iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

036 problems

Started by Ducksnuff870, September 25, 2012, 09:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ducksnuff870

I can cut with my 036 for about 10 mins before the engine starts cutting out in the middle of a cut. I can pull it out of the cut and it will free rev perfect at full throttle as soon as I put her back in the wood she starts cutting out again. It seems like if I shut the saw off to split some logs for a bit, I can pick the saw back up and cut for another 10 mins. after 10 mins she starts acting up again. Should I start with a carb rebuild, possible sawdust in the carb? Is my coil igntion wire getting hot? I'm frustrated to say the least. My saw almost took flight in my fit of rage today. >:( >:( >:(

Slab Slicer

Chasing an electrical problem can be a nightmare. Fortunately there isn't much the electrical system on the old 036. Dirt getting sucked into, and eventually clogging would cause the saw to run poorly even after pulling it out of the cut. Although if you shut it off to do so, the dirt may settle away from the filter, and allow it to run.

How long has it been since you rebuilt the engine? Worn rings can cause it to have little power under  load, such as during a cut. I'm no chain saw expert, but I've built / rebuilt a few 2 stroke motors in my day.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Al_Smith

If for some reason the saw becomes clogged with chips perhaps around the back portion of the cylinder it will not cool correctly .Stihl makes as a rule a pretty hardy ignition system but if the ignition coil cannot disperse the built up heat it can do strange things .

I might also add that the 036 model is usually pretty reliable .

ladylake

Could also be a clogged tank vent, to check just loosen and tighten the gas cap when it acts up.  Put a new fuel filter in too.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

One other thing if it's tuned lean it will get too hot, does it scream under no load if so turn the high screw out untill it slows down a bit.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ducksnuff870

Thanks for the suggestions. I put a used stihl jug i bought off the internet on it last winter. I of course installed new rings so im hoping its not compression issues. Im leaning towards the leaning out and getting hot? Its does scream at full throttle under no load.

Slab Slicer

Sounds like a lean issue then. If your going to be turning any screws, be sure the gas is fresh, and the air filter is cleaned.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Al_Smith

Under no load full throttle you about have to have that "4 cycle stutter " or else it really won't run right .It doesn't sound as fast but once you get into the cut  that stutter  turns to power .

It takes fuel to make power and a lean set carb just won't get -er-done the way it should .Besides that too lean can cook a top end if you run it long enough that way .

ladylake

Al's right, saws tuned with good blubber that goes away as soon as you start sawing will cut faster. Saws that scream will bog easy.   Steve

joe_indi

This sounds like a partial  lean out.
The result is at normal revs it gets adequate fuel, but at full load it cannot get adequate fuel.
Simple cause would be a partially blocked pickup body.Just replace it.
Or a partially blocked strainer in the carb. Fortunately you dont need to have the carb off the saw because this is a 036.
Remove the air filter. This will give you full access to the single screw on the top which holds the pump diaphragm.
Remove the lid and the diaphragm. You will see a well with a small circular wire mesh inside. Use a pin to carefully lift the mesh out.
Use fuel and soap to clean this strainer.
Dry it and fix it back in its well.
Use a bit of grase to hold the diaphragm in position on the lid.
Drop the lid back into position, screw it down.
Set L screw at 1 1/2 turns and H at 1 turn.
Start it up and blip the throttle to get rid of any air trapped in the carb.
Warm the saw up and adjust L by screwing it in a bit till you get a proper idle.
You might need to adjust the LA screw also for the idle.
Once you have the idle adjusted, turn in H if the engine four strokes too much.But the 036 needs more four stroking at full revs, out of the cut, than other saws or you stand to lose a crankshaft.

Joe

Thank You Sponsors!