Simple winch setup.

Started by SETexan, December 08, 2021, 04:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SETexan

I posted on my other thread but thought someone here might not see it. I figured I'd try this setup and it worked great. I have to finalize the wiring but I think it's gonna be good. The winch is only 2000lb. Pull from harbor freight I got free, it's mounted 20 degrees down and the tubing which I already had is 1/8" wall. The ramps are 5"x5" white oak. The log is 10'-6" and 22" on the small end. 

HM130MAX on home built trailer
L3940 Kubota

rusticretreater

Nice. I am making the same setup.  I suggest the next thing to do is make a Y with two cables to provide a more stable way to pull the log up the ramp.  A unbalanced log will jump off those ramps otherwise.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Ljohnsaw

Sweet!  It looks like you slipped that over your log back stop?  Aren't you worried about bending that?  I would be!  Its nice how high your cable is but it doesn't need to be.  It just adds to the forces on your back stop. 

I would cut down your post so the cable just clears the far rail when going over the log at the bottom of the ramps.  That would reduce the bending moment on the back stop by 1/2 to 2/3.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.