iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chestnut oak

Started by alanh, June 05, 2016, 08:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanh

I have several logs that were in the river for a while that I've finally determined Chestnut Oak. Whats it good for? I have a couple orders pending for trailer decking,  is it suitable or be better for another use?

Cazzhrdwd

I usually saw it for fence boards, tough to get one 16ft though. Seems to be harder than regular white oak. Should be fine for trailer decking, everyone seems to want white oak.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Ianab

It's normally sold as "Mixed White Oak" if you have a log good enough to saw. Strength and durability should be similar to the other species of White Oak.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

scsmith42

Chestnut white oak is one of the 3 or 4 species of white oak that are open pored, and because of this it is not well suited for outdoor applications (as compared with closed pored white oak).

It sure is pretty when quartersawn though.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Cazzhrdwd

Wiki has some decent facts on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_prinus

Personally I don't like to saw it. It's incredibly hard but I think it saws out better than "regular" WO. I seem to get nicer grading lumber than the regular WO
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Ron Wenrich

I've sawn millions of bf of chestnut oak.  I don't find it to be that hard.  Northern white oak always seems harder to saw.  A lot would depend on location and the width of the growth rings.  If you have chestnut oak that has grown on thin soil on a mountainside with poor growth, then you'll get some harder wood.  But, bottom grown chestnut oak saws the same as red oak.  If it wasn't for chestnut oak, our white oak grade would have been pretty bad.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

Quote from: scsmith42 on June 05, 2016, 11:04:56 PM
Chestnut white oak is one of the 3 or 4 species of white oak that are open pored

Scott,

What are the others?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!