iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw Circle saw power

Started by Lambee10, February 09, 2015, 01:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimparamedic

Detroit engines can be set up to run in reverse. 

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: crash on February 11, 2015, 06:38:52 PM
Quote from: beenthere on February 11, 2015, 01:22:39 PM
Quotehe just put a twist in the belts to get the correct rotation at the mandrel. .... I'm no expert but that doesn't seem like the best idea.

Back in the day, we ran a lot of farm equipment with a twist in the belt. No harm in doing that, and may think it is better (less flopping around ?? ) than running a straight belt with no twist.

Silage blower, one example of such equipment.
This guy twisted his V belts, seems like it would be hard on them but I don't know.  Twisting flat belts is/was common and I believe harmless.

I have a twisted v belt on my lathe (it is only one hp so hard to compare it to a sawmill) for the first 30 seconds or so rubber was flying everywhere,  once the corners got worn off it appears to no longer wear.  It was probably 5 years ago that I set it up and it doesn't look and worse now than it did after the first minute of running it.  At one time I put a piece of aluminum between the halfs of the belt where it rubbed but since it has a variable pulley on it it got in the way so I removed it.

bandmiller2

My old ford baler uses a twisted "V" belt to drive the pickup. The more distance between the pulleys the better if your running a "V" twisted. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Joe Lallande

When I set my Belsaw up and changed it from a flat belt to pulleys and V belts, I had to use a cross shaft to achieve the correct rotation. I found the cross shaft and large pulley from a local sawmill. I was then able to use the cross shaft for my blower power. I used a standard tractor PTO drive shaft and was able to find the splined ends from our local farm supply store.  Stay away from automotive drive shafts unless you have a junk yard close to you. Check out my gallery.

beenthere

QuoteCheck out my gallery.

Pls. put the pic you want us to see in your post, then you can point out the feature you want us to see. tks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!