Sponsors:

2022 fall deer

Started by beenthere, November 13, 2022, 03:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Walnut Beast

Mississippi Buck number 140

He caught the attention of researchers the following spring when he traveled 18 miles into Louisiana and swam roughly a mile across the Mississippi River along the way.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/outdoors/2022/12/20/hunter-bags-buck-no-140-deer-crosses-mississippi-river/69740059007/

JD Guy

Thank You for sharing that, it's a great story and also to know that the wildlife $ that are spent are giving back some valuable data!

WV Sawmiller

I had read that and was amazed that the deer would swim the Mississippi River especially multiple times. I have seen our local deer, including a spotted fawn, swim our COE lake where it is at least 1/4 mile wide but it is a calm lake and no current and I am sure the river was much wider than that where this buck crossed. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ricker

My kind of hunting thread.  We let them grow and it sure is frustrating letting that almost there buck or even multiple 1.5 year old bucks walk only to be taken by the neighbors down the road.  
We have the young kids shoot some does so they have some success and will catch the hunting bug for a lifetime.  But even then only does with no fawns with them.  
As I get older I enjoy watching them just as much as harvesting them.

JD Guy

Yes, while I have have harvested many deer in my lifetime I now build the food plots and such for the grandkids to hunt. I don't have a problem taking deer but enjoy their success much more than my own these days. Plus I get some venison so it's a win win!

YellowHammer

This morning we wake up to find that a doe has decided it's safer to hop the fence and eat and sleep in our backyard than be chased by the "guys" prowling outside the yard.  You can see her bedded down in the back corner inside the fence and two decent bucks trying to convince her to come out and be sociable.  Nope, she was not interested.  The bucks were pacing up and down the fence and were nice ones, an 8 and a 10.  However, they just couldn't bring themselves to hop the fence so she stayed for a couple hours and had a peaceful breakfast.

Remember our property is bordered by lots of hunters who have told me their deer have gone nocturnal.  No, the deer just have patterned them, left their shooting gallery and come to our backyard, literally.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

Robert,

Can I borrow your pet doe as a decoy? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Quote from: JD Guy on December 28, 2022, 10:16:28 AMYes, while I have have harvested many deer in my lifetime I now build the food plots and such for the grandkids to hunt.
I understand.  I have 3 grandsons hunting at the Cabin now and they will probably be there until the rain this weekend.  

Hopefully PatD and I can go next week and I can get some chores and wood splitting done.  Sawmilling is coming soon.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

You know that fenced deer isn't considered fair chase hunting.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Sure sounds a lot easier than dragging one out of the woods especially in terrain like we have here. :D
Howard Green

JD Guy

Quote from: Magicman on December 28, 2022, 05:22:25 PM
Quote from: JD Guy on December 28, 2022, 10:16:28 AMYes, while I have have harvested many deer in my lifetime I now build the food plots and such for the grandkids to hunt.
I understand.  I have 3 grandsons hunting at the Cabin now and they will probably be there until the rain this weekend.  

Hopefully PatD and I can go next week and I can get some chores and wood splitting done.  Sawmilling is coming soon.   ::)
Well, as luck would have it oldest grandson took a nice 8pt at his dad's place this afternoon. He's done with deer uniting now and going to chase ducks for a while yet :D. Magicman, getting older has its benefits too, doesn't it?  :new_year:

YellowHammer

The other day I saw a young buck open the gate for an old doe to let her in.  What was even more amazing is that he shut the gate when they left.  Very polite. 

It won't be long and they will be drinking from the dog bowl.   
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Walnut Beast

Sure YH rub it in 😂. We are all out there chasing deer around and you basically have them invited for breakfast! Really!! Very nice! 

Peter Drouin

They know when they're safe, I have them around the mill all the time.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

This is one of the reasons you can tell our property line for all the neighbors deer stands put on it.

Make no mistake, I am a trophy deer hunter and manage the farm for it, but I'm not shooting one from my Laz-e-boy.    

Used to be I planted green fields on the edges of our property and I got tired of the fence hunters, so I moved all the green fields into the interior of the property.  We have several natural springs, lots of super thick bedding areas, and lots of food.  If the deer step across the property line, they get whacked by all the neighbors.  If they stay in our property line, they are safe, except for the occasional 10 pointer or 12 pointer I'll take.  The second largest Alabama deer on record was taken by a logging buddy of mine, only a few miles away, on the grounds of the Huntsville Executive Airport.  22 point monster, it made all the magazines.  However, if the deer come to the house and watch TV with me, then even the 10 pointers are safe, like the one in the picture.

If you didn't see the pics of these deer you wouldn't believe it, but years ago we had a massive 10 or 12 pointer that had gotten so educated he would purposely come out of the woods near me or my neighbors house.  I remember once when I saw him eating the grass by the neighbors garbage can.  We all talked about it and nobody would shoot him or they would get ridiculed by the rest of us.  One day I was going to work and right amongst my neighbors highly decorated yard ornaments, there he was, bedded down, right in the front yard.  Guess which lawn ornaments he was with?  Santa and the reindeer, of course. That buck survived the season because I saw him after hunting season was over, before he shed his horns.  

YellowHammerisms:

thecfarm

yellowhammer, nice pictures and stories!!
I don't hunt, nothing against it. The kids and grandkids hunt on my land.
No big atlered bucks here. Maybe a good size buck or two. Grandson and kids enjoy setting cameras up and seeing what is on The Farm.
I feed the deer in the winter months and they enjoy the sheds to match up with the bucks on camera.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Walnut Beast

Last view from the stand for the year. Empty handed and the arrow never left the tree. That's part of the game going after big bucks. Could have shot several does and a few good bucks. Glad I could help conservation by buying two permits and not filling them. One is still good for late season doe though. The bonuses of not shooting a good buck or big one is that they have a chance of turning into monsters!!! The guy down the road miles away will maybe get or have a chance at a monster or a buck of a lifetime to them! The Social structure of the mature deer and genetics thrive! 

Walnut Beast

Management management. My buddy that said he's never seen as many big deer over the years than from my place. But now since he has moved to Iowa he is getting a taste of his management and a state that makes the right moves to have smaller bucks turn into monsters. His buck earlier this year and the monster 5x6 tonight he arrowed tonight! The buck his 80 year old uncle missed with a arrow. I'm looking forward to finding some big buck land in Iowa! 

Walnut Beast

He will be a good one come next season 

Ron Scott

~Ron

Magicman

Another Grandson got his buck this past weekend.  This was his last opportunity because there is a baby coming within the next couple of weeks.

I was hopeful that we would be able to go the the Cabin this week but there are too many conflicts.  Actually killing a deer was not on our bucket list, but we do like to go. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Congrats on the nice deer and the upcoming great grandbaby.
Howard Green

petefrom bearswamp

Our poorest year here ever.
Fewest deer sightings during gun season.
5 of us that hunt the property, only deer taken were 2 small bucks, 2 does and a button horn.
I saw 4 does opening day and 7 does and fawns the second day of late muzzle loader season.
I shot and missed opening day on one of the does.
had plenty of deer with some nice bucks on camera from September thru til season, then the ground swallowed em up.
Also far less shooting on the surrounding properties one of which is state land.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!