iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

359 Husky

Started by sbhooper, March 16, 2009, 08:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbhooper

I have a Husky 359 that has been at the mechanics for over two weeks.  The saw is only 8 months old and has cut lots of wood, but it suddenly started bogging down and did not want to run. He has tried everything he could think of and even put a kit in the carb.  Nothing worked.  He is going to try to put on another carb that he has to see if that helps.  It acts like something is in the carb, but everything he can possibly check has been stripped.  Is there some place in the carb that could possibly have a small piece of dirt or something that would cause this? 

If this is a cat carb, could the cat be malfunctioning to cause this?  I think he actually a competent mechanic, but this is driving him and me crazy.  Any suggestions?
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

656 International w/grapple
Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

Rocky_J

Tell him to remove the plugged up spark arrester screen from the muffler.

That will be $20, thank you.  8)

sbhooper

I meant a cat muffler, not carb.  The more that I have read  here, the more that I was wondering if it was something like that.  I will call him tomorrow and ask if he checked it.  Thanks.
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

sbhooper

I called him this morning and he said that the screen was the first thing that he checked.  He also completely checked the muffler.  He has a call in to Husqvarna to see what they have to say.  I will post what the final solution is. 
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

cheyenne

There was a recall on the 359 have him check the recall bulliton....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

sbhooper

What was the recall for?  I think he will find that out when he talks to Husqvarna.  Thanks.
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

Cut4fun

See if your 359 has the plastic intake clip or new updated metal one. The plastic one sometimes deforms and creates a air leak and eventually burn the top end up.

I have posted the update and part numbers used on the recall in several 357 359 threads, so just do a search it is all here straight from husky recall list.

sbhooper

Is that for the new saws, or just older ones?  This saw was purchased last summer.  I would hope that when he talks to the Husqvarna people, they would tell him about that if it pertains to my saw.  I'll post the outcome.  Thanks.
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

Cut4fun

Just because you buy a new saw off the shelf. It could be a older one that has set for a year or so or old stock being cleared out. Just check your serial number to the ones on the list here. I posted it several times in past threads.

SawTroll

Quote from: Cut4fun on March 18, 2009, 02:00:12 PM
See if your 359 has the plastic intake clip or new updated metal one. The plastic one sometimes deforms and creates a air leak and eventually burn the top end up.

I have posted the update and part numbers used on the recall in several 357 359 threads, so just do a search it is all here straight from husky recall list.

I believe this happened some time in 2006?

Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: sbhooper on March 19, 2009, 10:08:47 AM
Is that for the new saws, or just older ones?  This saw was purchased last summer.  I would hope that when he talks to the Husqvarna people, they would tell him about that if it pertains to my saw.  I'll post the outcome.  Thanks.

What is the serial number of the saw?

It will tell you when it was made.
Information collector.

sbhooper

I am going to get in touch with the mechanic again tomorrow and see what he found.  I told him about the service bulletin on it and he said that he was pretty sure that was the problem.  I'll post the results. Thanks.
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

sbhooper

Still up against the wall.  The saw had the upgraded parts, so that was not the problem.  Husky thinks it is the tank vent that is causing the problem.  I hopefully will know shortly if it is.
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

Don K

I have a 359 I ordered from Baileys (2006 maybe). I did a search for the recall thread to see if I had the plastic intake but couldn't find it. Does anybody have it saved? I would hate to burn it up if I can prevent it.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Cut4fun

Took me about 5 mins to find it myself. Forgive the re-re-re-post  ;).

All of this is a re-post from the other 357 thread done just before this one.

Service Bulletin for 357XP, 359, 353, 346XP
This service bulletin is not new. I thought that there might be some out there who were not aware of it so here it is. If your saw has a black plastic clamp around the intake right next to the cylinder it is applicable to it. If the clamp is of steel construction then you should be ok.

B0600023
SERVICE

*537 43 88-01*
*compl 537 25 13-02
English 1 (1)

SB, 357 XP, 359, 353, 346 XP,
Partition wall and clamp for intake system,
2006-03

The existing intake system on 357XP, 359,353 and 346XP currently consists of an integrated plastic clamp in the partition wall. As the clamp is made of plastic, there is a risk of deformation. This results in impaired clamping force against the cylinder, which in turn can result in leakage in the intake system. To prevent this from occurring, we have now introduced a metal clamp and a new partition wall.

The new partition wall is made up of polyamide with 30 % fibre glass.
The new clamp is a hardened steel clamp. The new material and the design of the clamp reduce the risk of deformation and the subsequent risk of leakage.

Full replaceability prevails.
Introduced from serial number:
357XP 061100201
359 061100001
353 061100001
346XP 061100001

New part no. Description Excl. part. no. Remark
537 25 13-02 Partition wall, intake, complete New spare part
537 43 88-01 Clamp, intake New spare part

Spare part, partition wall, part number 537 25 13-01, has been discontinued and is replaced by part number 537 25 13-02.

UP DATE  on the plastic clamp and getting the warranty covered new one for replacement.

It took over a year to find the freaking air leak I knew it had, turned out the plastic clamp on my 357 was leaking and why it wasn't running up to par for awhile now.

A friend happen to have a extra old style plastic intake for the saw laying around and installed it and wallah, no more leak. Thanks.

Anyhow you have to take the saw with serial number and the month and year you purchased it  . No receipt was needed thank goodness.

They ordered me a complete updated intake for the 357 FREE of charge and even gave me the old part back. I think me and this new dealer in my area is going to get along. I bought stuff I didn't need because he was so helpful and got right on the phone with husqvarna rep.

I took a copy of the post I made for the dealer to see. He wanted to keep a copy for his files and called the husky rep. I will post again and you can copy it for them. It has the saws listed and serial numbers affected listed in it. It is NO COST to the dealers it is all covered by husky. The rep even said they are paying for top end rebuilds that come back to the leaky intake seal. Good Luck.

Any serial number before the one posted is affected and probably still has the plastic type clamp. If he tells you different he is just shrugging you off and dont want  deal with it.

Nothing fancy for carb tuning.
For firewood cutting I have always followed this Madsen's carb tuning link.
http://www.madsens1.com/saw%20carb%20tune.htm
I think stock the 357 is 14K wot, firewood cutting go for the burble and just a hair past clean up sound. Just keep a eye on your plug, thats the true tell all.

357XP / 359

IPL

http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/usa/2003/I03000/I0301129.pdf

Workshop Manual

http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HWEN/HWEN2000/HWEN2000_1019117-26.pdf

Got the new parts. Easy fix. Pull your carb and intake, remove the old leaky part with 2 new redesigned parts. half hour at best and no cost to you. *compl 537 25 13-02

Don K

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Stephen Alford

Hey all ; have not had very many problems with the 359's but thought I might mention the problems I have had so hopefully might save someone some grief. For some reason the diaphragm will go . The thing is they will look fine when held to a light etc however when replaced problem gone. They appear to just weaken maybe its my gas or the rather harsh environment they work in but they are the problem that gets noticed.  The holes for the recoil  tend to strip rather quickly and keep a spare muffler.  I have to say I am pleased with their overall performance as they do put up with a lot. :)
logon

Thank You Sponsors!