iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weatherproof Storage Box

Started by kantuckid, July 30, 2022, 09:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

Tell me about a relatively inexpensive, large outdoor storage box? I'm not a FT builder but need a large affordable box for tools and materials. All I find are pricey and built with professional jobsite, secure weatherproof storage in mind. I don't need security, but I do need size and affordable. The plastic ones I'm seeing are flimsy or not weatherproof. Outdoor deck & pool storage boxes are not weatherproof that I see for sale.  
Honestly, I've looked at many, yet found not one that is large enough & affordable. 
Ideas? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

btulloh

A small cargo trailer would work well. A larger cargo trailer would be even better. Put some shelves in it, your compressor, generator etc. Maybe have to spend a little more, but it would be worth a lot more to you. 
HM126

beenthere

Quoteyet found not one that is large enough & affordable.

Give us the answer as to what is large enough and what is affordable. We don't have the answer for you.  ;) ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kantuckid

I don't need a trailer!  And neither do I have room for a trailer at my build site. Thats why I used the word BOX as the topic.  ;D
 I cover my generator and compressor with a tarp at my remote build site.
I may just use another tarp as some things just don't fit in any box that are unhandy to tote back and forth. 

The closest I've found is the Lowe's Craftsman 37" w/wheels at $99. I'm already using the same but next smaller box for tools now. 

SwampDonkey

Uline has some storage sheds that are weather and UF proof. Can be locked. US$355 for a horizontal one 53 x 33 x 46"  Shipped motor freight.

ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies

A $100 isn't going to get ya much. :D

Rubbermaid or Suncast are other brands. USA made.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

You're in KY and there isn't a dead car around, who's leg are you pulling :D
 I just drug a Yukon home for a Yukarado project  ;D

kantuckid

Chinese have cleaned up the dead cars mostly, except for a few diehards. There's an "enclave" about 2 miles past me that's embarrassing to drive by their acreage. Seriously! In the winter it reminds you of the moon with a few scraggly trees. They moved a few years back and thankfully their former location has grown over. Their careers are focused on their mailboxes. They have a few dead cars which maybe is their savings account.

The Lowe's 37" box is 37x23x23 and with vet discount that's $90 and tax.
You can call it not much for the money but I'll say its what works best unless I hear something else. Far more robust than Rubbermaid or typical storage boxes. I have several of those left from clearing out my MIL's home-she had them full of pieced quilts. 
It will hold a couple more tools not already in my next size smaller tool box. I'm gonna put the rest on a pallet with a tarp.
No sheds or dead cars or contractor trailers.

If it rains past the nest two rains come early next week I may hang it up. Between the coons eating most of our corn and rains day after day after day- whew! We are not in the flood areas which are the counties after the next ones south of ours.

doc henderson

do you want a box like a chest, or a shed?  is this for garden tools or construction tools?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Yes, if that is what you're after, most of the box stores carry one similar and same price. I'm seeing the same prices online without a discount. That the Craftsman one with wheels and handle?

Was thinking something with some room because it wouldn't take long for me to fill a box. And end up being a heap of stuff on top of one another, and I want what is on the bottom every time.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

OK, I admit the original post was weak.  ;D 
FWIW, I was writing it while on hold/speaker phone and forever while talking to an Amazon rep in the Philippines and wrote that post poorly.

The box is for build site tools. I like the larger Craftsman box with the pull out handle with a $99 price point. I already use the size smaller Craftsman tool box and they are not only waterproof, but they are also sturdy, top latches tightly and mobile. The Dewalt DST38000 box is an OK version but cost me more and lacks the dimensions the Craftsman one has-same for HD's versio which is close to the Craftsman one but costs more with similar price & size, plus I'm further from a HD and get no discounts there. 
 My $75 Craftsman version (it cost $65 when I bought it minus 10% vet discount) is jammed up such that you have to remove too much to get at something. I'm NOT a FT builder and my tools are stored normally in a dedicated shop and storage barn. I don't need another building or a trailer nor a $250-500 storage box as the pros use on job sites.
Today we fetch/meet-up for 3 granddaughters to stay with us and I'll pick one up nearby Lowe's. 

