iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are rusty blades an issue?

Started by future_vision, May 19, 2023, 07:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

future_vision

I have a HM130MAX and despite my best efforts to keep a tarp over the mill during the winter it inevitably got blown off. I'm looking at a mill now with a rusty blade. Is that an issue? Do I need to 'treat' the blade in any way before milling? Is there a way to prevent the rusting?

YellowHammer

Put in a log and start sawing, it'll clean off, real quick.  It will be duller than it was, as the rust will dull the tooth points.  The best way to prevent rust is to take the band off and store it inside for the winter, or for more than a few days of non use.  As I mentioned, rust will noticeably dull bands just like it will dull axes and knives, so taking the band off is a good investment in time and energy.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Exactly, my thought was "why was the blade still on the sawmill"??  I won't leave a blade on overnight much less while stored for the Winter. 

Develop good habits and take care of your mill and your mill will take care of you.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Rusty blades tend to get pitch build up on them more, as well. I have blades that have gotten moisture on them and got rusty, too. It happens. A little shot of diesel on one while on the mill will help it shine back up.
Too many irons in the fire

future_vision

Thanks. Makes sense that I should have taken it off. Definitely a newb move. Am I correct in thinking these mills, other than the blades, can withstand the elements if they become uncovered?

doc henderson

i keep my accuset covered with a plastic tote.  the engine and other components are out in the weather.  It would always be better to be covered.  chains and rotating parts.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

My Setworks, Fuel & Lube Jugs, and Engine all have "plastic" covers that are always installed at the end of the sawing day.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

alecs

Woodland Mills makes a saw cover that in my experience, doesn't come off in the wind.  It's fairly heavy duty, and has a velcro strap at the bottom if you are really worried about it blowing off - I've never attached the strap.

TSAW

Quote from: Magicman on May 19, 2023, 01:35:14 PM
My Setworks, Fuel & Lube Jugs, and Engine all have "plastic" covers that are always installed at the end of the sawing day.

Where do you get these covers?  Are they direct from Woodmizer or another source?  Just FYI I do not have a Woodmizer

Dad2FourWI

Various equipment on our farm sport custom made covers created by a person who specialized in boat covers/seat covers/etc. Made for extreme weather conditions and tough as can be. You might want to do a few searches for boat covers in your neck of the woods....
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Magicman

Quote from: TSAW on May 19, 2023, 02:38:19 PMWhere do you get these covers?
My covers came from Wood-Mizer and that is over $225 worth of covers but they will easily last 10-15 years.

TSAW

@magicman Thanks I am looking around for covers for my mill

Magicman

Make a Google search for "generator cover".  I suspect that you will find something suitable.

Nebraska

A large grill cover completely covers the head on my B-16. Someday a shed will cover it. :)

Daburner87

I just use a tarp on my woodland mills and the blade has a light surface rust after being exposed in the elements in the same spot for over a year now.  Prob should have just bought the official cover, but I already had the tarp.

I saw someone use a BBQ cover but I couldnt find one large enough.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

Chuck White

I recommend that the blade be removed if the mill is shut down, even for just a few hours.

When removed, I like to wipe them down with a rag soaked with ATF, then coil and put away.

Where a sawmill and or blade is concerned, rust is your enemy!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bushhog920

Rusty blades are rarely a problem if you use diesel. If you don't want to use diesel as lube try only using it at the end of the day by dripping it out a bottle on the blade with engine at idle. Mix in a little atf and it will help clean and protect the blade

Thank You Sponsors!