iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

The mahogany trees I planted from seed are getting pretty big.  The ones that aren't competing anyway.   A couple are tiny because they're under canopy.  I'll have to post some pics when I get back.  A couple are almost as big as the parent trees.  The biggest shades the driveway where I turn. :)

caveman

DonP, I believe the tree pictured has the same chemical that is in the black willows.  The leaves taste similarly bitter.
Caveman

caveman

The last tree pictured was a European Olive Tree.

If someone here buy's it, I'll suggest to the sellers that they contribute to the FF.
Caveman

Ianab

Here is one from the Islands. This is only a small one on our rental  lawn, but they grow into a small tree. The fruit is edible, if you are hungry enough the ignore the taste.

<br
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

KEC

Exotic Tree sp.  :laugh:

kanoak

Noni in hawaiian, (Morinda citrifolia). When I tried it, I thought the ripe fruit tastes a lot like bleu cheese. The plant has all kinds of medicinal and other ethnobotanical usages.

Check out http://cookislands.bishopmuseum.org/search.asp for a nice flora.
Aloha,
Kanoa

Ianab

Yup, it's a Noni. One alternative name is actually Cheese Fruit, due to the taste. It's originally from Sth East Asia, but was spread across the Pacific by the early Polynesian settlers, which is how it got to Hawaii. If can handle drought and salt well so was an important backup food for the Polynesians.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!