In the beginning I had in mind a cheaper storage box that was waterproof and seems they are all mostly flimsy. Even outdoor deck boxes some come with a plastic bag to protect stuff from moisture-not a great idea with expensive tools.  

Stephen1

I have the dewalt tool boxs, 
DWST08204
 One has a pull out handle with wheels like a hand cart. The other one clips on top so you have 2 good size boxes that you can pull around like a 2 wheel hand cart. They have 2 good sturdy lifting handles on each side. Mine have to be waterproof as they are stored in the pickup truck bed. I have one for hand tools and the other holds my drill, driver, sawsall, skillsaw, batteries, rill bits, screw bits. I keep them in my truck as I need tools on portable sawmill jobs, or I'm at my shop or at my new home build. 
I have had them for 8 years now. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

kantuckid

I looked as recently as yesterday in A Rural King store at DeWalt, Stanley and Milwaukee boxes like you describe. I see their utility for your purpose.
But, for my purpose I'll stick with the Craftsman box I talked about as my choice. I'm not needing to carry tools back and forth or in my truck as you're doing-I'm trying to store them at the one and only build site I'll ever have again in my senior life. 

Craftsman toolbox: CMST37025, 37" wide x 23" deep x 23" height for Lowe's price $99.98 minus 10%. 
The smaller one I have already is strong structural plastic like the Dewalts and others. I did alter my smaller Craftsman by drilling a strategic hole so the handle stays out not trying to "hide itself" when you grab it. 
My smaller one is: CMST24800, 29" wide x 17" deep x 20" height for Lowe's price $75. 98 minus 10%.
FWIW, Lowe's sells Kobalt & Craftsmans boxes much the same as the DeWalt's and others, so similar they may come from the same plastic molds or factory? More about sources available and price points for them than brand names really.

I leave the tray out of the smaller one so the tools can pile up. After I buy the big one I may put that tray back for my chisels, pencils and such. I'd already have it from yesterday's trip but my grandaughters luggage took all my SUV space as it's raining like always here... ::)

firefighter ontheside

I bought a used greenlee office job box thing.  It is not weather tight per se but it keeps everything inside dry.  I keep lots of my sawmill stuff in there like blades, parts, tools, chainsaw, and other supplies.  I think I paid $700 for it.  Works well for what I need.  I see used regular job boxes for around $200.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

metalspinner

What about aluminum truck tool boxes? I see those on sale all the time. And even used ones in CL. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

kantuckid

I did search for a used job box but found none that made sense for me. Their sheer size is also problematic at a tight build site. I park my current roll around tool box under the cabin floor when not open. Theft is an open season up there as a walk-in trespasser is the only concern and most mammals up there have 4 legs.    
Consider that I have the cabin floor against the base of a ridge, then two stacks of wall logs-short & long, then the need to pull my hay wagon/log trailer through the site and have room to unload & stack logs, not to mention the woods on the other 3 sides while tractor moves wall logs.  $700 is well beyond me simply using a tarp over a pallet which is being done. 
They are building a new mega car wash in our shopping town, called Southern Shine. I drive by often and see job boxes like they're on display over a long install event. Some are full of tools, others with drawers of plumbing & electrical parts, etc... They also have lots more space than me, besides the money thing. 
Tool truck boxes are not mobile away from a truck. But lots of used ones around. I think the plastic tool boxes have taken some of that business.
My sawmill tool storage is a shallow wooden tray fastened to the battery box top.  :D
On a personal note, my cabin is competing for our Kawasaki mule as tomatoes try to rule the day here along with 3 granddaughters.
 It's a 5-8 minute ride up there from my pasture, so walking is illogical.  

Thank You Sponsors!