Sponsors:

Bridge over ditch

Started by Mainecoast, October 14, 2021, 08:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Quote from: WDH on October 23, 2021, 08:00:56 AM
Chris Jim,

That dates me.  
Sorry to disappoint you Danny, but if you see my post in the Carbon Dating thread you will realize I date Vikings. I like you and all, but not in that way.
:D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

I knew that you thought that I was handsome  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

You Never Even Called Me By My Name   smiley_guitarist  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

You were drunk when your Mama got out of prison.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

aigheadish

I just got 2 24"x20' culvert pipes to replace 3 much smaller pipes going under my land bridge. My creek is narrow but a couple times a year we get water that'll wash a lot out. Right now those 3 pipes sit about 2-3 feet under the surface but water will go right over the bridge. The existing pipes only give me about 8' of width and getting the backhoe over it is tense, only a couple inches on each side, and you can watch the dirt crumble while driving over it. My plan is to uninstall the old, widen the bridge, from yonder side to this side, a bit, to accommodate 2 wider pipes. Then I have buried concrete blocks that I'll add back in and likely lots of rock on the uphill side to hopefully keep any of the dirt from washing out. The plan is to then make the bridge about 12' wide, with a fair slope to the edges, rather than the sharp slopes I currently have that I watch crumble away. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Splinter

My small bridge is modified mat style.
2x6 or 8 PT (can't recall without looking) with 2" spacers. All stacked up and put all thread in 4 places right through.
The all thread when tight spreads the load across all the 2x pieces like the timber mats.
I made a trench to hold some PT sills. Just a rot resistant flat and level surface for the deck to sit on at each end.
I  used some 2x wet service load span tables on the internet to come up with the beam depth required for my load, which is an RTV loaded with green firewood and me.
Could drive across without decking, but dogs didn't like it, and ankle twisting was a real possibility.
Was all wiggly until I tightened up the nuts. Really solid now. Been a year and a half. Still haven't had to re-tighten.
I put some 1" hemlock decking on it that was laying around from a previous project. Love the clatter it makes when I drive across.
Holds 5000# vehicle.

Went PT because I didn't want to do it over. Even if the ends get soft, thats not where the stress is in a bridge timber, should last longer than me.
Drill the holes a little oversized for the all thread.  Was a bitch to get it through.
Protect the thread ends when hammering it through.
If interested I can get some pics.
Cost was very reasonable compared to any bridge design I could come up with that had beams. Mostly because beam bridges need stout decking to transfer the load across all the beams. Mat bridges it's all in one.
Anyway it was a great solution for me. Very happy with it.

richhiway

a lot of the wooden deck bridges around here use 2x6 and wider on edge for decking. Takes more lumber but very stout.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!