iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill engine noise ?

Started by shortlogger, May 23, 2014, 05:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortlogger

Has anyone tried adding a differnt muffler or some sort of device to better quiet down their sawmill engine exaust ? I'm sure a lot of the noise comes from the motor itself but every little bit would help. I was thinking maybe a person could buy a better muffler and bring the noise level down a 1/4 or even a 1/3 maybe , sure would make the milling process a little more enjoyable .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

bandmiller2

Mate, there are several trails you can take. Most engine manuf.'s make a quiet muffler for their engines, but they taint cheap. If you have room vector the exhaust up or away from you. You could mount a big muffler and flex pipe to it. I had a 2 cyl Wisconsin on my bandmill and made a resonator to clamp on its output. If you can torch weld, mufflers are not hard to make, all my off road stuff has home made. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pineywoods

Air cooled engines are noisy, just the nature of the beast. Better muffler might help, but the noise comes from several sources. My mill has a 25 hp liquid cooled kawasaki with a large muffler. (kawmizer, woodsaki ?)I can actually hear the blade in the wood..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Joe Hillmann

If the engine already has a muffler that is in good condition then putting a better muffler on it will do little to quite it down.  With small engines most of the noise you hear is coming through the steel of the engine rather than from the muffler.

sealark37

I found a pair of like new Suzuki motorcycle mufflers at  the dump.  After some experimenting with mounts and piping, one muffler cut the noise level by 50%. 

bedway

Did it have a noticeable effect on the performance of the engine?

Den-Den

As bandmiller2 said "mufflers are not hard to make".  A friend advised me on making a muffler when I built my mill and it was pretty easy.  Making the exhaust piping from engine to muffler was tricky but the muffler was simple.
Mine is basically two tubes (one inside the other).  The engine exhaust comes into the outer tube, travels though a section packed with stainless scrubbing pads (from Sams) then goes into the inner tube through a perforated section (many 1/2" holes) and exits.  There is still quite a bit of noise from the engine and mill but not too much exhaust noise.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: Den-Den on May 23, 2014, 02:02:01 PM
As bandmiller2 said "mufflers are not hard to make".  A friend advised me on making a muffler when I built my mill and it was pretty easy.  Making the exhaust piping from engine to muffler was tricky but the muffler was simple.
Mine is basically two tubes (one inside the other).  The engine exhaust comes into the outer tube, travels though a section packed with stainless scrubbing pads (from Sams) then goes into the inner tube through a perforated section (many 1/2" holes) and exits.  There is still quite a bit of noise from the engine and mill but not too much exhaust noise.

As long as you are giving information on making a muffler I'll chime in with my two cents.  I am having a hard time finding a muffler to replace the rusted out muffler on my mill.  The guy who was trying to help me find one that would fit  told me that I could quiet the engine way down just by attaching a piece of pipe to it that had at least two bends in it and making sure the exhaust points away from the operator will work almost as well as the $80 muffler that was the closest fit to my engine and would require reworking some of the sheet metal on it.

hackberry jake

Due to clearance issues I built an aftermarket exhause with black pipe and fittings and just used two screw on type lawnmower mufflers... it is definately louder. I always wear ear plugs around my mill. Ear plugs also have the added benefit of keeping those pesky gnats out of your ears.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

sealark37

The Suzuki muffler did not effect the engine power.  You need a muffler with larger internal volume to absorb the exhaust pulses.  A larger unit will not increase back pressure or decrease power.   Regards, Clark

LeeB

Going deaf from listening to engine noise over the years has made my muffler work much better. Can hardly hear the engine run now.  ::) ::) :o
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

bandmiller2

If you use heavy pipe or long legnths of light pipe be sure to support it other than the engine, vibration is bad. Sometimes something as simple an  elbow to vector the exhaust away from you is enough. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sawguy21

Quote from: LeeB on May 23, 2014, 11:12:23 PM
Going deaf from listening to engine noise over the years has made my muffler work much better. Can hardly hear the engine run now.  ::) ::) :o
I have that problem too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!