iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2022 fall deer

Started by beenthere, November 13, 2022, 03:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

There are many bucks showing up on the trail cameras this year.  Hunting pressure the past few years is down so expect seeing more larger bucks is a result of them getting to grow older.

This flat 8pt showed on a trail camera (have only seen it once) that has short tines.

Son was successful getting a wide 8pt on his first night in a stand. Field dressed at 190lbs

Have three in the freezer so far this fall.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

The one your son got has a nice looking rack.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Nice score. Haven't seen a buck this fall, just 4 does up towards the woodlot. But there are 5 moose around, one a bull. Hasn't been any activity around the licking stick this fall.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

So far I am seeing more bucks, mostly young but several pretty decent ones than does and fawns (Our fawns have all lost their spots and are legal antlerless deer during the appropriate seasons.) I bet I am seeing 5:1 bucks to does where normally it would be 10:1 does to bucks. Now if I could just kill one with my bow. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Walnut Beast

Just a little guy looking for a selfie 

Ron Scott

~Ron

Magicman

Grandson had this buck on camera several times and had also seen him but could not get a shot.  This morning everything worked out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Congrats. Very nice buck.

Gun season over here, with as best as I can tell, no deer taken within a mile (according to neighbors, lack of gun shots, and no deer moving on the trail cams during the daytime). 

This buck caught on cam and expect will grow more for next year. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Nice one, Lynn!

I see your grandson hunts with an Encore.   thumbs-up
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

JD Guy

Quote from: Magicman on December 17, 2022, 11:37:43 AM

Grandson had this buck on camera several times and had also seen him but could not get a shot.  This morning everything worked out.
Congratulations to your grandson! That's got to be a pretty good sized buck for MS, yes?

Magicman

He sent me another picture.

JD Guy, we are selective about what we shoot.  The little guys walk.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

That is a beautiful buck! 
Too many irons in the fire

JD Guy

Quote from: Magicman on December 17, 2022, 04:39:32 PM

He sent me another picture.

JD Guy, we are selective about what we shoot.  The little guys walk.
Yes, We are too on our property. Problem is with those who are around us  :rifle:

newoodguy78

What would a buck like that weigh field dressed in your area?
Beautiful animal for sure, congratulations to your grandson.

Magicman

Quote from: JD Guy on December 18, 2022, 11:43:49 AMProblem is with those who are around u
No matter about the surrounding landowners/hunters around me.  If I shoot him he is dead whereas if I don't shoot him he just might live.  Gotta take the chance.

In my area the antler restrictions are:  The Inside spread must be at least 10 inches, and the main beam must be at least 13 inches.

Bucks here generally field dress about 120-125 lbs.  The heaviest that we have ever weighed field dressed was 180 lbs, which was huge.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Magicman on December 18, 2022, 02:19:09 PM
Quote from: JD Guy on December 18, 2022, 11:43:49 AMProblem is with those who are around u
No matter about the surrounding landowners/hunters around me.  If I shoot him he is dead whereas if I don't shoot him he just might live.  Gotta take the chance.

In my area the antler restrictions are:  The Inside spread must be at least 10 inches, and the main beam must be at least 13 inches.

Bucks here generally field dress about 120-125 lbs.  The heaviest that we have ever weighed field dressed was 180 lbs, which was huge.
JD guy I feel for you! It makes a guy furious!! Here is a example of a resident buck I had posted that I didn't get real excited about because of his one side. So I didn't get out and bow hunt before rifle season. This resident buck had 700+ acres around of no hunting. But when they have the rifle season during the rut sometimes the bucks travel! And that was the risk! He went by my camera opening morning during rifle season and the neighbor had him on camera in the middle of the week but he must have traveled into the next section. But on a high note! Magicman is right!! Managing does pay off from the beautiful picture he posted!! I can verify that!! I've got 30+ mounts all from my place to prove management works and could have had 5 more monsters if I would have been rifle hunting.  Next year he would have been a good one!

barbender

WB if you don't get real excited about a buck like that, you've been spoiled😊
Too many irons in the fire

JD Guy

Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 18, 2022, 10:58:15 PM
Quote from: Magicman on December 18, 2022, 02:19:09 PM
No matter about the surrounding landowners/hunters around me.  If I shoot him he is dead whereas if I don't shoot him he just might live.  Gotta take the chance.

In my area the antler restrictions are:  The Inside spread must be at least 10 inches, and the main beam must be at least 13 inches.

Bucks here generally field dress about 120-125 lbs.  The heaviest that we have ever weighed field dressed was 180 lbs, which was huge.
JD guy I feel for you! It makes a guy furious!! Here is a example of a resident buck I had posted that I didn't get real excited about because of his one side. So I didn't get out and bow hunt before rifle season. This resident buck had 700+ acres around of no hunting. But when they have the rifle season during the rut sometimes the bucks travel! And that was the risk! He went by my camera opening morning during rifle season and the neighbor had him on camera in the middle of the week but he must have traveled into the next section. But on a high note! Magicman is right!! Managing does pay off from the beautiful picture he posted!! I can verify that!! I've got 30+ mounts all from my place to prove management works and could have had 5 more monsters if I would have been rifle hunting.  Next year he would have been a good one!

Yes, it's very frustrating! I didn't mean to imply that we take small bucks, because we don't. The adjoining landowners and those that they allow to hunt however are not very discriminating and with that mentality we don't see near the number of larger bucks that we are used to. Personally, I am more of a meat hunter now in my more advanced years, so killing bucks no longer interests me. I do like for my sons and grandkids to have the opportunity to take the occasional buck however and that's why we significantly limit by size and quantity the last several years.
We have a lot of deer in our state and in recent years they have now allowed baiting in our counties in the upper part of the state. We don't bait but do put in food plots (merely semantics? maybe). With the legal ability to pour out piles of corn the lazy and those unwilling to put in any efforts to pattern or learn the land can just climb up in a stand, blast away and go to their cocktail parties and brag on their prowess as a hunter. Really chaps me but I'm older and old fashioned   ::) ::)

Magicman

I understand.  The last buck that I shot was in 2018, but I still love to go and watch/see them.

There is a hunting club/camp 3 miles from us that has several Louisiana members.  They pay club dues plus non-resident license so they feel justified in filling all of their tags with whatever is legal.  No argument from me, I'm just glad that they are 3 miles away.

I have ~180 acres that I consider a sanctuary meaning that no one is allowed to enter or hunt there.  Whether the deer know the difference, I have no idea.  ::)

Walnut Beast

Just do everything you can to keep them in your sanctuary! But when people know you only hunt big bucks everybody hunts the perimeters and always know where the big ones are. Like the neighbors brother said to him. If it wasn't for me letting them get big and also bow hunting he wouldn't have the big ones that he has.  I told him if we want some 200 inch deer stop rifle hunting!! That kinda stuff gets me really heated. Ready to brawl!!! If someone tries sneaking on. He knows better than to play with me and tells others you better not!! 

beenthere

Wild deer are not "our" deer, the way I look at it. 
south central Wisconsin

Walnut Beast

They most certainly are when you harvest one 😂

YellowHammer

T

The winter storm is coming the deer are eating hard.  Only the brave ones come into the backyard, but the second form the right is a nice buck.  We had 14 deer out at this time, 4 were bucks.

Here are a few more out of our other window.

The deer are safe here, unless they are 10 point or better.  The neighbors shoot everything that moves and complain they never see any deer.  The deer have patterned them.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Walnut Beast

Very nice! They know where they are safe.  They will love all the trail openings you are making! No different than a person the paths of least resistance they will be more than happy to use

Thank You Sponsors!