iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting old ain't for the faint of heart.

Started by RetiredTech, March 14, 2023, 04:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetiredTech

After reading OlJarhead's thread I thought I'd share my own current problem. I had to have labs, chest x-ray and an EKG to clear the way for foot surgery to repair a nueroma in my right foot. My primary doctor noticed a change in my EKG from one he did for a neck surgery several years ago. He referred me to a cardiologist before he would sign off on the surgery. He thought I may have had a heart attach and didn't even know it. Finally got to see the cardiologist a few long weeks later and he diagnosed a right bundle branch block. If I  understand it right it's more like a partially fouled spark plug the doesn't fire right than an actual blockage in an artery. He said it doesn't look serious right now but would put me at a higher risk for needing a pace maker. They both OKed the foot surgery, but I have to go back later this month for a stress test and an echo cardiogram. I'm about a week out of foot surgery now and my Mill build is on hold until the swelling in my foot goes down enough for me to walk on it again. I can move around standing on the heel right now and it's getting better, just not as fast as I want. My Dad used to tell me "Getting old ain't for the faint of heart". Now I see what he meant. If I had a car that required this much maintenance I'd junk it!
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

sawguy21

I know what you mean, it sure ain't  for sissies! 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jimbarry

I know what you mean as well. I woke up a couple weeks ago and had almost no hearing left. Prior to that, I was 70% left ear, 50% right ear. Now its 40% left ear and 20% right ear. Waiting to see an ENT.  Then a couple days ago I got test results back from a gov program that checks for blood in stool sample. For guys over 50, they can receive a test kit in the mail from the hospital every 2 years, free of charge. Last two tests clear. This one not. Now I have a date for a colonoscopy.  Oh, and sleep apnea. Not sure what to do about that one as it seems to affect my wife more than me (since she has to hear it/not hear it while I sleep in lala land.)

RetiredTech

Aw man, you just reminded me. When I woke up from the foot surgery the first thing I remember the nurse saying was "You need to get tested for Sleep Apnea. I've been watching you sleep for a while and you stop breathing every few minutes". I haven't done anything with that yet. I guess we have to be thankful for the ailments we don't have.

Walnut Beast

Doesn't have to be that way! There is a reason when I walk into a Planet Fitness I see many older people there. Their doctor probably told them to join a gym. And let me tell you I'm amazed at some of the older guys and gals that are absolutely smokin the cardio machines and killing the weights!! ! I admire all of them at all levels getting after it big time!!! 

RetiredTech

Quote from: jimbarry on March 14, 2023, 06:38:56 PM
I know what you mean as well. I woke up a couple weeks ago and had almost no hearing left. Prior to that, I was 70% left ear, 50% right ear. Now its 40% left ear and 20% right ear. Waiting to see an ENT.  Then a couple days ago I got test results back from a gov program that checks for blood in stool sample. For guys over 50, they can receive a test kit in the mail from the hospital every 2 years, free of charge. Last two tests clear. This one not. Now I have a date for a colonoscopy.  Oh, and sleep apnea. Not sure what to do about that one as it seems to affect my wife more than me (since she has to hear it/not hear it while I sleep in lala land.)
Don't worry too much about the stool sample and colonoscopy. I've had to  have them periodically since my 30's due to bleeding polyps. So far they've all been benign. I think it's inherited. Just something else you have to keep an eye on. Let me know what the ENT says. It doesn't seem right you should loose that much hearing overnight.
@Walnut Beast 
  Thanks for the thoughts, I know you mean well. I've always thought of myself as a healthy guy. I work outside most days weather permitting. Living in the country there's always something that needs to be done. Gardens to tend, grass to cut, fields to clip, firewood to cut, houses and roads to repair. It's a never ending task list and I'm trying to add sawing logs to the list. I need to build a carport, tractor and implement shed, and a sawmill shed after I finish the mill build. Along with various smaller projects like a smoke house and garden shed. The list never ends. Even if I had time to go to a gym the nearest small town is over half an hour away. They have a grocery store, a co-op, a Sonic, severa.l gas stations a used car lot, and not much else. The next larger city is an additional hour away. I'm not one to sit around staring at the walls. I doubt very many in the FF do. 
  I love all that Black walnut you've been cutting. We have a few on the place, but they're not nearly as big as what your cutting. 

barbender

I did a sleep study and was diagnosed with sleep apnea many years back, almost 20 I think. I got setup with a CPAP machine at that point and have used it ever since. Wearing it actually relaxes me, although I know of other people that hate them. Mine doesn't bother me a bit though. I don't know thatvive ever been able to say that I feel more rested for wearing it, but it definitely helps my poor wife sleep. On a practical level I wear it mostly for her, I don't snore at all when wearing it.

