The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: WM (LT50) Debarker questions  (Read 1708 times)

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
Re: WM (LT50) Debarker questions
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2021, 01:39:14 PM »
Apologies x3. I misspoke. It is the heavy washer that goes on underneath the blade that has the flat spot in it that matches the flat spot on the mandrel.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2021, 01:41:20 PM »
Iím speaking of my 2001 LT 40 super, and 2019 LT 70 super debarkers. I have no idea whatís on a 35. And if you didnít know there is a flat spot in the washer, there probably isnít one there any more anyway. :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2021, 05:08:54 PM »
There may be a couple of flats there now. ;D :D Yeah, I don't recall on the bushing if I mess with it before the winter closes in I will take a better look. 
 Howard, the unit on the LT50 does not have that disc below the blade, it has a radial band that is part of the blade shroud. I froze my toes off all day but never got closer than 100' to the mill so I didn't have time to check in on all this stuff. Maybe tomorrow or Monday. It's getting cold which makes me just get the work done and get home.  The high for today was 38 and the average wind speed was 15mph. I never broke a sweat.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2021, 09:31:48 AM »
Another thing I found on my adjustment for my debarker is on saw head in front of me as i lean over to  look down the log. I can adjust the level of the dbarker as it runs down the log. If it is out by a tad in close it is out by a lot on large logs as the debarker swings out. It took me a while to find this problem, like a few hundred hours of sawing. Like a lot of  everything I do, it tends to be simple. I found it after reading an old post from Tom about adjusting band rollers on a WM and he mentioned A WM has 6 ways to adjust everything. lol I was looking at the mill sawing and the Debarker was all the way out when I noticed it had a bit of a tilt and then I saw the 2 adjustment right in front of my eyes. The frame holding the debarker to the saw head has 2 bolts which can be adjusted. It sure runs nice now and no breakers tripping, blade folows the debarker line.  
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2021, 11:47:25 AM »
If your debarker blade is canted to the cut, it will definitely kick the breaker. Sometimes when changing a band I will place a small chunk of wood behind the debarker arm to pivot it out of my way a bit. Sometimes I also forget that piece of wood in there, and it takes a while to figure out the performance and breaker popping issues🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️😂
Too many irons in the fire

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2021, 04:02:41 PM »
   I got out today and adjusted my debarker height. I just put a blade on the saw then used the blade tilt tool that came with the mill and adjusted the debarker blade down till it was centered on that. The cut was tracking dead center in the debarker groove before the blade got loose.

While I was at it I moved the little plastic connection to the hydraulics in just a fudge to get a better connection and less arcing. I'm tired of having to move the head forward or back an inch or so to get the hydraulics to work and I've sanded the spots off a couple times recently. It is so simple to move the little plastic connection over I should have done that long ago too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2021, 09:59:20 AM »
Just a quick follow-up on this one. First, yes, there is a flat in the washer/spacer/bushing but not it the blade.

Second, I had some time over the weekend and flipped the blade and reversed the motor direction as several here, as well as WM advised. Now the blade spins so that it throws chips away from the operator. Yesterday I ave it a full test on both large and smaller logs. It worked pretty much like a dream. I onl tripped the breaker twice: Once was because it got nearly full wrapped in a knot/short stub and I would have expected an overload for that regardless, and the second time was at the far end of an 18' log where I couldn't see well and I think the log grew too fast and the blade pushed in too hard. Certainly this is a huge improvement. We have backup breakers on order and I plan a full alignment next time I get to mess with it. There may still be some heeling going on. Still it is hugely better.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2021, 10:17:05 AM »
reversed the motor direction

Was that just a matter of reversing the wires at the motor?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2021, 10:18:34 AM »
Watch out that the blade doesnít become unscrewed. You can get a reverse mandrel if it becomes a problem.

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2021, 10:20:43 AM »
Good point. The current mandrel is left hand thread.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline John S

• Share Post
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2021, 10:28:59 AM »
Yes, WM sent me a new mandrel and I reversed the wires.  That was in the spring of 2018 after a few months of operation.  After popping the circuit breaker multiple times per day, it now pops a few times each year.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2021, 02:56:20 PM »
Well, lets be clear here. First, yes, I flipped the blade over then reversed the wiring on the motor.
 Second, the direction it rotates in now would tend to drive the screw tighter rather than loosen it.
 Third, there are a great many variations on WM's debarkers between the different mill models, wide models, revised arm designs, blades with flats, blades without, spacers, no spacers, Extra disc on the blade shaft or not. You can't really generalize any of it because it leads to a lot of confusion and mis-information. I hesitate on flipping the rotation, but we checked with WM and they basically said 'Yup, do it, it will run better'. Always talk to the builder. :D ;D
 Not a single breaker trip today. :) 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Bent debarker on the new LT50

Started by JVK on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post March 17, 2012, 01:39:13 AM
by JVK
xx
LT40 Woodmizer Mark I debarker questions

Started by hauler83 on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 03:00:48 PM
by sparks