iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One pass or two

Started by Quebecnewf, July 11, 2022, 06:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Now that I am getting my auto Dinasaw sharpener dialed in sort of , I have a question

Is it better to do two passes or just one ? 

Quebecnewf 
M

ladylake

I do 1 pass on 99% of my blades/  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Gere Flewelling

I have a Cat Claw sharpener and use a blue stone/rock.  I do two passes usually with the first focusing on a light - medium  grind of the face and gullet and then a light touch of the back with the second.  This is how Cook's recommended sharpening in their video.  Have had good success so far.  I am not familiar with your sharpener, but if it uses a stone /rock to sharpen it might be similar.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

YellowHammer

The results will will tell you, look at the results on the teeth and gullet...are the teeth corners sharp and fully formed?  Are the blades getting too hot and burning?  Are the gullets fully ground and profiled?  Is the rock cam fully contacting the roller during the full cut or is it floating because it can't cut fast enough?  Is the pressure on the rock causing it to wear too fats prematurely chainging the profile?

Certainly, one deep pass will save time if the blade likes it.  I could never get it quite right with my old Cooks on one pass, two were best.  On my Woodmizer, one pass is fine.  On a badly worn blade, I may have to take two.  Remember that sharpening takes time, but if the band is "right" when it comes off the sharpener, then it saves time on the mill and cuts laser flat.

I guess what I'm saying is do as many or few passes as it takes, to get it right.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!