iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Problems with my ash

Started by flip, April 28, 2007, 11:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

Here's a pic. I took the other evening.  I'm thinking it's an ash tree but won't swear by it.  The concern I have is that about 3/4 up the trunk the bark is hanging off or starting to fall off in a large sheet.  The tree does not appear to have been hit by lightning and is in a short row with a few other ashes and cherrys.  I can see the small leaves beginning to pop out but not sure what to make of the bark problem.  My first thought was, "oh scrap, EAB".  Any thoghts?  I know pic is bad, the sun was going down when I shot it.

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Todd

Are you seeing any new branch sprouts lower on the main trunk? Thats one sign of EAB. Also, look at any of the bark that falls off for signs of the pest...you will see little meandering trails on the underside of the bark. 
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

flip

I'll get the pole saw out and peel a chunk off later today.  I hate bugs... >:(

Phorester

For one thing you have to ID it. If it's not an ash, then of course it can't be EAB.  As you say, we can't tell much from the first photo, but from that it doesn't look like ash to me.

Take a look at how the branches grow.  Ash has opposite branching.  Meaning that the twigs come out exactly opposite each other from a larger branch.

SwampDonkey

Take a picture in the daylight from a distance so there is a blue skyline behind it. That will give us a silhouette of the tree at least. Branches on open grown trees do tend to bend up from the trunk, then arch down and up on the end (sinusoidal).
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

flip

OK.  Here are a few more pics. of the offending tree.
Just a pic of the lower part of the crown.
This one show some of the tree dead at the top.
Still not sure it's ash or not but the bark is light and has light mossy stuff growing on it.  I am concerned because in this row is 3 more trees like it, hate to see a disease or bug killem'.

Flip

SwampDonkey

The arching branches sure remind me of ash, but I'de like to see a leaf. Do they have 7 - 9 petioles (leaflets) each joined by a petiolule (leaflet stem) to the main leaf stem, thus making up an entire compound leaf? Kind of similar to walnut leaves? Do a Google on white ash or green ash. The lichen or moss on the tree are not harmful. It could be damage from a blight. Sometimes a fungus hits black ash and can wipe out quite a few of kill half the crown. I don't know what it is, but the leaves turn yellow with black blotches. Did you see any flowers on your tree this spring?

black ash flowers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

OK Flip.  You might know your ash from a hole in the ground (to borrow from another recent post) ;D.  The tree in the pic is opposite branched as Phorester spoke of (the second pic clearly shows opposite branching).  It looks like ash, but hard to tell for sure from the pic.  I am pretty sure that it is ash, but it could be box elder or even maple.  A pic of a leaf would confirm it.  So, lets say it is ash.  If so, I defer to those who are experts on the emerald ash borer.   If it is ash, you might be in trouble.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

flip

I will get up on a ladder or on the loader and try to yank some leaves or get a better pic.  I wasn't able to get to the bark that was falling off (too high) so still don't know what's under it  ???

estiers

If it is ash, and you have crown die back and bark falling off at the top of the tree, please call your county extension agent IMMEDIATELY.  Given your location, this is a big deal as no EAB finds have been made that far south.  It could be EAB, it sounds like EAB.  But I am not good enough to diagnose over the internet!   Please call your extension office.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Todd

Gee Erin, no matter how far away ya move you can't get away from EAB eh?

OneWithWood

DanG, Flip follow Erin's advice.  If it is EAB that would be bad news indeed.  I know it is north of me in and around Indianapolis.  If it is also south of me down your way I am worried.  I have a number of healthy and beautiful ash trees.  I want to keep it that way  ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

flip

SCRAP! >:(  Now I may have to cut the thing down to see the top ;D ;)

If I do knock it down are there any identifiers besides the EAB beetle itself?

Robert Long

Flip

Look around the bark from eye level and up to the crown of the tree if it is EAB you will see D shaped holes of entry made by the adult. Also, if the tree was perfectly healthy before the infestation you will see shoots or suckers pop up from around the trunk at the ground also the tree will over produce seeds this past year as it is stressed.

AS others have said, look at the inside of the bark for the tracks, they are there by the thousands.

If it is ash and you suspect the EAB have it looked at by a professional ASAP especially if you haven't heard of it being in your area before.  All ash trees in the area will be infested with-in the year.

Your tree will leaf out this year, next year it will show dead branches from the crown up until it's completely dead.

Up here the EAB starts moving around in May so deal with it soon.

Good luck with it!

Robert

flip

OK, I knocked off the loose bark, and pulled off a small group of leaves.

the trees that are on the left are 2 cherry and 3 ash.  the last ash is about 45" dbh

Jeff

Flip look for these similar galleries on the exposed trunk and the D shaped exit holes in the bark. The holes have an unmistakable shape.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Todd

DanG it Jeff, I just went out in the shop with my camera and took some pictures of EAB galleries...not only did you post it first, yours are better :(  Flip, you may not see the extent of galleries that the example has, but thats what they look like.

estiers

I just want to reinforce that if you even suspect that it is EAB, CALL SOMEONE.  And do not move the wood until you have confirmation that it is not EAB.  We don't need to spread it around.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

WDH

The leaf you posted is definitely ash.  Follow Ms. Estiers advice.  Hopefully it is not what it seems to be.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Robert Long

Hello all who are interested in the Emerald Ash Borer Story

We are in that area where the EAB first occurred back in the Detroit, Windsor area in 2002 and now for us we have no white ash left in the area but for those who are in the first stages of the infestation you may be interested in this story which is going on up here in the London, Ontario area.......

The Canadian Forest service has recently injected 250 ash trees with a natural insecticide called "neem".
An insecticide made from the seed of the neem tree.

This insecticide is already registered for use in both Canada and the United States.

The insecticide apparently interferes with the larvae's moulting and kills them.

Robert

SwampDonkey

Thanks for the info Robert. Didn't know they were targeting white ash. Thought it was green or black ash they preferred. But, I suppose they are less selective if the other ashes are scarce.

cheers

Robert Long

SwampDonkey

We had mostly white ash, some black and some green and a number of the rarer blue ash ( identified by it's square shaped twigs) and the only one they left behind was the blue ash.....they must not like the taste of it :D

Robert

Thank You Sponsors!