iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Low Kickback vs Standard Kickback chains

Started by hms11, November 22, 2019, 11:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

Depends on what you call a "small " saw .An Ms 200T for example is small and it's a professional model  not a trim the apple tree type once a year . It will bore slick as a whistle with  a standard bar .I have two BTW .Now with a carving bar,which I have also you can cut with the tip but it's not designed to bore cut with .
How about 42 cc size ? I've got an 024 with a factory Stihl bar .It's little and light but with a standard chisel low kick it bores pretty darned well .BTW the bars are white in color not color coded yellow or green .Sounds like paint by number or something . :D < just joking 
BTW  I also have a bunch of Oregon bars ,Stihl mount from 16" to 42 "  which are  grey in color .The few GB bars are white also and for some reason the Carlton bars don't have any paint except the lettering. Saving production costs maybe .Funny thing is I can't tell one bit of difference in how any of them actually cut . 

All this is just conversation because very few people have the need to bore cut and if they do it's not a practice to be taken lightly or by the inexperienced .Just a word to the wise . ;)

ZeroJunk

The Stihl safety bars and chains have either a green dot on the saw end of the bar or a green painted loop of chain,  as opposed to the yellow on non safety chain and bar.

lxskllr

All Stihl's current laminated bars are safety bars, and labeled green. They have a smaller nose than the super bars. I would expect any of the bars to be able to bore with yellow chain, which is where this all started with my comment. You can bore with a green chain and yellow bar, or a yellow chain and a green bar, but you can't bore with a green chain and a green bar.

Al_Smith

Maybe  so if you are strictly talking Stihl equipment which  I like the  products as a whole . They are not the only brand made  now nor were they ever .
I don't know exactly how many of that brand I own.I'd have to take inventory .From like 011-012  to 084 sizes .Plus the fact I have so many Stihl mount bars  it's unlikely I'll ever need to buy a new one .So Its doubtful if I'll ever see those color coded chain and bars .I could make mention of the amount of spare chain loops I have . ;)--I'll refrain .

I'll have to remember that color code because periodically I make a run to my favorite Stihl dealer and raid his "dead" pile for rebuilders .Actually they don't usually take that much .Some people can and some people can't simple as that . ;D

lxskllr

Stihl makes it easy cause it's clear cut as to which category they fall in. I'm not familiar with Husky or Oregon aside from the consumer bars. It would probably be safe to say it's a "pro" bar or "yellow" if it has a replaceable tip. The rest can probably be eyeballed. If it has a compound curve going into the tip, it's probably green(ish), a simple curve would indicate yellow  :shrugs: 

Doesn't matter that much. My only point was that green chain isn't necessarily the hellspawn a lot of people make it out to be. It has to be taken in the context of a complete system including the bar. It may or may not work well depending on the exact components used.

Thank You Sponsors!