iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpener

Started by Bruno of NH, November 22, 2021, 12:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

Good call Bruno. I hope they work out. There are other CBN wheel suppliers out ther for sure. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Bruno of NH on November 24, 2021, 12:46:51 AM
Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 23, 2021, 09:17:50 PM
What's the price on one of those Viel machines?
$1,400.00 US + $135 shipping to my yard
The grinder is a baldor which is a good brand unit.
Bruno,
What blades are you running and what wheel did you order with your Viel?  I ordered one of these last week but having a hard time specifying the right wheel.  
I also played a little dollar conversion game.  There is another company that sells this in the US for $1,100 + shipping, but out of stock, no ETA.  So I went on the Viel site and you can choose CDN$ or US$.  The US$ price was $1,217.21.  OK, that's better.  But I went ahead and paid in CDN$ with PayPal.  PayPal's rate of conversion was better! $1,164.92 + shipping (US$89.73) and supposed to ship this week.  But with Canadian postal, I might not see it until February! ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bruno of NH

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 02, 2021, 03:19:20 PM
The grinder is a baldor which is a good brand unit.
Bruno,
What blades are you running and what wheel did you order with your Viel?  I ordered one of these last week but having a hard time specifying the right wheel.  
I also played a little dollar conversion game.  There is another company that sells this in the US for $1,100 + shipping, but out of stock, no ETA.  So I went on the Viel site and you can choose CDN$ or US$.  The US$ price was $1,217.21.  OK, that's better.  But I went ahead and paid in CDN$ with PayPal.  PayPal's rate of conversion was better! $1,164.92 + shipping (US$89.73) and supposed to ship this week.  But with Canadian postal, I might not see it until February! ;)
I'm getting a wheel for WM turbo 7's 
There are some wheels on Amazon I'm going to buy if the arbor size is the same.
They are 5" I think they will work.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Cjross73

LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Bruno of NH on December 02, 2021, 04:28:39 PMI'm getting a wheel for WM turbo 7's There are some wheels on Amazon I'm going to buy if the arbor size is the same. They are 5" I think they will work.
My unit was supposed to have shipped last week.  I'm getting one of their wheels that matches the 10° profile (mine are 9's).  They said that WM wheels won't work on their unit.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

boonesyard

Just got word that my sharpener and setter are on the way  8). Looking forward to taking control of our blades in house. I'll have to get started on building a rolling cart for each one. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

tacks Y

Quote from: GARose on November 23, 2021, 08:33:05 PM
https://youtu.be/vzCgy8q5--w
Is this the way all CBN grinders work? What I mean is grinding on the side and not coming down from the top perpendicular.

Stephen1

Tacks Y, yes you want the wheel to drop into the gullet and touch all 3 sides at the same time. Grinding on the way down is not good. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ljohnsaw

The grinder is a Baldor which is a good brand unit.
Bruno,
Just got an email with a tracking number.  My units is going out the door today.  Because of the delays, they left my order with the original $15 shipping the web site defaults to and waved the additional charge of the normal shipping for the unit.  So, I paid C$1,400 + C$15 through PayPal.  My credit card shows the final charge of US$1,177.40.  The BMS 25 from WM had a final charge of $917.38.  I'm thinking this is a major upgrade for only $260!
John Sawicky

Bruno of NH

Mines shipping next week  :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ljohnsaw

My shipping label was actually created back on 12/8.  If finally updated today as being picked up and scheduled to be delivered on 12/23.  Just in time for Christmas!  They are in Canada and I think they are using a boarder town to speed up the shipping.  It shows that it originated in Presque Isle, ME.
John Sawicky

Erik A

Quote from: Bruno of NH on November 23, 2021, 07:46:04 PMThe other reason was it was cbn with a dry set up.
I'm very sensitive to oil now for some reason. I don't know if it's because of all the meds I'm on or what.
I know the wheels won't last as long dry.
I researched dry cbn and there are lots of things it's used 
The oil is a lubricant and also cools the wheel. Water does the same thing although not as good of a lube. Might try as little as a water drip onto a sponge that is touching the wheel. What wears out the wheel is knocking the bits out of the plating or sintering. Consider cutting just a few thousandths and try not to be aggressive when sharpening. That may help the wheel last longer. You can dress diamond wheels, is there enough material to dress a CBN wheel ?? ??

You can use the pink rv antifreeze it has rust inhibitors and I believe it is fairly non toxic.

Erik A

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 13, 2021, 09:57:13 AMMy unit was supposed to have shipped last week.  I'm getting one of their wheels that matches the 10° profile (mine are 9's).  They said that WM wheels won't work on their unit.
I thought you built one?? 

