iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Finish?

Started by Hemlock121, August 17, 2022, 12:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemlock121

Hi, 

Last night, I just watched a video of a timber frame shed/woodshed construction and the builder used a finish made out of Linseed Oil and D-Limonene.  Ive never heard of that finish.  When I build my garden woodshed, I was planning to finish the wood with Linseed Oil and Turpentine. 

What is the benefit of this finish and what is D-Limonene?  Is D-Limonene an online item or can it be sourced locally?

Thanks

Don P

Google Fu  :D

Limonene is a colorless liquid aliphatic hydrocarbon classified as a cyclic monoterpene, and is the major component in the oil of citrus fruit peels. 

sounds like lightweight Heritage oil, add some pine tar  ;D

GRadice

Yes, d-limonene is sometimes called citrus solvent because it is derived from and smells somewhat like the peels of oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruits.

It is less toxic to breathe than turpentine. Not a big deal if you are using either solvent to cleaning a paint brush or two but it might be if you are finishing a whole timber frame structure and you will be breathing it all day for several days. 

And also yes, Heritage Natural Finishes makes and sells a linseed oil finish with a citrus solvent, with or without mildew blockers or UV absorbers. (Disclaimer: I happen to know the owner of HNF since she lives in my home town and supports local woodworkers and timber framers).
Gary

kantuckid

Much depends on if your projects in Canada or AZ finish wise. ;D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Hemlock121

All of my projects will be in the woods of Ontario, Canada...

Thank You Sponsors!