iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpener

Started by Bruno of NH, November 22, 2021, 12:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cjross73

Have any of y'all received/tried these out yet? Really interested to hear how they perform 

Chuck 
LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

Ljohnsaw

When I was out shopping on 12/23, I got a text that my package had arrived.  I texted my son to bring it in off the doorstep and he could wrap it for me for Christmas if he wanted.  So he did.  Then by Christmas morning, I started coming down with something.  Got tested for C19 yesterday and awaiting results.  Opened up the package and was a little worried.  

It was packed in a Shop Fox variable speed bench grinder box.  I expected a Viel box since they have so many different tools that they make.  They do sell a lot of Shop Fox tools.  So they are not using the Baldor grinder anymore.  They basically crammed the other parts in there and stuffed it full of paper packing.  One minor cosmetic damage - a ding in the front cover with a little paint loss.  The box came in a 53 pounds.  I know the FedEx guy must not have been happy.  It is very well built.  Once I shake this cold I will set up a work table to mount it on and get it dialed in, I'll get some pictures and maybe a video.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bruno of NH

I didn't get my payment in before they went on Christmas break 
They are back Jan 3rd
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ljohnsaw

Bruno,  The assembly instructions they sent were the same as what is online at their website - in French.  I did Google translate and some cut and paste with my printer and made the attached.  Leaves a little to be desired in the translation but clear enough.

The only thing I don't get is they included 3 extra wheel plates/washers.  Not sure why or what the plan is for them.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bruno of NH

John,
Can you post a picture of the wheel and arbor size
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ljohnsaw

So the grinder shaft looks like it was turned down, not sure if it is factory.  My calipers are down in my shop and it is pouring rain right now so no precise measurements.  The black flange is a close fit on the shaft of about 1/2".  The grind "stone" has a 1.25 hole in it that is an extremely close fit on the flange.  If you look closely, you can see 4 set screws that are used to true up the grind stone once you torque it on to the grinder shaft.  The stone is 4.5" in diameter.

John Sawicky

UncleMoustache

Quote from: boonesyard on November 25, 2021, 07:56:50 AM
Quote from: Crossroads on November 23, 2021, 05:33:30 PM
I just ordered the Woodmizer auto grinder and auto setter.
Crossroads, I ordered a BMS 250 and BMT 250 from Woodmizer on May 28th of this year, still not here.

Quote from: Crossroads on November 25, 2021, 05:10:50 PM
I just ordered the Woodmizer auto grinder and auto setter. I forget the model numbers. My local guy that was doing my sharpening raised his prices and has been struggling to keep up for the last couple months. I figured, if I'm running the carbon steel blades, it would pay for itself in 6-7 months at the new price. The timing wasn't great for spending 5k, but it was time to make the move.
Crossroads, I ordered a BMS 250 and BMT 250 from Woodmizer on May 28th of this year, still not here. The setter is ready, but they can't get the sharpeners. Got an email yesterday said maybe in a couple weeks.
Oh, that's not good news. I believe those are the same ones I ordered and was told 3 months.

Well, you'll have to wait until after mine arrive.  I ordered in June and am still waiting.  I was told mid November a few months ago, and I keep forgetting to call for an update.  Sheesh!  I'm running low on blades!
Josh
-Echo CS-670, CS-620, CS-370, CS-355T, CSS-266
-Stihl MS661, MS200T
-Dolmar 550
-SuperSplit
-Woodmizer LT15 Wide

Crossroads

Quote from: UncleMoustache on December 31, 2021, 06:14:45 PM
I just ordered the Woodmizer auto grinder and auto setter.
Crossroads, I ordered a BMS 250 and BMT 250 from Woodmizer on May 28th of this year, still not here.

Quote from: Crossroads on November 25, 2021, 05:10:50 PM
I just ordered the Woodmizer auto grinder and auto setter. I forget the model numbers. My local guy that was doing my sharpening raised his prices and has been struggling to keep up for the last couple months. I figured, if I'm running the carbon steel blades, it would pay for itself in 6-7 months at the new price. The timing wasn't great for spending 5k, but it was time to make the move.
Crossroads, I ordered a BMS 250 and BMT 250 from Woodmizer on May 28th of this year, still not here. The setter is ready, but they can't get the sharpeners. Got an email yesterday said maybe in a couple weeks.
Oh, that's not good news. I believe those are the same ones I ordered and was told 3 months.

