iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are small defective logs worth it? Here is how I do it.

Started by richhiway, December 05, 2021, 09:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

align the Crack horizontally 

slab the log then flip 180

now you have parallel sides flip 90 and make sure it is squared 

take the best boards off the cant working around the defects

about 30 board feet of decent maple for small projects. Better then firewood. Probably worth it for your own use. Remember quality logs kake quality lumber!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

WV Sawmiller

Rich,

Sounds similar to what I try to do. I get the good/useable boards above and below a big crack like that as best you can. I have even cut the bad part up for stickers but that is erratic at times.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

I love big solid logs, but you only need so much firewood.  I make a lot of small projects from maple especially.  

walnut, ERC and maple coasters.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Sixacresand

the cracked, twisted, crooked logs produce unique figure and shapes.  Not much building lumber, but the craft folks love them.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!