OEM or Aftermarket Chain?

Started by GaTrapper, January 25, 2022, 01:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaTrapper

Picked up a new Stihl branded chain at the dealer 10 days ago. Seemed to be around $35.  

I saw Oregon and other aftermarket chains online for $15-$25.

What are y'all running on your saws? Is there a major difference between OEM chain and aftermarket? 

HemlockKing

I run stihl chains, I believe it to be made up of better quality steel and hold edges better. Make sure you aren't getting a semi chisel chain  :) they can be a waste of time
A1

lxskllr

Another vote for Stihl chain, but I wouldn't pay $35 a loop, aside from maybe keeping it for "special" cutting. My dealer is reasonable on reel prices, and I scored a couple 100' reels from Ebay for about what Chinese chain costs. I like Carlton also, and it's very reasonable. That's my second choice after Stihl. You can get that from Baileys under their WoodlandPro label.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

I run Stihls chains on my Huskys.  ;D
They cost me about $23, but they seem to keep an edge better than the oregons I use to run. I buy 4-5 at a time. I use their yellow chain. I always have to order it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GaTrapper

Do you order them online?  I've been using the 33 RS (3623 005 0072). 

barbender

Stihl definitely holds an edge better.
Too many irons in the fire

421Altered

I don't think Stihl sells online, walk-in at a dealer only.

GaTrapper

Does $35 sound right for a 3623 005 0072 chain?

lxskllr

$35 is probably list price. My old dealer sold everything at list. My new dealer is much better. You might want to stop in a few Stihl shops, and see if any of them sell below list.

Skeans1

Oregon over Stihl it allows me to more easily adjust the angles on my grinds as needed, it's more affordable as well.

thecfarm

No online, just a dealer, depends which direction I am going in. This is from 2 different dealers.
I only have this box inside, this is for my small saw, 25RS  3638 005 0072, this is for an 18 inch bar.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Greenhighlander

Stihl has always held an edge longer for me.  I bought 2 18" replacement chains last year and it cost me $100. That being said I do really like Husky xcut chains also at roughly $30 a pop. They hold up really well and have a long life. In fact I have a hard time finding a reason they aren't as good as Stihl.   

I have tried a few different oregon chains over the years and have found them to be my least favorite by far.   

stavebuyer

My dealer offers a huge discount on 10 or more chains. They box them up from loops. The last I bought were $180 for 10 but that was January 21 and I bought 10 each of 18" for the 261 and 20" for my 362. May be triple by that now  ::) ::). I have been filing em down to nubs avoiding the re-stocking shock lol. 

Tom King

I like Stihl, and Oregon 72EXL.

sawguy21

Oregon is the worlds largest producer of bars and chain for very good reason. Reasonably priced, a product to fit every need and readily available. Stihl is harder, holds an edge better, less prone to stretch but is generally more expensive and only available to walk in trade. It depends if you use enough to justify the extra cost. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

hedgerow

I think Stihl has good chain. I just have just never thought it was worth the money. No dealers in my area offer any discounts. I have ran a lot of the Woodland pro{ Carlton} and been happy with it. They use to run some big sales on it not so much any more. I have Oregon on my big saw with the 36 inch bar and have been happy with it.