while i turned the valve out of it!  :>)

Robert

http://www.fototime.com/{7ED82AC0-60A4-4495-A5F3-FAEBD989033A}/picture.JPG

beenthere

That's a loooonng log and makes for a bbiiiiigg picture   ;D

Nice grapple though.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!