If I understand correctly, untreated sleep apnea can also be hard on your heart. Maybe @doc henderson or @doctorb could give us the nitty gritty of the condition rather than me repeating what I thought I heard somewhere, which is probably wrong😊
Too many irons in the fire

Old saw fixer

My wife stayed on me until I went and had a sleep study.  Like @barbender , I like using the CPAP and learned to adjust it.  Lowering the minimum pressure got rid of my morning dry mouth.  My brother hates his CPAP.
My wife finally agreed to getting a sleep study, thank goodness!  She fussed about my snoring but she stops breathing at times plus the snoring.  I took her to the initial consult, she saw the same PA that takes care of me.  She will be able to get the home sleep study equipment in April.  We will go from there.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

RetiredTech

Thanks Guys. I just made an appointment with my Primary Physician for next week to see about getting a referral. I guess I need to try to nip this in the bud if it'll take a little pressure off the old heart.

Walnut Beast

Prayers for you RetiredTech and all others struggling with stressful situations like yours. Hang in there guys!

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

jimbarry

Quote from: doctorb on March 15, 2023, 06:23:14 PM
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/the-dangers-of-uncontrolled-sleep-apnea
The sleep apnea this is interesting to me because that I don't exhibit any of the qualifications such as weight, been 6ft/185lbs all my adult life. Or blood glucose issues, blood tested every couple of years, everything in balance. Always been a-ok. I don't get stressed about sleep, easily asleep within 15 minutes or less. Don't get sleepy during the day. If anything, my wife is always telling me to slow down. Having said all that, for years I've known of the snoring and occasionally snort myself awake. So yeah, I dunno. Doc visit coming up in about 10 days. We'll see what happens.

thecfarm

jimbarry, ever had wax build up in your ears?
I've had it twice. Once was over night. I woke up one morning and thought, why ain't the alarm going off? I picked my head off the pillow and I heard the alarm. I laid my head back down and could not hear it. Picked my head up and I could hear the alarm. One ear was blocked.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wisconsitom

I got so I noticed I wasn't hearing so well one time, and the doc used a water pick to extract a truly gross amount of wax.

Going out to the parking lot after the procedure, the high-pitched frequencies, which I'd not been hearing lately, we're so prominent, let's just say it was trippy.  What's all that noise?!?
Ask me about hybrid larch!

RetiredTech

I'm a little heavier than Jim. I'm 5'11" and 210, but I wouldn't say obese. I do need to loose probably 15-20 pounds. My wife is always telling me I don't know when to quit working. I have had problems with high blood pressure for years. I hardly ever have problems going to sleep at night, but if something wakes me I have a hard time getting back to sleep. I'm a light sleeper. I rarely get a full 8 hours sleep. Usually around 7 hours. Maybe I've had this issue a good while and didn't even know it. I'll post back when I get some results. My stress test is scheduled for Monday.

realzed

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 14, 2023, 06:29:42 PM
I know what you mean, it sure ain't  for sissies!
As the saying goes:  "Old age is a luxury not afforded to all" and I have to keep reminding myself through all of my own aches and pains (and surgical interventions) of this, whenever I may sort of feel inclined to feel sorry for myself.

Peter Drouin

Around here, one big hospital acquired two small ones. Can't find help. I have a colonoscopy in May. Only took a year to get it set up. ::)

Hope it goes good for you.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

RetiredTech

Hy folks. I had the stress test and echo-cardiogram yesterday. My followup isn't until the end of April due to a shortage of cardiologists at the center. They did say if there was something that needed immediate attention they would call me. So I'm hoping I don't hear from them. I had a treadmill stress test years ago but this was the first chemical stress test I've done. I couldn't walk on the treadmill this time because I just had surgery on my foot. I didn't have any of the reactions they told me to expect from the stress test. I could have napped through the whole process if it weren't for the blood pressure machine pumping up every couple minutes. I got more stress worrying about the test before it happened than I did from the test itself.

Magicman

Thanks for the update.  Hopefully all is OK, but you still wonder, I guess human nature.  I wish best for you.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jimbarry

Quote from: thecfarm on March 15, 2023, 08:52:32 PM
jimbarry, ever had wax build up in your ears?
I've had it twice. Once was over night. I woke up one morning and thought, why ain't the alarm going off? I picked my head off the pillow and I heard the alarm. I laid my head back down and could not hear it. Picked my head up and I could hear the alarm. One ear was blocked.
I don't usually get any wax in my ears but.... the week I lost my hearing I had a shocking amount in my ears. Likely cause I say. And same here, I can turn my head certain ways and not hear bells, beeps and buzzers.

RetiredTech

Some good news to share. I had my first followup visit with the foot surgeon. They took off all the gauze and compression wraps and removed some of the stitches. I just have a big bandaid covering the incision now. I'm out of the special shoe and can wear a regular shoe again, just have to keep it really loose so it doesn't press on the top of my foot. There's still some  swelling and it feels like a knot under my foot, but I can walk a lot better than last week. I go back in another two weeks to get the  rest of the stitches out. Tomorrow I see my primary about the sleep study referral. Hopefully things will be getting back to normal soon. 8)

Magicman

It's good to read the good news update.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

If you guys were in Missouri I could set you up with a really good audiologist I know.  She also washes my clothes and occasionally makes my dinner.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!