iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chestnut and walnut log value

Started by fenris, September 07, 2020, 11:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fenris

Does anybody have approximate values per board foot for Chestnut and black walnut?  They are in a yard so I know that the bottom 8 foot or so may be worthless. I know that the logs aren't necessarily as marketable as you would think when looking at the price of the finished product. I have a friend who's about to down a bunch of trees and I'm trying to avoid him burning them for firewood. I was going to give him $.10 a board foot or something for the logs I could use. I'm sure they're worth more than that but he's in a rush and I'll be the one handling them and trying to figure out what to do with them. Any advice would be appreciated. 

GullyBog

I doubt you could "flip" these for more than firewood value.  The chestnut yard trees I've milled have had shake, every one of them.  I do it because I love chestnut but there is zero value in the log, even delivered to a buyer.  The walnut... sort of a dead horse around here.  The bottom 8 feet is probably the best log even if it is the most likely place for metal.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

fenris

Thanks. I mostly just trying to make sure I'm not ripping the guy off. It sounds like I could buy them for firewood value more or less and be doing him a favor because he wouldn't have to split them. I want some for my projects and I want to see about trying to sell some 30 inch slabs if I can get them. thanks. I'm mostly just trying to make sure I'm not ripping the guy off. It sounds like I could buy them for firewood value more or less and be doing him a favor because he wouldn't have to split them. I want some for my projects and I want to see about trying to sell some 30 inch slabs if I can get them. thanks for the input. 

doc henderson

I have only paid money for two logs in my life.  walnut.  about 100 bucks for the best and another 40 for less desirable logs.  do you have a sawmill?  offer to give him a slab if he wants.  anything is better than nothing.  do not feel that you are steeling the 8 bucks a board foot that someone may get for kiln dried S4S edged wood that you can buy in a hardwood shop.  you are not ripping anyone off.  if he thinks you are, walk away.   :)  you would be doing him a favor, as the tree service will charge him for hauling it to the dump.  the tops are great for firewood.  the wood stove does not care about stress in the limbs.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!