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Erik A on December 16, 2021, 12:44:41 AM
Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 13, 2021, 09:57:13 AMMy unit was supposed to have shipped last week.  I'm getting one of their wheels that matches the 10° profile (mine are 9's).  They said that WM wheels won't work on their unit.
I thought you built one??
I recently rebuilt my dual tooth setter.  I made a sharpener with a grinding stone on a radial arm saw a few years ago.  Worked pretty good (better/faster then the local WM resharp) for the first 100 sharpenings.  The biggest problem with that was I could only put a 3/4" stone on the mandrel when I really needed a 1" stone to make the entire 7/8" profile.  That and the fact that the stone looses its shape pretty quickly and needs to be redressed.  So, I gave up on that and decided to go with a commercial unit.  I thought I'd do the BMS25 (12v setup) for my property but the shipping delays were just too much for me - then this Viel showed up.
John Sawicky

Lostinmn

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 15, 2021, 08:44:45 PM
My shipping label was actually created back on 12/8.  If finally updated today as being picked up and scheduled to be delivered on 12/23.  Just in time for Christmas!  They are in Canada and I think they are using a boarder town to speed up the shipping.  It shows that it originated in Presque Isle, ME.
Really looking forward to a post Christmas hands on review!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 15, 2021, 08:44:45 PMIt shows that it originated in Presque Isle, ME.
Got a UPS status text message Wednesday night that should expect my package from "VIEL TOOLS / GARY'S UPHOLSTERY" on 12/23 in the morning.  I guess Gary has a little side shipping business. ;D
John Sawicky

Southside

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 15, 2021, 08:44:45 PMThey are in Canada and I think they are using a boarder town to speed up the shipping.  It shows that it originated in Presque Isle, ME.

That's quite interesting, Presque Isle is a long, long, way from Montreal, and there would be much larger, easier, places to cross for shipping.  I wonder if they have a domestic company building them.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ljohnsaw

Hmm, or maybe they just have a warehouse there for US shipments?  Take a truck load over once a month or so.
John Sawicky

Southside

Eh, I don't know. I am from there and that makes no sense to me. I would be interested to know what address the ship from is when it shows up. 

@SwampDonkey can you think of any place there that might be doing this? 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

I went ahead and paid in CDN$ with PayPal.  PayPal's rate of conversion was better! $1,164.92 + shipping (US$89.73) and supposed to ship this week.  But with Canadian postal, I might not see it until February! ;)
Have you done this before with Paypal, paying Canadian? Because when I've used them before, paid in US from Canadian dollars, the Visa company then flips it back to Canadian on your Visa bill, so you pay two conversion fees. Then it's like paying 54% on exchange. ::) So I avoid Paypal. Visa is safe anyway, if I don't get my stuff by 6 weeks, they reverse all charges.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Southside on December 17, 2021, 12:40:56 AM
Eh, I don't know. I am from there and that makes no sense to me. I would be interested to know what address the ship from is when it shows up.

@SwampDonkey can you think of any place there that might be doing this?
@Southside I suspect it's a brokerage firm such as Beaver Brokerage or something. It would be more logical to be in Houlton, Me than at Presque Isle. Woodstock NB crossing is on a 4-lane into Houlton, ME and 24 hr. and at the 4-lane down through Maine. 4 lane from Montreal to Woodstock. Maybe the 'upper Canadian' crossings are too congested with all the COVID mess? 

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Southside

That and unless New Brunswick moved troops into Ft Fairfield and Easton, there is no port in Presque Isle.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

US distribution 
Madawaska Maine
That's on my info

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Southside on December 17, 2021, 07:31:33 AM
That and unless New Brunswick moved troops into Ft Fairfield and Easton, there is no port in Presque Isle.  :D
Tracking is pretty flaky at the best of times. I've had stuff shown being shipped across the states when ordered from Canada, all the sudden disappeared from radar for 3 days and then show up in Dieppe, NB and here the next day. And free shipping. :D That was just last spring, ordered from Bed Bath and Beyond out of Canada a whole case of filters, each one cost less than one each here, if you can get them. Because there would be one if your lucky and 30 people after it. :D Same with the solution for the humidifier, it's $6 a bottle from HD and Amazon wants $40 a bottle sometimes, and call it free shipping. What a crock. :D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Bruno of NH on December 17, 2021, 07:48:03 AM
US distribution
Madawaska Maine
That's on my info
There is a border crossing there into Edmundston, NB.

Thank You Sponsors!