iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hay-scented Fern: Seeking advice on control methods

Started by xtenon, June 20, 2007, 10:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtenon

Hello.

I'm hoping to learn how best to control hay-scented fern.  There are areas in our woodlot in western PA which are densely covered with hay-scented fern.  And where we've removed trees and let in light, the ferns really go to town the year after. 

I've been told that Roundup applied in late September will kill the fern and perhaps spare  hardwood seedlings going into dormancy.  If this is the best method, I'd like to confirm the concentration of the mix (I have a Solo hand sprayer) and the timing.

From what I have learned thus far, browsing by deer has given rise to the heavy fern carpets.  So killing whitetail does seems to be part of the solution also?

Thanks.

Ron Wenrich

Get in contact with your state service forester.  He would be able to give you the best solution for problems in your area.  Here is a map for the service foresters in Pennsylvania.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/serviceforesters_select.aspx
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WAP Man

Velpar /Pronone may work better. Pronone is velpar in a granular form and can be broadcast .

Round up is quite " hot" and is not very selective. Any small hardwood in leaf that are in contact with the spray drift may be killed.

Velpar/Pronone can be appled in the spring just as things are staring to green up. Here it's around the first of June.

Check out the label  or ask your State Forestry Extension person. :P

xtenon

Thanks Ron and WAP Man,
We're looking into both suggestions.

Thank You Sponsors!