iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2012 Annual Forestry Forum Christmas Contest.

Started by Jeff, December 14, 2012, 10:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

via way of GA.  :D Can't buy them things this far North.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Well I'll tell ya right now,I'm not applying for no permit.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dodgy Loner

Drat, snubbed again :'(

Danny and I wood appreciate it if next year's contest involves the identification and recitation (from memory) of the scientific names of multiple obscure woody plants native to the Southeastern United States. That ought to narrow down the field a bit ;D

Just kidding, congrats to the winners and many thanks to Jeff and to all who donated gifts to make the contest possible. Happy belated New Year! :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Chuck White

I would think that it would be quite a job just making up the "search-a-word".

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

With my luck I'm surprised I did not get the fifth prize.  :D

Brucer

One month later ...

I promised Tammy I'd post a picture of my new cant hook when it got here (not it didn't take THAT long). The thing is, when you ship stuff to Canada, even gifts, you have to watch out for brokerage charges. Everything that crosses the border has to be brokered across. The big couriers usually provide this service automatically -- and charge you a bunch for doing it >:(. They don't bother to mention this to the shipper, because technically it's the receiver who is importing the goods. On the other hand, if you send the article by mail, Canada Posts charges a very nominal fee for brokerage services and the USPS will usually warn the sender in advance.

Fortunately Tammy already knew this and was planning to mail my cant hook anyway. I told her not to rush, as all I could do with it right now is measure how much snow is beside my mill ;D. The prize arrived several weeks ago but I didn't manage to get out to the milling site until late last week.

Here's my new cant hook, alongside it's smaller and much older brother.

And here's how deep the snow was last week (both cant hooks are in this picture, too ;D ).

That's the sawmill behind the two cant hooks (you can see the mast over on the left). This is actually a pretty mild winter so far. A few heavy snowfalls, and then weeks of no precipitation at all. The skiiers alternate between joy and depression.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!