iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Soo Locks open March 25

Started by upnut, March 23, 2023, 06:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnut

Normally there would be a large ice breaking operation, but the big lakes have record low ice cover this year...Low Ice on the Great Lakes Winter 2023 (noaa.gov)...Watching the marine tracker on Pasty.net and the big boats are on the move. Another shipping season begins....

Scott B.

The ice breaking operation, dubbed Operation Coal Shovel, has commenced in the lower Great Lakes
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Jeff

I sure wish I was there, the cabin, tonight. Huge solar storm.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

upnut

I've only witnessed the northern lights a couple times personally, traveling along Lake Superior shoreline coming home from hunting camp. Beautiful....

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

jmouton

i thought i read that the arther m. anderson went through today,,,
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

jmouton

nevermind it went under an elevated bridge going to get loaded,,,  i read it totally wrong,
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

chet

The Edwin H Gott was anchored up just outside the locks a couple hours ago. It is now underway and approaching the locks headed north to Lake Superior. So must be opening at Midnight.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

chet

Da wife is outside watchin' da Northern lights as I am typin' this. They are not real bright yet. 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

chet

False alarm the  Edwin H Gott, it's anchored up again.  :D   The Arthur M Anderson is currently unloading in Toledo right now.

chevytaHOE5674

Not much ice out on the big lake. Just some shore ice and some drifting chunks.

Northern lights were some of the best I've ever seen over the lake. Even i was able to snap a couple pictures with my old phone.

Ron Scott

~Ron

thecfarm

Nice light show!!
Mo ice in the rivers around here.
Seems add not to see any ice floating in the river.
Two rivers close to me did not really freeze over.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chet

Ianab

Must have been a good Aurora, there are pictures in the local FB foto group of it. We are too far North to see it regularly, and it's generally just a glow on the horizon, but last night was bright enough that someone got good shots with an Iphone, and the ones with a pro camera were really good. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chuck White

Quote from: upnut on March 23, 2023, 06:31:54 PM
Normally there would be a large ice breaking operation, but the big lakes have record low ice cover this year...Low Ice on the Great Lakes Winter 2023 (noaa.gov)...Watching the marine tracker on Pasty.net and the big boats are on the move. Another shipping season begins....

Scott B.

The ice breaking operation, dubbed Operation Coal Shovel, has commenced in the lower Great Lakes
The local news report last week announced that the St Lawrence Seaway has officially opened and there was record thin ice this season.
Local rivers in this area are all open!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bitternut

The south shore of Lake Ontario is pretty hazy with a cold drizzle at the moment. No ice and no freighters in sight yet. Very little ice this winter on Ontario or Lake Erie. The
ice boom at the head of the Niagara River was taken out early this year due to lack of ice. When they start removing the boom we see a lot of ice flow into Lake Ontario.
Seems as that did not happen this year. The local weather tv news usually show pictures of local harbors choked with pack ice that has been released out of Lake Erie.
 THINK SPRING ;D ;D 8)

I did not know the Northern Lights could be seen in New Zealand? ???

Ianab

It's aurora Australis around the South Pole, but same effect. It's not as visible as the Nth as no one lives that far South. So it's only a high intensity event that can be seen, especially in the Nth Island. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!