Well, you'll have to wait until after mine arrive.  I ordered in June and am still waiting.  I was told mid November a few months ago, and I keep forgetting to call for an update.  Sheesh!  I'm running low on blades!
Although I would like to be learning to run it right now, I'm sitting okay on blades right now. Considering my mill is under 4' of snow 🙈
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

jimbarry

If its worth anything, try using ALL-IN-ONE PACKAGE TRACKING | 17TRACK to see about tracking the shipment. I tell our US customers to use it instead of relying on CanPost.

UncleMoustache

Finally!!

My sharpener and setter are finally on the way.  Got lots of blades to sharpen.  Need to clear some space somewhere where I can get this done.
Josh
-Echo CS-670, CS-620, CS-370, CS-355T, CSS-266
-Stihl MS661, MS200T
-Dolmar 550
-SuperSplit
-Woodmizer LT15 Wide

Ljohnsaw

Today I mounted up my Viel to a little table I threw together.  I ended up making some 3/4" shims to put under it to lift it so the adjustment wheel for pulling the grinder forward clears the table top.  Otherwise, the whole unit has to sit another couple inches forward making the table too front heavy.  I might mount my setter on the back side to counter balance it a bit.  I have a 2 foot piece of blade that I used for making my setter and I ran that though to see how it works.  Pretty impressed.  Very quiet.  The grinder is nearly silent running.  Hope to get on it in the next few days to process some blades.  With my V2.0 dual tooth setter and this sharpener, I should be flying through my pile.  Probably have a good 40 blades to process?
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Preliminary review:

I've put 15 blade through it and here is the good, the bad and the ugly ;)  I'll start with the "bad", the worst first.  

Using it, turning the handle clockwise, I was about halfway through the second band and it started to get tough to turn - something binding up.  So I reversed the cranking and it freed right up and I finished the band.  I kept sharpening and at the very last tooth of the 4th band, the cranking got suddenly loose and the "platen" holding the blades dropped.  The crank was now disconnected internally.

Took the handle off and opened it up.  There is a short crank on the other end of the main, external crank.  That has a connecting rod (plate) down to the bottom where it attaches to a lever that raises and lowers the platen.  The connecting rod has a ball bearing at each end and is attached with a short Allen head bolt.  When turning clockwise, the top one loosened up and rubbed on the back of the cabinet causing the binding.  Turning counter clockwise ran the bottom bolt completely out of its threads.  Solution: de-greased the threads and added blue Locktite.

"Platen" in down position.

Next up, loading/unloading blades.  Once you get the grinder set to the proper distance, it is really tight to get the blade in/out.  You cannot do it at the bottom of the stroke.  You have to hold the handle up with your belly while you twist and turn the blade to get it to drop in place.  You really don't want to move the grinder for each blade!  Solution: The mechanism the holds and advances the blades is bolted to the grinder base and has some elongated holes. (I just remembered that)  The lower pivot bolt sticks out the back.  I installed it all the way down to clear the edge of my table top.  Looks like I'll have to notch the top so I can raise the front piece up.  Then I can more easily get the blade in with that 3/8" difference.

Next, the main crank handle.

It is a rather small diameter Aluminum handle.  First, it is uncomfortable as you crank it around 210 times.  Second, it makes your skin turn black from the Aluminum.  Solution: Short term I will paste wax it but I plan to turn a new handle out of some hardwood or UHMW.  Something bigger than a golf ball.

As noted above, the instructions are in French and Google Translate kind of got it.  But, between Google and Canadian Speak, its a little confusing.  Have to figure it out.  There is a super magnet under the Teflon sheet under the bade.  It sort of holds the blade in position after it advances.  My blade profile is a bit messed up from my radial arm/grinder sharpener and it does not match this wheel perfectly.  Actually, my blades are WM 9° (but more like 7°) and the closest wheel they had was 10°.  So, for now, it hits the face of the tooth and bumps it to the left a tad.  After a few sharpening, I think that will be a non-issue when the back side of the tooth (full profile) is ground at the same time.  But for now, I found its better to run the blades around twice then to try and get the face cut on the first pass.

