iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Winner, winner chicken dinner! Aleppo pine aka Jerusalem pine.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

Here's an easy one. The one in the middle. Sorry, very far away. Grows very tall and large girth. Claimed to be the biggest tree by volume, second by height. This is in Trieste, Italy.

John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Don P

Largest by volume second in height sounds like a sequoia? That looks like a beautiful garden  :)

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

Yes, Giant Sequoia. The original owners/builders were renowned botanical collectors. The massive library had volumes of books on horticulture. IIRC, one set had drawings of over 3,000 types of roses.

John Sawicky

tule peak timber

Difficult to tell but the leaf structure does not look like the Sequoias in my yard here.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Ljohnsaw

Ok, I'll admit I didn't walk down and look at the sign. It's definitely not incense cedar. And pretty sure it's not coastal redwood (the world's tallest tree).
Alas, I won't be going by there to take another look.
John Sawicky

Don P

My one memory of the same ones everyone else has seen is only 50 years old  :D. i was going by the verbal. I'd bet on Rob's visual  :).

Don P

While John is between places, I had walked by this the other day and it mentally tallied as something else we have a lot of in my head. 

When I saw it in bloom yesterday I said oops :D

Ianab

Quote from: Don P on March 26, 2023, 07:14:57 PM
While John is between places, I had walked by this the other day and it mentally tallied as something else we have a lot of in my head.

When I saw it in bloom yesterday I said oops :D

Prunus Avium? 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Don P

:D, You're a level deeper than me, I was happy with cherry, but I think you are right. 

Ianab

They are common here in NZ as an ornamental, and the birds spread the seeds far and wide. This volunteer one sprouted up on the back lawn a few years back, and I've left it there as it's a nice shade tree in Summer.  It's had some pruning so it's easy to walk and mow under.  Most years I mow hundreds of seedlings down on the lower lawn.

Bonus is they actually attract the native birds. Tui (a honey eater) seek them out around town when they flower early in Spring, before most of the native trees. Then in Autumn the Kereru (wood pigeons) go for the little cherries as they ripen. 

This is one I actually planted down by the back fence almost 20 years ago. Mostly as quick shelter for my native trees.

Makes me wonder if they would actually work as a timber species here, the tree isn't that tall, and they don't seem long lived, but if you could grow a decent hardwood saw log in 30 years? The wood is similar to your Black Cherry, although not as much colour. It's used for woodworking around Europe where it's native.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ljohnsaw

I think the bark is an easy tell. But, which kind is it over here in Siena, Italy?

John Sawicky

Don P

I was going to say olive but the bark looks wrong to me.

Ljohnsaw

I know, the leaves are misleading! Ours typically have lobes.
John Sawicky

Ianab

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 27, 2023, 03:24:43 PMthink the bark is an easy tell. But, which kind is it over here in Siena, Italy?

A Live Oak, Quercus ilex maybe?

Ljohnsaw

Ding, ding, ding. Not sure of the exact but here are the acorns. A little small for the live oak I'm used to in California. Included a little something for scale 🫤

John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

No clue what this is but I'm pretty sure one of you do!  Having never seen one I was going to guess shagbark hickory since it looks shaggy- but it's not that.

John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

No guesses on that last one?

Ok, how about this common one that MM saws a bit of. I'm in Toledo, Spain.

As you can see, absolutely huge! I didn't get a shot of the leaves but it has those little spikey balls.
John Sawicky

Old Greenhorn

This one I know, it's a European Sycamore. Distinctive bark. Never sawed it yet. Had them where I grew up as ornamentals along the streets, but never saw one up this way.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Ljohnsaw

I don't think I posted it in my Traveling Abroad thread but over in Croatia and Slovenia, they lined the roads out in the country. Planted probably 50 feet apart, maybe more, and pruned them into vase shaped with open centers. Probably only one 8 foot saw log each.
John Sawicky

Clark

Given your location I'm going to guess horse chestnut for the previous tree. At least, something in that genus.
SAF Certified Forester

Ljohnsaw

No, it's a sycamore.

Edit: miss read your post. 1418 horse Chestnut, 1419 sycamore 
John Sawicky

Don P

Thank You Sponsors!