Last "problem" is the diamond wheel is pretty rough - like 40 grit.  After a couple blades, either because I was taking off too much (gently) or they just wear this way, now it is like 120 grit and gives a much better grind.  I did not have to true up the wheel (set screws behind the wheel).  It was running with no measurable runout.  However, up against the blade, it is out probably 0.0001?  With power off, enough that one spot will hang on the blade while the rest of the wheel will spin by with the faintest of a gap, if that makes sense.

So, now the "good":

They shipped my unit with a ShopFox grinder.  That thing purrs!  It is so quiet.  It is variable speed and if I turn it all the way up, it does set up a resonate vibration.  So I run it at about 85%?

It is really well made (other than noted above) and operates smoothly and tight - no loose movements.  It is very heavy.

And the "ugly":

In the second picture above, the handle is blocking where there is a pretty good ding in the cover (with scratched off paint) that happened in shipping.  You can see the Viel plate is bowed a little from that hit.  Based on how heavy this box was and how far it shipped (3,400 miles?), it arrived in decent shape!

So build quality, I'd say 98% (needs Locktite).  Operation, 100%.  Instructions, 90%.  Google Translate just doesn't cut it.  After using it, the instructions kind of make sense now. ;)
John Sawicky

farmfromkansas

Let us know how many blades that diamond wheel sharpens before it gives up.  Be interesting.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Crossroads

Called WM the other day to get an update on my grinder and setter that I was originally told I should have by early January. Portland WM say they have guys waiting that ordered in March and April. I guess I'm going to have to be patient since I ordered in September. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Cjross73

That's terrible,  I called early last week just to get an approximate wait time for a bms250 and I'm still waiting for that answer....
LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

jimbarry

Quote from: Crossroads on January 29, 2022, 01:37:11 PM
Called WM the other day to get an update on my grinder and setter that I was originally told I should have by early January. Portland WM say they have guys waiting that ordered in March and April. I guess I'm going to have to be patient since I ordered in September.
I put a deposit on a second BMS250MU in June 2021. Still waiting for it to arrive. They said January. So let's see what Feb brings.

Durf700

I almost didn't take my sharpener and setter when they came in about 19 months ago because I didn't have the time to drive out and pick it up..  they said they would happily give it to the next person and then offer me the next ones..  thankfully I was able to get out and pick them up.  it was a few month wait back then..  I sure am glad I got them when I did. 

the cbn wheels I ordered for backups came in about 6 weeks after I ordered them this past fall.  so keep that in mind also.  don't wait to get things ordered that you may need...  could really be a problem for guys that have a business.

boonesyard

Quote from: Crossroads on January 29, 2022, 01:37:11 PM
BMS250/BMT250
Ordered May 28th, 2021.
Delivered January 6th, 2022.
When I talked with the salesman, he said the issue was the sharpeners, the setters are (or were) ready in about half that time. When I talked to him in November, there were still 56 orders in front of mine. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Ljohnsaw

I took these picture a couple weeks back after I finished sharpening.  I move my de-setter and setter to the back side of the sharpener table.  Now it's not so tipsy/off balance.

John Sawicky

Chuck White

I don't know much about the sharpener, but I do like the looks of your desetter, John!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ljohnsaw

That's a pair of rollers from my Tundra timing belt service.  The knob turn some threaded rod that pushes on the arm where a hydraulic "spring" was pushing when it was on the engine.
John Sawicky

Chuck White

The desetter saves a lot of time when it comes to setting and sharpening bandsaw blades!

I've had quite a few people wanting to buy mine, but Not For Sale!

I kept it, the setter and the sharpener when I sold the mill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

firefighter ontheside

I talked to the guy at Viel on the phone.  A little difficult since I don't speak French.  I was going to place the order, but he wanted to take my name and number and call me when they are ready to ship me one.  He said at that time he will figure out what wheel or wheels I need based on what blades I am using.  It sounds like the same wheel can be use for different angle blades by changing the angle of the grinder.  I think.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on February 19, 2022, 07:57:56 AMIt sounds like the same wheel can be use for different angle blades by changing the angle of the grinder. I think.
No, there is no way to change the position of the grinder.  I will be off-line a couple days but will get a picture of how *I think* you adjust the angle that I described above.
John Sawicky

firefighter ontheside

Thanks @ljohnsaw Again it was difficult to understand what he was saying about it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!